Author Topic: Who should return gifts?  (Read 1576 times)

caroljones

Who should return gifts?
« on: October 23, 2010, 09:37:51 PM »
If you give a gift that is undamaged but for some reason the recipient wants or needs to return it is the onus on the giver or the recipient to do the work of returning it? Let's say this is a situation where a gift receipt wasn't given to the buyer of the gift so they couldn't provide it when gifting.

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
Re: Who should return gifts?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:44:59 PM »
The recipient.  The giver was kind enough to buy the gift in the first place, and if the recipient finds it unsatisfactory for any reason, she needs to deal with te practicalities of returning/exchanging it.

As a giver, I have volunteered to exchange a handful of things (usually when I buy clothes for my dad; when he guesses his size wrong, I'll usually go exchange whatver I bought him because it's easier for me to do than for him), but I would never imagine asking someone to do that for me.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 11:40:38 PM »
The recipient, no exceptions. If there's no gift receipt, sell it or give it away instead.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:17:11 AM »
   With only  extremely rare exceptions the recipient.  Grandma's in a nursing home and it's the wrong size nightly I'd say it might be possible to ask the giver, but it's grandma and she's in a nursing home. 

some stores can exchange/store credit/even refund without any receipt at all , the UPC may still be on the box/tag or they may know their merchandise enough.

caroljones

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 09:50:26 AM »
Thanks, everyone.

I should have been more clear. I have the original receipt but not the gift one to include with it. If they ask me I will certainly give them the original. If I get a gift receipt I always include it in the package.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 09:59:21 AM »
you could put the original recipt in an envelope and seal it and mark it recipt?
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 10:51:28 AM »
Thanks, everyone.

I should have been more clear. I have the original receipt but not the gift one to include with it. If they ask me I will certainly give them the original. If I get a gift receipt I always include it in the package.

I think that will depend a bit on how close you are to the recipient, then.  My grandma keeps all the receipts for things she buys us, and if something's the wrong size I'll ask her for the receipt to exchange for an identical but differently sized item.  I'm still the one who does the exchanging.  And if I'm not close enough to someone that I feel comfortable asking that, I sell/get store credit/regift/donate the whatever it is anyway.

flowersintheattic

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »
Depending on the gift, I'll let the recipient know that I have the original receipt if it needs to be returned or exchanged. I generally do this with books (when I'm not sure the person already owns it) and clothes (when I'm not sure of size/style), but not with every gift I give. I tend to not give the original receipt unless asked explicitly for it.
...I learned my lesson / And yes, I still remember the last one / But this time will be different / Until I do it again... ~Phish, "Kill Devil Falls"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 10:06:05 PM »
you could put the original recipt in an envelope and seal it and mark it recipt?

That's what I do.

I figure, they probably can guess about how much I spent anyway. Putting it in the envelope allows them to toss the receipt without ever looking at it.

I don't like to make them ask me for the receipt. I fear they might hesitate to do so, or it's just an extra piece of "business" for me to forget to do.

Minmom3

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 09:18:48 PM »
The recipient, no exceptions. If there's no gift receipt, sell it or give it away instead.

I think there ARE sometimes exceptions - if a gift is clothing that does not fit, and was purchased from a store not present in the recipients locale, then I think the giver needs to handle the return/exchange.  This happened to me an awful lot when I was young, where I live in California, and the relatives were in New York, and bought lovely things in the wrong size from a local store that wasn't IN Los Angeles or San Francisco...   
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

caroljones

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »

I think there ARE sometimes exceptions - if a gift is clothing that does not fit, and was purchased from a store not present in the recipients locale, then I think the giver needs to handle the return/exchange.  This happened to me an awful lot when I was young, where I live in California, and the relatives were in New York, and bought lovely things in the wrong size from a local store that wasn't IN Los Angeles or San Francisco...  

You bring up a good point.

I always try to determine where a recipient likes to shop and if there are those stores near them. I have friends on the East Coast and check with them to make sure if i send them something other than a gift card they can easily return it.

I do almost all of my gift buying online as I am not free to hit the malls due to my dad's health and having no one to stay with him while I'm gone.

In the case above where I buy something through Amazon, it would entail shipping it back to Amazon so I guess the onus would be on me in that case. If I can buy something online from a store I know they frequent then I'll either buy a gift or a gift card for them. In that case I think they should physically take the item to the store themselves. A lot of the retailers here allow you to bring things back to a store even if you bought it online and that does make it easier.

In the case of the OP I'm replying to in this thread, that's a tough one. I would surely rather ask if you had a store where you live where I was planning on purchasing and if you didn't I'd ask you to suggest a store or I'd buy a gift card for a store that is in proximity to you.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
unless the store can be accessed much more easily by the giver than the recipient.  there might be a case or two where the giver gets it from a location that they can get to and the recipient couldn't easily get to - in that case logic would have the giver take care of it.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 01:13:49 PM »
Generally, the recipient.

Although if it's ordered online or purchased at a store or from a source that is a long distance or otherwise not easily reached by the recipient, the giver should do it.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC