Author Topic: This is what our doctors want. UPDATE, page 3  (Read 51568 times)

pinkunicorn

Re: This is what our doctors want.
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 04:34:33 PM »
Strong enough?  I'm really confused by that.  It's not like breastmilk comes in whole, 2%, 1%, and skim.  How cold breastmilk be weak?  I get not producing enough, but weak?  ???

Actually, mine was weak. I produced plenty for DD, but it didn't have what she needed. When I was nursing, I all of my pregnancy weight (about 30 lbs) plus and extra 10 pounds--within a couple months of giving birth. I was down to 115 lbs on my 5 foot 7 inch frame. I was eating quite a bit, and eating healthy, and even drinking nutritional supplements, like Ensure, twice a day. I swear I ate more when I was nursing than when I was pregnant. I had to wean DD (actually, she weaned herself. Didn't want anything to do with my ta ta's) when she was a little over 3 months old.

I don't know how I would have been with DS. I tried to nurse him, but he could never figure out how to latch on. Every feeding wound up being stressful for him and me, trying to get him on right. And, with him being the firstborn, I didn't know what I was doing plus I felt I was the most exhausted I'd ever been in my life. I gave up trying to nurse him after 6 weeks.
Never try to fit in when you are meant to stand out!

Minmom3

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2010, 08:15:33 PM »
Strong enough?  I'm really confused by that.  It's not like breastmilk comes in whole, 2%, 1%, and skim.  How cold breastmilk be weak?  I get not producing enough, but weak?  ???

I think the fat content CAN vary, in fact I know it does, over the period of nursing months.  I don't remember what it was, or when, but I know the colostrum is loaded with antibodies and the baby's gut soaks them up nicely for about 24-48 hours and then no longer.  The fat content varies over the months of lactation. 

That said, I had a neighbor who must have had and maintained high test milk from the 1st day,  as her babies were born slender, and by 3 - 4 months old were little pudge monsters, whose feet were so fat the shoes wouldn't stay on, and who stayed fairly chubby through about 3 years, and only then slenderized down into the 50% weight percentile.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 10:57:03 AM »
I feel for you!  I agree with prior posters, that you just keep repeating about this is what dr. says is best for grandbaby.

It's probably difficult for her accept that breastfeeding is considered "the way to go" now, because of what HER dr. obviously told her many years ago.  I have to wonder if her MIL didn't give her grief about not breastfeeding and listening to all the "new-fangled" ideas these doctors have? 

My mom had brother and me in the late 50's early 60's using "twilight sleep."  She still can't get her head around natural childbirth and she's a trained medical professional!  We were raised on formula, I kind of remember her talking about corn syrup, which just boggles, really.  Add that to all the real sugar kool-aid we drank growing up and no wonder we're all addicted to sugar and have obesity problems (I speak specifically about brother and me and for our generation in general).

Sorry for the hi-jack, but all this is to say, we all do the best we know at the time, including your MIL.  Maybe try to appease her a bit by explaining that you know she did what she did at the time because that's what her dr. told her and was considered cutting edge, but this is what we do now. 

Just my .02!  You're doing great!
Becky

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 11:08:17 AM »
WOW!  Learn something new every day.  I never knew that about breastmilk. 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Maujer

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 11:14:03 AM »
I was reading about the formula recall backlash yesterday. Apparently a lot of people are using this as way to say, "SEE - your baby wouldn't be eating beetles if you breast fed."

One of the comments on the post said that she had people give her a really hard time for not breast feeding. She had a seizure disorder and couldn't breastfeed because of the meds. She would explain that to people, but then she decided it was really none of their business. So when someone snarkily ask her why she wasn't breast feeding, she would give the probably not ehell approved response of, "To tick you off."

Honestly, it's a personal choice. What part of that do people not understand?

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 11:23:52 AM »
Strong enough?  I'm really confused by that.  It's not like breastmilk comes in whole, 2%, 1%, and skim.  How cold breastmilk be weak?  I get not producing enough, but weak?  ???

