Author Topic: What an interesting insult!  (Read 8860 times)

Itza

What an interesting insult!
« on: September 23, 2010, 02:50:38 PM »
What if you find the ‘interesting assumption’ insulting? (I'm sure most of them are insulting).

Do you bite your tongue while you say, “What an interesting assumption,” or do you say that then tell the person you’re offended by their assumption?

If it’s a stranger you’re never likely to see again, I can see why that would be the right phrase but if it’s someone in your daily life, maybe it is wise to correct their misconceptions before they start to believe they're correct.

What do you think?

www.opendiary.com/hear_me
Disclaimer: Not for the faint hearted

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Re: What an interesting insult!
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
To me, the phrase is used to indicate that the assumption is offensive and to shut it down.  I think it would probably be best to not go into details unless you have a relationship with someone and it will need to brought up again.

toontownnutter

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 07:34:14 AM »
I wouldn't tell them I was offended because that would then give them a chance to justify their assumption. I think saying what an interesting assumption is enough to indicate you're offended.

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 12:45:37 PM »
     I personally am kinda a puch over/people pleaser/door mat type and despite the fact the person insulted me, I wouldn't want to point it out to them for fear of offending them  :-[  I need a backbone, stat!!!!!!!!
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 01:57:36 AM »
If it is possible to politely correct them I would, not least because it makes it unlikely they will then mention their mistake to other people. This is particularly true of people who do not understand the phrase "interesting assumption" or think that if you use it it means that you have no answer to them and they are correct (after all you aren't denying it).
Pet Hatchery | My books
Killgrace stories - Webserial current date: 3rd October 1929

Jan74

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »
Not super polite of me, but when someone has said something absolutely outrageous (aka, no possibility they didn't mean it as an offense at all), I have used "Wow. I can't believe you've just said that". It is sort of a "What an interesting assumption" 2.0, for the super rude people.

Emmy

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 08:51:28 AM »
In situations where I felt very insulted, I would say something like "No!, abc is true, not xyz!" in a voice that betrays my shock and horror.  I tend to do this based on emotion without much thought.

holly firestorm

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
Not super polite of me, but when someone has said something absolutely outrageous (aka, no possibility they didn't mean it as an offense at all), I have used "Wow. I can't believe you've just said that". It is sort of a "What an interesting assumption" 2.0, for the super rude people.
I think you are being very polite.  I would be tempted to be out and out rude and say, "What an interesting assumption.  I never realized what a moron you are!" >:D

tnpenguinbaby

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:11:09 PM »
My "go to" response when it's really insulting is "Bless your heart!  That was a 'thinkin' thought, not a 'say it out loud' thought!"

NsWife

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 08:21:23 PM »
My "go to" response when it's really insulting is "Bless your heart!  That was a 'thinkin' thought, not a 'say it out loud' thought!"

LOVE IT!

Remember, if you bless someone's heart........
"She is as dumb as a stump, bless her heart."  >:D

tnpenguinbaby

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:07:33 AM »
 ;D  I learned quickly when I moved south that you can be really, really rude as long as you put "bless your heart" in the statement somewhere LOL  Apparently, that phrase is like a 'get out of jail free' card  :D

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 10:09:07 AM »
I persoanlly think that a well placed "I beg your pardon?" is very effective.
NE England

holly firestorm

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 02:46:38 PM »
;D  I learned quickly when I moved south that you can be really, really rude as long as you put "bless your heart" in the statement somewhere LOL  Apparently, that phrase is like a 'get out of jail free' card  :D
It works in Los Angeles, too. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 06:28:20 PM »
I persoanlly think that a well placed "I beg your pardon?" is very effective.

That's my favorite, especially with a raised eyebrow.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »
I can recall a few instances where upon hearing an assumption that I found to be offensive, I gave, in a blank tone, some piece of information that usually shot them up.
For instance:

Racist acquaintance: Gypsies are worthless scum in our society, they all just sit around and steal or collect welfare.
Me: As a matter of fact, I can name at least five people that I happen to know and deeply respect who are Gypsies (enumerate: an NGO worker from whom I learned tons of valuable things, a sociology professor, a comedian, a psychologist, a journalist.)

Acquintance: What do you think you're gonna do with a diploma in philosophy? You'll end-up unemployed! Who will hire a philosopher?
Me: A lot of our graduates work in publicity, PR, cultural marketing, in ethics boards of corporations, in education etc.
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)