Author Topic: Rescued in El Paso  (Read 1227 times)

only1genevieve

Rescued in El Paso
« on: June 15, 2007, 05:42:57 PM »
A very bad situation was helped by the addition of some distant relatives and I had to mention it.

My BF and I drove down to visit his immediately family in a small town in West Texas.  On our way home, we broke down right outside of El Paso (this is a car with less than 30,000 miles and regular maintenance, so it was totally random).  The dealership told us we needed a new transmission and they had to order it - in other words, we were totally stuck and BF had to be back in LA by Monday for work. 

His family has a large network and BF's mom made a few calls.  So, his family in El Paso - I guess it would be second cousins, since it was his grandfather's cousin - right? - drove out, picked us up, took us to a really nice dinner, put us up in their place, made us breakfast, and drove us to the airport the next day.  That alone would be great, but they were so gracious and friendly the whole time it really made what could have been a disasterously stressful happening much, much easier.  Needless to say, they are going to be getting a heartfelt TY note :)

AdakAK

Re: Rescued in El Paso
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 06:06:21 PM »
How very kind of them!  It sounds like he has a very nice family. 

What will you do about getting your car back?

Susan

only1genevieve

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 02:28:20 PM »
Since it is still under warranty, we are hoping that Mazda Corporation will pay to have the car shipped back (since any extra miles it incurs getting back to us would take away from our warranty miles, ultimately) and also reimburse us for our plane tickets.  Actually, we feel that since signs are pointing to the fact that the car is probably a lemon (continuous battery issues, a dead transmission, indications that there is a short in the car somewhere), it should really be replaced, but we'll see how that turns out.

The second option is that my BF's mother will go to El Paso and drive the car to LA, and fly back. She was going to visit at the end of July, and hopefully it should be fixed by then.  The bummer is that she will have to drive that whole way alone.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 02:55:42 PM »

Aw, that was really nice of his family!
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem