Author Topic: For PA comments in the grocery line-up  (Read 7256 times)

Delia DeLyons

Re: For PA comments in the grocery line-up
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »
     Even though you were causing the delay technically, I still think sighing is soooooooo  YARGH!  Especially stranger to stranger....  I would apologize to people who were patiently (quietly) waiting, but I wouldn't appease to PA lady by apologizing... though I wouldn't have the nerve to give her a look either.  I'd probably just be happy and friendly to whomever directly engaged me and go on my merry way  :D

Though on the drive home, I'd come up with a gazillion great zingers to have said to her  >:D

ETA:  My manually typed smiley came out as an "eye-popper" haha

ETA2: spelling  :-[ sorry
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:34:08 PM by Delia DeLyons »
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 06:12:35 AM »
    Even though you were causing the delay technically, I still think sighing is soooooooo  YARGH!  Especially stranger to stranger....  

Yeah, especially since it really wasn't MUCH of a delay. I've suffered far worse delays in cashier line-ups...such as people arguing over a coupon, etc., or elderly people fumbling for coins.  She started sighing in about the first 10 seconds...and the whole transaction (after scanning my items) took about the time it takes to run a card through twice, plus about 3-5 seconds to reach into my purse for my diary where I'd written my pin. So maybe an extra minute or so. Ridiculous.

(modified for typo)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 06:14:50 AM by Raintree »

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 11:29:54 AM »
    Even though you were causing the delay technically, I still think sighing is soooooooo  YARGH!  Especially stranger to stranger....  

Yeah, especially since it really wasn't MUCH of a delay. I've suffered far worse delays in cashier line-ups...such as people arguing over a coupon, etc., or elderly people fumbling for coins.  She started sighing in about the first 10 seconds...and the whole transaction (after scanning my items) took about the time it takes to run a card through twice, plus about 3-5 seconds to reach into my purse for my diary where I'd written my pin. So maybe an extra minute or so. Ridiculous.

(modified for typo)

I tend to agree. I don't think it's written in stone anywhere that people have the right to not be "inconvenienced" for a few minutes, or to show their displeasure when they are. It's just life. Stuff happens. Some people are slower than others. Deal with it, or be unhappy, but the idea that one has to be all apologetic if you aren't moving at some one else's optimal speed doesn't sit right with me.

boxy

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
Maybe it's not that people in line aren't moving fast but more the perception that they don't care about those behind them.  If I'm in line and understand the person in front of me is fumbling for change but they've at least got their wallets or purses open then it's not that big of a deal.  If the person is talking on their cell phone holding up their hand signaling "I'll swipe my card when I'm done talking" then I tend to get frustrated.  I know they don't care a bit that there are others waiting to check out and it really bothers me.

So in the first example the person is trying, in the second example the person doesn't care about anyone but themselves.  Who wouldn't get antsy or frustrated?