News:

• February 25, 2018, 07:47:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Could you have been less extreme?" (warning: cake mentioned)  (Read 14063 times)

Yvaine

Re: "Could you have been less extreme?" (warning: cake mentioned)
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 06:40:05 AM »
She was totally rude.  I really don't know why people get some worked up about stuff like this...I mean, cake!

I had a similar experience on Talk Like A Pirate Day.  I would always bring in cupcakes and decorations and stuff (even though no one would ever talk like a pirate!  They still ate my food though  ;D)

But...but...talking like a pirate is fun!  ;D At my work, we sometimes do it even when it's not TLAPD. I'll be helping my boss make a schedule, and there'll be something scheduled for a room that hasn't been decided yet, and it'll say "Arr." for "to be arranged"--and we start pronouncing it piratically and have lots of fun with it.

Toots, your co-worker was rude and should have just stayed out of the way if she hated the idea that much. And definitely shouldn't have eaten your cake while being a hater!

Sidenote: the cake warning made me laugh, which is hard to do before coffee.  ;)

penelope2017

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 06:43:02 AM »
I would have also been upset. I've been in this position also with work - hearing you say you are too emotionally invested struck a relatable nerve.

But don't let her take your joy away. I am in the newspaper biz and we all have fun with punctuation day. I actually think so many people screw up punctuation marks that it is a rather useful holiday, in fact. Even making jokes on Twitter/FB about it, etc. is a chance for someone to learn something they didn't know.

Maybe you can make a cake next year that is a mix of punctuation marks ( #%$#!)  ...and tell her it is dedicated to her because of her great attitude last year. If I worked in your office I'd crack up at that.

Yvaine

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 06:46:03 AM »

Maybe you can make a cake next year that is a mix of punctuation marks ( #%$#!)  ...and tell her it is dedicated to her because of her great attitude last year. If I worked in your office I'd crack up at that.

YES. Penelope, where would you like your new Internet delivered?

whylime13

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2010, 06:58:08 AM »
I think you're justified in your hurt feelings, she went way beyond sarcastic and well into snippy and rude, and all over a free and unexpected piece of cake.  She doesn't seem like the type of person who if you talked to her would think about it and then change her ways, so I wouldn't worry about trying to talk to her, it would just be a waste of your time and energy.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 07:14:24 AM »
"What kind of holiday is THAT?"

an excuse to make cake -- do I need any more reason?
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

camlan

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 07:47:55 AM »
There's a National Punctuation Day????? And I missed it????? (Brief sob.)

The snarky woman was mean. Mean in the "I'm taking my ball and bat and going home, so the rest of you can't play anymore" type of mean.

Playground mean. Pre-teen snobby girl mean.

If she had a specific complaint, like too much activity too near her desk, it would be fair for her to address that. But to go on and on and on about it not being a "real" holiday was too much. Eating a piece of the cake? Beyond the pale. Frankly, if she detests the holiday, and does so out loud on the presence of others, she doesn't get to eat the cake. If she detests the holiday but keeps her mouth shut about it, she gets cake. If she loves the holiday with all the longing in her geeky soul, she gets two pieces of cake.

Toots, just remember that some people *will* look a gift horse in the mouth. Once the owner of my company tasked me with creating some sort of fun event, as the company had been working full stop for months and everyone was tired and cranky. We had a little contest and the day the results were announced, there was a pizza lunch for everyone, paid for by the company. For three days beforehand, all I heard was criticism of the pizza--I was ordering the wrong kinds, not enough, too much, from the wrong pizza shop, it would all be cold when it arrived, etc. This, despite the fact that I knew all the dietary restrictions in the company and had checked to make sure the veggies and the ultra-low fat people and the mega-meat people all were taken care of. Everyone came and had a good time, but it turned me off doing anything nice for co-workers ever again. I really just wanted to shout in the main lobby, "It's free pizza, people! Bring your own lunch if you hate pizza, for heaven's sake! Don't come if you think the contest is lame! But don't get your knickers in a twist over something nice that somebody's doing for you!"

The whole incident taught me a very important lesson. I've stopped complaining that the company Holiday party is at an inconvenient location or an awkward night, or that the Ice Cream Sundae Celebration is being held on the busiest day I've had all year or that I really don't want to bond with co-workers over bagels and doughnuts every Friday morning. If there's a festivity at work, I always stop by and thank the coordinator, even if I don't like the activity or food provided. It takes nothing to say, "Thank you so much for putting this together for the team," and at the very least, it's not going to hurt the feelings of the person who hears it. Because it really is the thought that counts in situations like these, and not the actual food/drink/activity.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 07:59:45 AM »
Every day should be cake day.

I have been in some office situations where the brass had to come down on the number of celebrations.  If you're getting to a point where the common file cabinet is a smorgasbord at least once a week, maybe it's time to pull back.   Barring that, though, I defer to my initial thought:  Every day should be cake day.

Let it go, Toots.  You'd be a big hit in my world.

Now I think I'm going to bake some cupcakes. 

TootsNYC

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »

One year a co-worker pulled me aside and confided that he thought the whole thing was "silly."  I responded that that was kind of the point.  He never said anything else about it to me, though.

