News:

• February 21, 2018, 05:46:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Could you have been less extreme?" (warning: cake mentioned)  (Read 14029 times)

Jocelyn

Re: "Could you have been less extreme?" (warning: cake mentioned)
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 01:41:35 PM »

I had a similar experience on Talk Like A Pirate Day.  I would always bring in cupcakes and decorations and stuff (even though no one would ever talk like a pirate!  They still ate my food though  ;D)
A couple of years ago, I had eye surgery on Talk Like A Pirate Day. As soon as I got to the recovery room, I put on my pirate hat and hung a parrot on a perch from the IV pole, and put another parrot on my shoulder. As anyone came into the room, I would say 'ARGH.' All evening long, I'd hear a knock on the door, and there'd be someone new peeking in...the nurses must have been calling their friends who worked on other units, 'You've got to come down and see this!'
The next morning they wheeled me to the clinic for the surgeon to see me before I left for home. I'd say 'ARGH' to everyone we passed. Some people didn't get it, but the ones who did, really broke up.  >:D

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 03:00:59 PM »
That is awesome, Jocelyn!!!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
Please, don't stop making the cake!  And please post photos next time you do!  There is never an excuse to not have cake.

That said, I'm willing to bet Ms. Rain On Your Parade felt the need to snark because it was your idea and/or had a chip on her shoulder and anyone would have gotten snarked at.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 03:48:21 PM »
Not only do I think that you should not stop celebrating National Punctuation Day, I think you should start celebrating *every* silly holiday you can find.

With cake.

Starting with Sneak a Cucumber onto Your Neighbor's Porch Night.

(Bluemountain has an ecard for it. That makes it a real holiday  >:D)

Twik

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »
Ooh, someone is upset about celebrating proper punctuation. Bet I know what her e-mails are like.

EvilTwik would sneak scraps of paper under her door, under things in her in-basket, etc. that just say

"!"

"@"

":"

and slowly drive her mad....
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Cz. Burrito

« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »
Why on earth would somebody get upset about an opportunity to have CAKE?!  I mean, it's cake!  About punctuation marks!  That's just awesome.  Her reaction was very hostile.  :(

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2010, 06:24:08 PM »

I had a similar experience on Talk Like A Pirate Day.  I would always bring in cupcakes and decorations and stuff (even though no one would ever talk like a pirate!  They still ate my food though  ;D)
A couple of years ago, I had eye surgery on Talk Like A Pirate Day. As soon as I got to the recovery room, I put on my pirate hat and hung a parrot on a perch from the IV pole, and put another parrot on my shoulder. As anyone came into the room, I would say 'ARGH.' All evening long, I'd hear a knock on the door, and there'd be someone new peeking in...the nurses must have been calling their friends who worked on other units, 'You've got to come down and see this!'
The next morning they wheeled me to the clinic for the surgeon to see me before I left for home. I'd say 'ARGH' to everyone we passed. Some people didn't get it, but the ones who did, really broke up.  >:D

LOVE this! I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

ginlyn32

« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2010, 07:58:55 PM »

comment deleted by poster.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:10:37 PM by ginlyn32 »
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

CherryRipe

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »

Hmm.....that makes me REALLY wish that I'd packed my pirate costume when I came to Australia, since I was a pirate last year.  I wore black yoga pants and a black-and-white striped shirt that I already had, I sewed an eye patch out of scraps of black fabric, made a sword out of cardboard, tin foil, and hockey tape, pinned a Beanie Baby parrot to my shoulder, and wore a bandanna on my head.  It looked pretty cool, and cost me absolutely nothing.

IWish

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2010, 11:43:00 AM »
Yes, she was rude and hostile.

I agree with Balletmom - her remarks are totally because she is jealous of you. It's not about the cake or the holiday, per se. She is upset because you are getting positive attention from everyone because of a funny idea (celebrate Punctuation Day), an imaginative effort (cakes shaped like a comma and question mark, which is genius BTW) AND delicious, homemade cake! And she has to hear all those comments because she sits close.

Please don't let this stop you from doing it next year. Her comments just show her true colors to everyone else. Believe me, they can see through that snark.

It would have really hurt my feelings too, though.

Specky

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2010, 12:25:55 PM »
Did you  have continuous videos of Victor Borge (hopefully spelled correctly) and his audible punctuatation running?  Why not?  ;D

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »
Your coworker was mean.

And I can't believe I missed National Punctuation Day!  That is so going on my calendar for next year.

I know you didn't ask for hugs but *hugs*
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

hobish

• Release the gelfling!
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 02:04:01 PM »
I agree with Balletmom. Someone was mad that she didn't think of it first.

My biggest complaint when I was working was that I usually wasn't included in office celebrations or as an afterthought. This was because not only was I a receptionist, I was a Temp.

And when you are a temp, no one even bothers to remember your name. It's TheTemp. You're lucky if people even great you or remember to say Good Morning.

ginlyn

You need to come work with me. More than once my department has decided to have “Temp Appreciation Day” on our own, just for everything they do for us. They get birthdays and showers and cake when they get hired or get another job just like everyone else. We love our temps (and interns).

I also thought the cake warning was funny.

Your co-worker sounds pretty miserable. I (and many of my co-workers) have a sarcastic sense of humor, and there is a lot of “you suck” type humor in my office. Even so, it sounds like your co-worker was over the line. Joking with you might be understandable, even if it really wasn’t that funny. Writing “Does anyone else hate this holiday as much as I do?” where others will see it apropos of nothing … that’s just mean and disrespectful.

I hope she didn’t ruin your good day.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Miss Misha

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2010, 02:46:49 PM »
I don't blame you, Toots, for being hurt by her over-the-top reaction.  Waaaay out of line.

Toss me into e-Hell, but I am the cake maker who has put the hostility<> piece of cake rule in place.  I've actually confronted people who whined/moaned/didn't like the cake honoree and then had the cajones to show up for a free piece.  Um, no.  I made this cake in my spare time, out of the goodness of my heart and am sharing nicely with my co-workers.  If you deride, snicker or snark, no cake for you.   

Furthermore, dontcha love the ones who say stuff like, "but I can't eat chocolate/eggs/bird feathers" or whatever then proceed to plow through two pieces?

Hushabye

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »
All I have to say is how can you tease us with all this talk of cake and not share with the rest of us?  ;D