Author Topic: This is what our doctors want. UPDATE, page 3  (Read 50908 times)

Asharah

Re: This is what our doctors want. UPDATE, page 3
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2010, 08:49:35 PM »
My mom's breastfeeding stories:
Oldest son put on so much weight while nursing, doctor informed her she must be producing pure cream.  ;D
Second son had to be on a three-hour schedule because he had a small stomach. He couldn't eat as much at any feeding because he would so she had to feed him smaller amounts more often.
She claims she couldn't nurse me, her change-of-life baby, for very long because she wasn't producing enough. I guess that's the disadvantage of having 16 years between oldest & youngest.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:20:48 PM by Asharah »
Asharah

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2010, 08:55:12 PM »
Here is a totally, completely off the wall question slightly related to this topic. I am reading a book and the narrator is a 5 year old who breastfeeds on occasions. He says the left is creamier then the right. I was wondering if that is something that the author made up or if you really do get different constancy on each side.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2010, 10:08:58 PM »
Here is a totally, completely off the wall question slightly related to this topic. I am reading a book and the narrator is a 5 year old who breastfeeds on occasions. He says the left is creamier then the right. I was wondering if that is something that the author made up or if you really do get different constancy on each side.

I don't know the answer to that in particular, but I do know that both of my kids had a preference.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

dawbs

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2010, 11:51:55 AM »

My kid is to young to question, but when I pump, the consistancy sometimes *looks* different (especially if the 2 bottles I pump sit so the fats rise up to the top) between the 2.

But that also might be because one side responds better to baby for letdown, the other side responds better to the pump for letdown.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2010, 06:12:32 PM »
Can the OP stick a TMI in the title?

I keep clicking on this thread and regretting it :D

Ms Aspasia

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2010, 05:54:52 AM »
Yes, it is possible.  Initially the milk production is governed by the body's hormonal systems (endocrine?), roughly evenly on both sides.  After about three months, supply and demand has become the key factor, and the milk production becomes localised to the left side and the right side separately.  The side that is fed from less frequently will tend to become creamier and more concentrated in all the antibodies and other constituents, compared to the other side. 

I've heard of that book.  It's called Room, I think.

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2010, 09:31:08 AM »
Yes, it is possible.  Initially the milk production is governed by the body's hormonal systems (endocrine?), roughly evenly on both sides.  After about three months, supply and demand has become the key factor, and the milk production becomes localised to the left side and the right side separately.  The side that is fed from less frequently will tend to become creamier and more concentrated in all the antibodies and other constituents, compared to the other side. 

I've heard of that book.  It's called Room, I think.

Yes - it's Room.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: This is what our doctors want.
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2010, 07:15:04 PM »
I was reading about the formula recall backlash yesterday. Apparently a lot of people are using this as way to say, "SEE - your baby wouldn't be eating beetles if you breast fed."

One of the comments on the post said that she had people give her a really hard time for not breast feeding. She had a seizure disorder and couldn't breastfeed because of the meds. She would explain that to people, but then she decided it was really none of their business. So when someone snarkily ask her why she wasn't breast feeding, she would give the probably not ehell approved response of, "To tick you off."

Honestly, it's a personal choice. What part of that do people not understand?

That just frustrates me to no end.  It's not a contest.  There's no prize for breastfeeding or not breastfeeding.  It's just a decision you make -- or one that your body/circumstances make for you.

It doesn't even stop when your kids are grown and you have passed away. Seriously I'm in my 40's and this fruitcake accquantance of a family member blamed my Mom not breast feeding for my allergies. She didn't even asked just assumed from my age I had formula. Which I did but

• Mom was diagnosed with hepatitis back when she was working in a medical lab. She probably didn't have it, since she was cured in less than 24 hours (lab screw up), but still could not breast feed
  • Mom nearly died when I was born, and I was rushed from Methodist to Texas Children's NICU. She was critical with a massive infection of some kind and 104 fever.
  • I had my 1st allergic reaction in about 1 hour of being born. Massive reaction to probably to residue in the blanket they wrapped me in. Dad described it as me having diaper rash everywhere except my rear end.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jenny_islander

« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »
Besides left side/right side differences, there is also foremilk and hind milk.  That is, our milk changes concentration during a feeding; IIRC, the foremilk is more of a thirst quencher and the hind milk is thicker.  As with fat content on different sides, the foremilk/hind milk ratio gets adjusted by the baby's nursing habits.

Re the OP: There might be an underlying issue connected with certain child training systems that teach, in a nutshell, that you must not ever give the baby what he asks for or he will become a very bad person.  This includes not nursing "on demand."  If she follows one of these child training systems, then nursing every four hours is basic character training.  Yes, it makes no sense.  But the books I am thinking of outline the threatened costs of nursing "on demand" in very frightening terms.

