Author Topic: Sofa slipcover keeps slipping  (Read 7608 times)

Just Lori

• USA
Sofa slipcover keeps slipping
« on: September 26, 2010, 07:38:15 PM »
We've decided to not replace the sofa until the kids are out of the house (OK, hopefully we don't have to wait that long.)  The sofa is still in good shape structurally, but it's taken a beating with spills.  Anyhow, I bought a one-piece slipcover a few weeks ago, and it actually looks OK.  Sure, it looks like a slipcover, but at least it doesn't look like a discolored sofa!  I wish I had purchased a two-piece slipcover, but the one-pieces were on sale when I bought it and it's on now, so there's no turning back.

Anyhow, my problem is that the slipcover keeps becoming untucked.  Both my kids and my husband seem incapable of just sitting there.  They have to sprawl on it, and the slipcover slips out of its nice little tucked in self. 

Has anyone had any luck with something to keep the slipcover in place?  I remember my mom used to have these corkscrew pins that she used to keep a slipcover in place.  I also saw some things that you stick behind the cushions.  Do they work?  We definitely have a bigger sofa, I don't know if anything will keep it in place.

Malaika

Re: Sofa slipcover keeps slipping
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 07:44:46 PM »
I've seen some of those home decorating shows that recommend you cut a piece of pvc pipe to the (interior) length of the couch seat/back.  You tuck it into the cover behind the seat-cushions and below the back-cushions. I've never done this myself (I didn't like the slipcover on my own couch so I rarely used it as I'm a sprawl-er, too).

Aggiesque

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »
Could you add velcro or snaps? Part to the couch, and part to the slipcover?
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 09:02:44 PM »
I've seen some of those home decorating shows that recommend you cut a piece of pvc pipe to the (interior) length of the couch seat/back.  You tuck it into the cover behind the seat-cushions and below the back-cushions. I've never done this myself (I didn't like the slipcover on my own couch so I rarely used it as I'm a sprawl-er, too).

That sounds like an idea that might actually work!

nonesuch4

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 09:41:11 PM »
I had never heard of the pvc pipe, which sounds like it might work.

I had heard a suggestion to use a piece of pipe insulation, (you know, like the pool "noodles" kids play with in the summer.)

snowfire

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 11:00:08 PM »
I think the pipe insulation would work better than the pvc pipe itself.  The insulation has more "traction" to its' surface, the pipe would be rather slippery and probably wouldn't grip the slipcover as well.

Malaika

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 11:12:06 PM »
Pipe insulation would be easier to cut to length (and probably cheaper) than pvc.  You'd just have to make sure it was thin enough to fit back there easily.  An actual pool noodle might be too big, which could eventually lead to the front of the cushions sagging. 

rhirhi

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 02:22:28 AM »
I use that no-slip plastic looking thing they sell for you to put your utensils on in a drawer for my blankets (I like to have a throw over my sofa so that if I want to snuggle up, I don't have to get up) It is useful for the movement on my sofas, but we are not as active as your family sounds. We kind of just plop down, grab a pillow and sit back.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »
I think the pipe insulation would work better than the pvc pipe itself.  The insulation has more "traction" to its' surface, the pipe would be rather slippery and probably wouldn't grip the slipcover as well.

I don't think the purpose of it is to grip.  I think its purpose is to snap down behind/under the cushions tightly so that the slipcover can't come back up.  Those noodle things are so thick that I wonder if they'd fit very well behind/under the seat cushions.  A 1" PVC pipe would fit down there very easily.

Arrynne

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 01:52:06 PM »
We used rolled-up magazines instead of the PVC Pipe.  Same idea, different method.  You still have to re-make the couch every few days or so, but it's better than having to do it every five minutes.   Another thing that helped a lot was some of the non-slip shelf liner on the seats, arms and back of the couch.