Author Topic: Spin off of taking Christmas decortions down- When do you put them up  (Read 3122 times)

Rosey

• Super Hero!
Re: Spin off of taking Christmas decortions down- When do you put them up
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 07:59:21 AM »
Usually the first weekend after Thanksgiving weekend - we go away for Thanksgiving, and we aren't home the weekend immediately following to decorate. I don't know if we'll be putting up a tree this year though - the new kitten demolished the old tree, and he can't be kept from the tree by threat of the tree monster (aka, tha vacuum) like the older cat can, so we may just give it a pass  :'(  We have too many ornaments that are important to us though to risk the cats pulling them all off the tree (again) this year. It ended up being mostly stressful, which kind of defeats the purpose.

My littlest dog ate a fake Christmas tree once. She got as far as one branch and then get incredibly sick. She hasn't eaten a branch since.

Could you put out a little tree first and see if your kitten attacks that? Or seek out a spray that would turn her off from the tree? With dogs, orange spray tends to help.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:22:27 PM by Rosey »

CherryRipe

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 08:14:08 AM »
Our tradition is to decorate the house for Christmas on the day after Thanksgiving. I never shop on "Black Friday." Instead, we put up the (fake) tree, I play Christmas music, bake some of those easy to bake Pillsbury cookies, and I decorate the tree and the house. It's a wonderfully relaxing and fun way to start the season!

OT, but I can't find Pillsbury ANYTHING here in Australia......and I really loved those cookies, too.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 11:27:32 AM »
Weekend after Thanksgiving. That's how everyone in my family does it.

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2010, 02:54:18 PM »
I'm going to suggest you all read The Twenty-Four Days Before Christmas, which is this atheist's favorite Christmas story.  It's an early book in Madeleine L'Engle's Austin family series.  Vicky is a little girl, and Mrs. Austin is pregnant with Susie.  Every day in the month of December the family does something to decorate for Christmas.  I <3 this book.
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  — High Dudgeon

Nibsey

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 10:42:38 PM »
My older DD's birthday is the 12th of December, and I think I'm going to adopt your idea, too. I really would *love* to be 'that' house on the street (you know, everyone waits to see their lights) but I don't want DD1's birthday to fall by the wayside, it kind of already does because the second weekend of Dec is DH's family's Christmas.

My DD shares a birthday with yours :)  We have her birthday party the first Saturday in December (to avoid too much overlap with Christmas parties) and decorate the house on the Sunday.

Outdoor decorations usually go up the weekend after November 11.

It's my birthday too  :D so the decorations go up the day before so I get to open my present next to the tree...I'm such a child  8)
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »
My older DD's birthday is the 12th of December, and I think I'm going to adopt your idea, too. I really would *love* to be 'that' house on the street (you know, everyone waits to see their lights) but I don't want DD1's birthday to fall by the wayside, it kind of already does because the second weekend of Dec is DH's family's Christmas.

My DD shares a birthday with yours :)  We have her birthday party the first Saturday in December (to avoid too much overlap with Christmas parties) and decorate the house on the Sunday.

It's my birthday too  :D so the decorations go up the day before so I get to open my present next to the tree...I'm such a child  8)

Nibsey, I think I love you!  :D

Nibsey

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2010, 07:16:37 AM »

My DD shares a birthday with yours :)  We have her birthday party the first Saturday in December (to avoid too much overlap with Christmas parties) and decorate the house on the Sunday.

It's my birthday too  :D so the decorations go up the day before so I get to open my present next to the tree...I'm such a child  8)

Nibsey, I think I love you!  :D

Well I glad someone loves me because of it, SO says he loves me inspite of 'my wierd christmas obsession'  :D lol
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 07:56:40 AM by Nibsey »
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

CherryRipe

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2010, 07:49:01 AM »
Weird Christmas obsession, eh?  Well......this year, I'm excited to spend Christmas WITHOUT my family, and without the stressful run-up, and the big dinner of food that I either can't eat, or shouldn't eat, or don't even particularly like.  Rayanne's planning to stay here over (most of) the summer as well, and I figure we'll just have a chill day with whoever's here--maybe a trip to the beach, maybe a nice dinner at home later, whatever.  I'm really looking forward to doing something different--it won't be as "big" as the Christmases I've celebrated all my life with my family, but that's kind of the point--smaller means less stressful, and less expensive as well.  I'll still send the family SOMETHING, I'm just not going to stress about getting everything "perfect."

