Author Topic: What an interesting insult!  (Read 9012 times)

Alboury

• Evil Iggy
  • Nemo me impune definit.
Re: What an interesting insult!
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 05:19:14 PM »
Jolie_kitten: delighting to hear that works out for somebody. I never really got the hang of stating cold facts myself. It works in proper, intellect conversation in which facts are handled and people are ready to change their points of view. But that's not a typical situation to get insulted in, at least not for me.

Instead, my typical method of shutting up gobs is a combination of self-irony and a punch under the belt, then. I can well recall a day at work about a year ago, when the leader of a subcontractor company came to sign his contract. I was just finishing my coffee break and about heading out again to see that all went properly, but stayed for a while yet to pour some coffee for the fellow. And the instant I'd returned the coffee pan to its place I heard the fellow talking to my boss, something like "seems like PR isn't very high in the project budget, with secretaries that small from the lung area" (yes, my hair is rather long). My boss just grunted blankly at that, which didn't seem to satisfy the subcontractor bloke, so his next move was to make an inquiry on why hadn't I gone to the barber on time. I told him that with a student's income, I just can't afford everything. And a barber is one of those things. And when I'm at work during the uni period breaks with a better income, I'm pushing such long days that the barber stores close up before I get home anyway.

Alrighty then. The lad proceeded to making a statement that all long-hair bums are lying if they say they're working, that lot despises work, and then asking where do I spend my money instead. So, I told him that my small savings are spent on beer and shampoo - both get up my head anyway. And thank you a lot, sir, for this uplifting conversation, but some of us have work out there to despise, instead of having a nice little chatter over a nice warm cup of coffee in a nice warm office.

My boss roared with laughter, and I think I will remember the scunner's face evermore. Don't know if he had something yet to say, as I got kind of fed up and returned to my business.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:23:49 PM by Alboury »
Row, row, row thy boat gently down the stream.
Oh Charon, hast thou ever know'd that Death is but a dream?"

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 03:10:53 AM »
Jolie_kitten: delighting to hear that works out for somebody. I never really got the hang of stating cold facts myself. It works in proper, intellect conversation in which facts are handled and people are ready to change their points of view. But that's not a typical situation to get insulted in, at least not for me.

The trick is - trolls and insulters don't expect facts in return. So when they get them, they are dumbfounded enough to give me time to change the subject.
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Alboury

• Evil Iggy
  • Nemo me impune definit.
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 11:11:38 AM »
It seems like insulters of that kind only aim at insulting as a spur-of-the-moment thing, then. I've only met people with so deeply founded dismissing thoughts towards different people (blacks, gypsies, Russians, Swedes, Estonians, leftists, students (especially of humanities), the unemployed, the Green Movement etc.) that they consider their insults as common truths and have an arsenal of smug phrases to diminish cold facts with, so it's kind of futile to try facts. You know, the "I know everything about everything because I am a [place profession here] and I have done this work for 30 years" kind of people. No one they have decided to dismiss will have any chance of winning them over with facts.

But it's still great that facts are listened to somewhere in this good old world!
Row, row, row thy boat gently down the stream.
Oh Charon, hast thou ever know'd that Death is but a dream?"