Ummmm, yeah, that totally IS the point, isn't it?

What, did he think you didn't know that already?

My mom really beat it into our heads when we were kids: you aren't entitled to be embarrassed by someone else's geekiness or nerdiness or doofus-ness.

"What kind of holiday is THAT?"

an excuse to make cake -- do I need any more reason?

Yup! I mean, I'd seen the comma cake pan for years . . .

(Yvaine, thanks for laughing at the cake warning! Score for me . . . )

KimberlyRose

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 01:53:54 PM »
(Animala, there was a big cake kerfuffle on another forum--Life in General, I think. Someone thought us E-Hellers are weird about cake. So, I thought I'd warn people)

Really?  Now I've heard everything......CAKE?!?!?  I've heard about people fighting over sex, politics, religion, and sports, but why desserts?  What have they ever done to us?

If it's the same thread I'm thinking of, the cake part was a joke.  It's just that the number of warnings were starting to get a little out of hand, and someone started a thread to ask about it.  This being EHell, at a certain point things started to get a little silly.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 02:10:52 PM »
Geeky holidays are awesome; I enjoy making pi-shaped cookies on Pi Day (as I am not kitchen-worthy enough to attempt a pi-shaped pie).  People go, "Eee! Cookies!" and have varying amounts of amusement learning about pi.

Of course there are people who think I'm weird for celebrating Pi Day, but nobody ever whines about getting cookies, and I'm plenty geeky enough to take their odd looks as a badge of honor.  Heck, I wore one of my Pi By Numbers* t-shirts to work today for casual Friday; I had a security guard think it was a Chinese character at first, and then be impressed with my geek-brilliance when I explained it to him.  Then later, one of my more geeky co-workers looked at me mock-sternly and said, "I hope you brought enough Pi for everyone."

It wasn't till I got home that DF gave me the perfect response that I had totally missed:  "Of course!  Pi is infinite!"

*Yes, I have more than one. Shush. At least they're in different colors.

BWAHAHA!  I love it!
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Kaypeep

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 02:35:51 PM »
If I were you, I would continue with your morale boosting celebrations but make a point of not setting treats out near snarky co-worker, if in fact the real reason for her attitude was that the celebration interrupted her workspace.

At my last job, for 3 years my desk was behind the long,low row of file cabinets where every spread was set out, and it drove me nuts. People grazing all day, always asking me "What's the celebration?"  or "who's birthday is it?" etc.   It got to a point where I put on headphones (not plugged in to anything- I don't work well with music playing) just so people wouldn't try to interrupt me.

Also, if you're viewing the office like 'home' there's nothing wrong with that. Many of us spend more time daily with our co-workers than our own family members. Chalk this surly co-worker up to being like a bratty teenage daughter who will never admit to liking anything and is hard to please.  ALmost every family has one at some point.  I'm sure there were plenty of other people there who DID appreciate it, so don't let one person spoil the gesture you made.  You can't please everyone all the time.  If it were a 'legitimate' holiday, I'm sure she'd find something to whine about then, too.

dman

• Alas, my children! This is the day you shall always remember as the day that you almost...
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 03:33:19 PM »
There's a National Punctuation Day????? And I missed it????? (Brief sob.)

The snarky woman was mean. Mean in the "I'm taking my ball and bat and going home, so the rest of you can't play anymore" type of mean.

"I'm taking my ball and bat AND A PIECE OF CAKE and going home"

Balletmom

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 04:04:49 PM »
Here's what the snark was really mad about: She didn't think of it first. If there was even the slightest bit of positive attention or praise or acknowledgment from upper management, she was really ticked. (she can't be expected to think of fun stuff because she's actually WORKING and so on.)

The passive-aggressive comments weren't about the cake, they were about Toots, which is why she picked up on the hostility. I see jealous people here.

My complaining coworker makes passive aggressive comments a lot regarding things I have done, suggested, arranged, or made. Others have picked up on the p/a nature of them. She can't say "I don't see why you're team leader and I think you always get easy students (!) because the principal likes you better" so she makes little digs.

We arranged to have a Chinese New Year celebration last year at the end of our Asian themed literature unit. We had it the same day as the Valentine's party--at the last minute, the school added another special event that took about a half hour to the day, but it wasn't a big deal since we could just shorten the celebration. We had fried rice (yum) and read Chinese folk tales and storybooks and looked at some videos of the actual holiday in China today. CC had to do nothing, absolutely nothing--and yet she complained all day she just didn't know HOW she was going to fit it in.

She started off the next planning meeting wanting to complain about the "schedule" and the other teacher shut her down.

I think she ate the rice, too. I know she'd eat the cake and complain. She'd also complain that she's too busy to think of things like this.

Too bad Toots couldn't say, "If it's not a real holiday then that's not real cake."

JacklynHyde

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2010, 09:21:26 PM »
We celebrate Punctuation Day wholeheartedly in my faculty!  Anyone who denigrates the day not only forfeits their cake but also owes for lunch.  ;D

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 02:28:22 AM »
Next year you sh old tell her that the Great Punctuator says that people who hate the holiday shall not have cake. Period.  ;)