Author Topic: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...  (Read 101320 times)

mmswm

Re: You know you've achieved nerdhood when...
« Reply #915 on: May 12, 2013, 12:05:35 PM »
I've always wanted to get one of the Giant Microbe plushies.  I like the idea of having Ebola or the Black Death, but the Common Cold is pretty cute.

I have Swine Flu, Black Death, a Bookworm and a Brain Cell. ;D

(How weird does that sound!!!)

I have a nerve cell, blood cell, cold virus, the flu, several STD's (I used to teach middle school, I loaned them to the health teacher for "those" lessons), ebola, and several others I can't recall at the moment. I collect them.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #916 on: May 12, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »
I keep forgetting what the current topic of this thread is when I click on it. So every time I'm like  ":o What are you people doing to contract all these diseases??"

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

TeamBhakta

« Reply #917 on: May 12, 2013, 08:38:56 PM »
I keep hoping that I'll buy an old book one day and there will be an obscure, rare baseball card tucked into it

When I watch Merlin reruns, I end jotting down some of the character names into my baby name notebook (Not pregnant or a parent)

magicdomino

« Reply #918 on: May 13, 2013, 10:19:58 AM »
I keep forgetting what the current topic of this thread is when I click on it. So every time I'm like  ":o What are you people doing to contract all these diseases??"

We're getting them from the Internet.   :)

Let's see, I have:  that last nerve that people are always getting on; a spare brain cell (everybody can use an extra brain cell or two); rabies, common cold, mono, herpes, E. coli, and gangrene.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #919 on: May 17, 2013, 04:37:02 PM »
I've always wanted to get one of the Giant Microbe plushies.  I like the idea of having Ebola or the Black Death, but the Common Cold is pretty cute.

I have a nerve cell, blood cell, cold virus, the flu, several STD's (I used to teach middle school, I loaned them to the health teacher for "those" lessons), ebola, and several others I can't recall at the moment. I collect them.

I have Ebola on my doorknob at the office!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #920 on: May 17, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »

I have Ebola on my doorknob at the office!

Does it stop people from coming in?  I may need to invest in that...  >:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #921 on: May 17, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »
Star Wars weekends at Walt Disney World start tomorrow! It is DH' favorite event there.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #922 on: May 17, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »
I keep hoping that I'll buy an old book one day and there will be an obscure, rare baseball card tucked into it

When I watch Merlin reruns, I end jotting down some of the character names into my baby name notebook (Not pregnant or a parent)

The library came close to that.  We were given an old Baedecker's that had an envelope as a bookmark.  The envelope contained a letter and a business card from a Thomas Cook guide based in Cairo.  The business card proudly announced that the owner was a survivor of the Titanic.

That was fun to research and made a neat entry on the library blog. 

katiescarlett

« Reply #923 on: May 23, 2013, 12:47:00 AM »
Your literature professor tells you some archaic piece of history pertaining to the time period your novel was written in, and tells the class they probably don't know about it.  You then inform the Prof you do and proceed to go into a long spiel about said archaic history.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #924 on: May 23, 2013, 12:54:42 AM »
Your literature professor tells you some archaic piece of history pertaining to the time period your novel was written in, and tells the class they probably don't know about it.  You then inform the Prof you do and proceed to go into a long spiel about said archaic history.

That is awesome!!!!

Pen^2

« Reply #925 on: May 23, 2013, 01:10:35 AM »

We're getting them from the Internet.   :)

Yeah, I've gotten loads of viruses from using the internet. Always a good technically true statement to use if I ever really don't want someone to touch my computer.

How about: someone gives you a rather long and yucky number for something, and you just remember it instantly. When asked why, you explain that it's luckily only a few digits away from being a certain sequence in the top three hundred decimals of pi, and therefore you only had to remember three things instead of fifteen.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #926 on: May 23, 2013, 03:23:32 PM »
Don't remember if it's been mentioned - but speaking Elvish, Klingon, and Esperanto are always good for a few nerd points.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #927 on: May 23, 2013, 08:41:06 PM »
Don't remember if it's been mentioned - but speaking Elvish, Klingon, and Esperanto are always good for a few nerd points.

I know the first one is from Lord of the Rings, second one is from Star Trek.... but what is Esperanto from?

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #928 on: May 23, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »

Esperanto's a constructed language from 1887 that's touted as the replacement for English. More info at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

(looks wariely around at the sudden silence) And NOW you all know why I'm banned from every trivia and pub quiz night in the entire country. It's called an 'idactic memory'. I just remember . . . . stuff. Totally useless in the real world.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #929 on: May 23, 2013, 08:58:23 PM »

Esperanto's a constructed language from 1887 that's touted as the replacement for English. More info at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

(looks wariely around at the sudden silence) And NOW you all know why I'm banned from every trivia and pub quiz night in the entire country. It's called an 'idactic memory'. I just remember . . . . stuff. Totally useless in the real world.

I um.... if there's ever a trivia night... I want you on my team. Also: yeah... mind is boggled from that article.