Some women's body aren't very good at making breast milk, or circumstances change and their body can't do it anymore.  I could have fed a small nation.  I figured after all the problems with the pregnancy something ought to go right.  You will also often find that babies that are breastfed v. babies that are formula fed have a slightly different look too them.  They both often get chubby, but it looks different.  Perhaps someone else can explain it better.  As to things changing, I've got a girlfriend who nursed her first two babies just fine, but the third didn't do well at all.  It turned out that she had the kids so close together (her choice) that her body didn't have time to recuperate and she had to switch to formula.  I think she did the same with the last baby as well.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2010, 01:11:06 PM »
I was reading about the formula recall backlash yesterday. Apparently a lot of people are using this as way to say, "SEE - your baby wouldn't be eating beetles if you breast fed."

One of the comments on the post said that she had people give her a really hard time for not breast feeding. She had a seizure disorder and couldn't breastfeed because of the meds. She would explain that to people, but then she decided it was really none of their business. So when someone snarkily ask her why she wasn't breast feeding, she would give the probably not ehell approved response of, "To tick you off."

That just frustrates me to no end.  It's not a contest.  There's no prize for breastfeeding or not breastfeeding.  It's just a decision you make -- or one that your body/circumstances make for you.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2010, 01:47:47 PM »

That just frustrates me to no end.  It's not a contest.  There's no prize for breastfeeding or not breastfeeding.  It's just a decision you make -- or one that your body/circumstances make for you.

WHAT??  NO GOLD STARS?

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 03:24:30 PM »

WHAT??  NO GOLD STARS?

Only if you breastfeed until they're five.  You get a silver one if you make it to three and a bronze one if you make it a full year.  But those gold stars are freakin' elusive, man...

penguinpants

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 04:52:26 PM »
Shucks, and I was so looking forward to the gold stars!  I'll be happy if we make it past 6/7 months -- I know that doesn't always happen, but anything beyond the necessary months will be an awesome bonus.

I know what people mean about a different chubby appearance. He's really plumped up (8 oz per week!) since birth, but he simply looks a little chubbier than before.  He's very strong and agile, and his little shoulders and chest are already getting broader like his daddy! Hitting good physical milestones, and working hard to hit the others as early as he can.

DH is going to try to head as much of this off at the pass, like he's been doing, and he definitely appreciates the ideas for how to talk about all of this, too. 
Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable. -- Jane Austen

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 04:57:51 PM »
Bummer.  I only managed 11 months with the first, and now at 7 months with this one, supplies are not lasting.  Do I get a tin star, at least?

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 05:21:15 PM »
Hmmm... Yeah, I could probably bang one out for you... ;D

Jan74

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 09:23:45 PM »
I don't understand why would someone judge anyone for breastfeeding, unless the child is like, 8 years old.  >:D

Bluenomi

« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 10:17:57 PM »
My MIL formula fed both DH and BIL since thats what everyone did in Scotland in the late 70s. She never breastfeed yet she still gave me lots of advice about it when DD was born. I did a lot of nodding and smiling and then ignoring when she visited. My DSM on the other hand is awesome. She breastfed my sisters until they were about 6 weeks then switched to formula. The only thing she's ever said is that she found it really hard breast feeding at first and good on me for keeping it up.

BTW I'm still breastfeeding 6 month old DD while working full time. I better get a tin star as well!

penguinpants

Re: This is what our doctors want. UPDATE, page 3
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 10:21:55 AM »
Well, she didn't talk about formula, or how we need to start him on solids muy pronto.  She restricted her comments to complaints about how often he was eating (she didn't understand why I couldn't just leave him at home and travel in to the next town to go for a day of shopping . . . ), and reflections on how "needy" breastfed babies are.  I just smiled and said that it didn't bother me at all, and, besides, it wasn't forever.  Her actions, however  . . . she was determined to cook a big meal, which was pretty much a disaster all around.  She'd ask my husband about every ingredient, which was good, but then would use whatever ingredients she wanted, which was not so good.  That meant that I really couldn't eat what she made without seriously upsetting my stomach and the child's.  I found polite ways around that, though (pushing food around my plate while sampling the less offending items), and was able to discard the rest without her notice.  Can't wait to see how the next visit goes . . .
Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable. -- Jane Austen