Minmom3

« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2010, 11:44:49 PM »
Besides left side/right side differences, there is also foremilk and hind milk.  That is, our milk changes concentration during a feeding; IIRC, the foremilk is more of a thirst quencher and the hind milk is thicker.  As with fat content on different sides, the foremilk/hind milk ratio gets adjusted by the baby's nursing habits.

Re the OP: There might be an underlying issue connected with certain child training systems that teach, in a nutshell, that you must not ever give the baby what he asks for or he will become a very bad person.  This includes not nursing "on demand."  If she follows one of these child training systems, then nursing every four hours is basic character training.  Yes, it makes no sense.  But the books I am thinking of outline the threatened costs of nursing "on demand" in very frightening terms.

Current books, or books from the 1920's?  Because I've heard of some very odd theories from back then...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

jenny_islander

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2010, 12:18:47 AM »
Both.  Some of the more infamous ones today have an explicitly religious slant, but by and large they recycle ideas about children that were first made popular by psychologists (although the religious writers tend to call psychology evil and vice versa).  The books tell parents, mostly mothers, that children must be made to know their place when they are still infants, not ask for things, be completely predictable, submit to the parent in all things, etc., or they will be very bad people when they grow up, and it will be 100 percent the parent's fault.  This kind of thing tends to stick with a person.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2010, 01:42:48 AM »
You silly people!  All those posts, and no one mentioned that it isn't a Gold Star, it is Gold Tatas.  I've past the 6 month mark and I am checking the mail for my Silver Ones. 

I think some people assume judgment from anyone that makes a different decision on a major thing like baby feeding.  I know my Grandmother gets defensive about it.  She was a farm wife and had my dad on "Cow's milk, Caro Syrup and some other stuff" at two weeks.  I admit I find that shocking, but I've never hinted that's what I thought.  I swear that every time I see my MIL she tells me why she stopped when she did with each of her kids.  I never bring up the topic. 

One thing I don't understand.  If someone hasn't breastfed for a certain period of time, that is it, they can't go back.  So, what good does it do to try to convince them that breastfeeding is best?  Assume that the arguments are persuasive, then what?  They will just feel bad.  As if mothers need more of that. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2010, 08:09:43 PM »
Well, in theory you can go back, but it takes a lot of effort, probably a well-developed letdown reflex, and a very hungry baby who is willing to nurse at an empty breast for more than a few seconds.  Suckling prompts milk production; it has even happened to men who didn't intend to do any such thing!  Google 'male lactation'.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2010, 09:06:50 PM »
You silly people!  All those posts, and no one mentioned that it isn't a Gold Star, it is Gold Tatas.  I've past the 6 month mark and I am checking the mail for my Silver Ones. 

I think some people assume judgment from anyone that makes a different decision on a major thing like baby feeding.  I know my Grandmother gets defensive about it.  She was a farm wife and had my dad on "Cow's milk, Caro Syrup and some other stuff" at two weeks.  I admit I find that shocking, but I've never hinted that's what I thought.  I swear that every time I see my MIL she tells me why she stopped when she did with each of her kids.  I never bring up the topic. 

One thing I don't understand.  If someone hasn't breastfed for a certain period of time, that is it, they can't go back.  So, what good does it do to try to convince them that breastfeeding is best?  Assume that the arguments are persuasive, then what?  They will just feel bad.  As if mothers need more of that. 

Actually that was a fairly common formula up till about the mid 1950s, when commercial formulas became more available.  Late MIL remembered being discharged from the hospital with a formula recipe - I think it was evaporated milk, corn syrup, plus a few other ingredients.  I doubt whether the powdered commercial formulas that were developed at the same time were much superior nutritionally, but were certainly more convenient.  And if she was a farm wife - quite possibly she had to be out there helping her husband in the fields, and the baby's older sisters could feed him.  Then, as with now, some folks just don't have a lot of choice.

As a PP said - if a bottle-feeding mom wants to go back to breastfeeding, technically it is possible.  The "factory" is still there.  However, it would involve a great deal of time/effort - probably not worth it for a mom who is simply trying to appease disapproving friends/relatives.

Thuringwethyl

« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2011, 09:11:42 PM »
Well, in theory you can go back, but it takes a lot of effort, probably a well-developed letdown reflex, and a very hungry baby who is willing to nurse at an empty breast for more than a few seconds.  Suckling prompts milk production; it has even happened to men who didn't intend to do any such thing!  Google 'male lactation'.

I'm afraid to google that.