News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 07:28:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Funeral Situation: How should I handle this in the future?  (Read 1579 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Funeral Situation: How should I handle this in the future?
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »
I have tried to ask this question using the background story a few times and end up clearing it and deciding not to ask.  So I will forget the background story and just ask the question.

How does one handle it when someone decides to go to the funeral of someone they don't know just because they saw you walk into the building to attend the funeral? 

Shoo

Re: Funeral Situation: How should I handle this in the future?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 01:42:30 PM »
Do you know this person?  Or are you being stalked?

MrsJWine

• I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 01:42:46 PM »
Is this a friend who wants to show support for you, the bereaved, or is it a random stranger who thinks, "Oh!  Funeral luncheon"?

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

audrey1962

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 01:46:48 PM »
How does one handle it when someone decides to go to the funeral of someone they don't know just because they saw you walk into the building to attend the funeral? 

I don't understand the question.

Do you mean, how do you handle it when someone you know attends without knowing the deceased, but to support you?

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 01:51:43 PM »
So you are going to the funeral of a friend/relative and some one who knows you sees you go in and decides to go in after you?

My reaction would depend on the person:

An aquaintance?  Dude, what are you doing here?

Someone I know well who I think is here to support me?  Nothing.

Someone I don't want to be there with me, for whatever reason?  Try to find a single seat so they can't sit anywhere near me.  If it is a truly stalkerish situation, try to quietly alert the funeral director to have the offending party removed.

Someone I don't know who is just tagging along for free eats?  Would depend on how they are acting.  If they are quiet and respectful and don't make a pig of themselves?  Nothing.  If they are disruptive, try to alert the funeral director.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Luci

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »
If it is just some random someone who likes to attend funerals, you ignore, say 'thank you' if approached, don't invite him/her to the post funeral dinner, and don't worry - the chances are very slim he will take part in the procession to the cemetery.

The only time that would not have worked was when my stepmother, then later my dad were sent to the crematory and the dinner was in the church basement where the funerall had been held. Then I think we would just ignore as politely as possible.

If it is someone you know, treat him a someone there to support you.