Nibsey

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2010, 07:56:04 AM »
Weird Christmas obsession, eh?  Well......this year, I'm excited to spend Christmas WITHOUT my family, and without the stressful run-up, and the big dinner of food that I either can't eat, or shouldn't eat, or don't even particularly like.  Rayanne's planning to stay here over (most of) the summer as well, and I figure we'll just have a chill day with whoever's here--maybe a trip to the beach, maybe a nice dinner at home later, whatever.  I'm really looking forward to doing something different--it won't be as "big" as the Christmases I've celebrated all my life with my family, but that's kind of the point--smaller means less stressful, and less expensive as well.  I'll still send the family SOMETHING, I'm just not going to stress about getting everything "perfect."

Sorry it was his words not mine, SO doesn't really like christmas, the only time he enjoyed christmas was the year we did it the same way as your doing it. But our families were a 24 hr flight away at the time so it we weren't expected to show up.  ::) It was pretty neat.
Éire (Ireland)

MissRose

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 08:34:31 AM »
I usually do my decorations the week of Thanksgiving.  I don't put up alot of stuff besides a few Xmas items and a small artificial tree with ornaments.  I live in an apartment & don't have alot of room.

My mother always puts her tree up and stuff the day after Halloween.  As far back as I can remember, she has done it that way.  The decorations and tree come down New Years Day.

marcel

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2010, 09:15:38 AM »
I am in a Saint Nicholas celebrating country, so 6th of december.

I must admit that I do not celebrate Saint Nicholas myself, and I have been guilty of getting a tree the 4th or 5th, but then I do keep the curtains closed till the 6th.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

crankycat

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
As far as decorations go, I only usually put up my white artificial tree, but I start right after Thanksgiving and leave it up until January 6th.  Although, one year I did leave it up until my sister came home on leave from the military, which was sometime in February.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2010, 03:49:29 PM »
We're in an apartment, so we only do inside decorations, but I think my personal time limit would stay about the same when we have a house.

I say weekend after Thanksgiving, but in reality, it's whenever we get around to it, and it depends on whether we have a real or fake tree that year (we alternate, since DF prefers real, and I prefer fake, though the real ones are winning me over).  Some years, it's early December, and one memorable year I ended up surprising DF with a tree on December 23.  My birthday is December 17, and I am picky in ways about it getting mixed up with Christmas, but I don't mind having Christmas decorations up, because I love Christmas, and the decorations are so shiny and festive :)  I only really get bent out of shape if my birthday present is wrapped in Christmas paper, or when I have birthday parties and everyone complements me on the super fun Christmas party ::)  Our decorations come down whenever we get around to it (usually sometime in January if we have a real tree, but we've put it off through February on fake tree years, because we're lazy).

As far as other people decorating, I don't care when the decorations go up or come down, but I will roll my eyes if it's done before November.  I walk by Macy's on the way to work, and they've had Christmas trees in the store for a couple weeks now, which just annoys me. 

MizB

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2010, 05:56:29 PM »
Growing up we put the tree up two weeks before Christmas. When I went to college it became thanksgiving weekend. This year idk when I'll get to it if at all.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Jessie

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2010, 06:13:32 PM »
Usually the first weekend after Thanksgiving weekend - we go away for Thanksgiving, and we aren't home the weekend immediately following to decorate. I don't know if we'll be putting up a tree this year though - the new kitten demolished the old tree, and he can't be kept from the tree by threat of the tree monster (aka, tha vacuum) like the older cat can, so we may just give it a pass  :'(  We have too many ornaments that are important to us though to risk the cats pulling them all off the tree (again) this year. It ended up being mostly stressful, which kind of defeats the purpose.

My littlest dog ate a fake Christmas tree once. She got as far as one branch and then get incredibly sick. She hasn't eaten a branch since.

Could you put out a little tree first and see if your kitten attacks that? Or seek out a spray that would turn her off from the tree? With dogs, orange spray tends to help.

I just saw this, I'm sorry for not responding sooner! It's not so much that they eat tree, but they climb on it, or stand on the couch and swat at the ornaments.If we do put a tree up this year, I will definitely try some of the spray stuff