Poll

Do You Write Thank You Notes for Gifts from Your Parents?

No
29 (70.7%)
Yes
12 (29.3%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Thank You Notes For Parents  (Read 1368 times)

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
Thank You Notes For Parents
« on: September 27, 2010, 12:07:33 AM »
I'm finishing up some thank you notes for baby gifts and GirlyJock's thank you note thread got me thinking about thank you notes for parents.

I didn't write a thank you for the gifts from my parents.  In fact it wouldn't even occur to me to do so.  I talk to my mom pretty much everyday and I guess I just feel that it would feel overly formal to send them a thank you note.

The weird thing is I plan on sending a thank you note to DH's Dad and Stepmom for their gift.  Then I don't know if that  is almost an insult, like I feel like I am not close enough to them to forgo the note.  I don't think I they would particularly notice either way and DH thanked them already by phone (DH doesn't think we need to send one).

Do you send thank you notes to your parents when they send you gifts?  Why or why not?

Florida

Ms_Shell

Re: Thank You Notes For Parents
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 12:23:09 AM »
For my own parents I don't, simply because it would never occur in my family of origin to write a thank-you note to anyone.  Seriously, nary a note even for the guests at my brother's recent re-wedding.

I always send thank-you notes to my parents-in-law though.  My MIL makes beautiful handmade cards and she sends them to us even just to thank us for coming over to dinner at their place.  I don't feel like it's too formal to send thank you notes back and forth-who doesn't like getting a card in the mail?  :D     
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 03:15:53 AM »
Depends on the situation. Wedding, baptism, confirmation, any situation where a thank you note with a photo is expected, yes, I'd absolutely send them a TYN as I know they'd want the photo :)

Other situations - nope.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

CherryRipe

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 06:14:39 AM »
If I'm living at home at the time, verbal thanks is enough.  If I'm away from home, I'll thank them via e-mail, or possibly by telephone......except, I'm in Australia right now, so telephoning is prohibitively expensive, and none of us have any interest in Skype.

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:19:45 AM »
Generally I'll call and thank them for things sent (which are usually clothes or books or something else for the kids).  If we're together for a gift-giving occasion such as Christmas, I'll thank them in person.  I do occasionally send a general thank you letter just because they've been so generous or after a visit to their home (such as, "We so enjoyed visiting, etc., thank you for your hospitality and for always being such great grandparents, etc., etc.").  We were raised to write thank yous and I do for everyone else -- but my mom will be out shopping and find a dress she loves for my girls and have the store send it directly -- this happens almost weekly so we've gotten to a point where it's a waste of paper to write a thank you note weekly.  For the kids' birthdays, though, I do have them write thank yous even to the grandparents who may have been present, because it's good practice.

Short answer -- it depends.

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 08:21:32 AM »
I send a note to my ILs for formal occasions such as showers, but I don't send notes for everyday things.

I send a note to my stepmother when it's a formal occasion or something big, but I usually send flowers or something similar with the note (one time she took me on an all-expenses paid trip to NYC!).

I don't send a note to my own mother, and my dad doesn't "do" gifts.  ;)

Girly

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 08:55:42 AM »
I don't do TY notes for my parents for things like Christmas, Birthday, etc. gifts.

However, my mom just did a baby shower for me (with two of my aunts) and I know it was a LOT of work. I most certainly did write her a thank you for that, especially since we stay at her house while we are in town, and had to stay an extra week due to car problems. She, of course, didn't mind we stayed longer, but it was awfully nice of her to cook us dinner every night!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 10:14:18 AM »
If it is something unusual, like more than a typical gift at Christmas or birthdays I do.  I also send my mom flowers as a thank you on my birthday for giving birth to me.

Aggiesque

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 12:02:40 PM »
Parents always get a call/ in person thank you, no matter the situation, for us.
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
I always phone a thank you to my parents and with in-laws, we open Xmas presents together.

DD does a little drawing and an attempt at 'Thank you' for her grandparents because they love the drawings.

For our wedding both sets of parents got a formal thank you.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 01:15:33 PM »
I've never sent my parents a thank you note and I think they would be insulted if I did.  It would be like I was distancing myself from them.  I don't know if I can explain it properly. 

I don't expect thank you notes from my kids, either.  But they write them to everyone else.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

heartmug

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
I do.  My mom likes to keep cards and any card/thank you note means so much to her.  I know they do read them over and over again.
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain