Author Topic: The Sisters  (Read 1468 times)

wonderfullyanonymous

The Sisters
« on: September 10, 2010, 10:10:32 PM »
There are 2 very sweet Nuns that come into the store every couple of days or so. They have the best sense of humor, and I absolutely love to tease them, and they can give it back just as well.

Last Saturday, I was taking care of a customer, and I noticed they were behind him in line. I leaned over the counter, and in a stage whisper said, "Watch out for those 2, that's just a costume they are wearing."

He looks at them, and starts stuttering, "You can't tease the Nuns, you can get struck by lightening."

To them he says, "Make sure I'm out of the way when you strike her, I don't want to get hit."

From the Nuns, I get "Oh, you..." but they are laughing.

The customer is still stuttering, and every once in a while swearing, as that is just his normal chatter. Then he realizes he was swearing...in front of the Nuns. That was funny, as then he didn't know what to say.

After he left, the Sisters and I were laughing, and they loved his reaction as much as I did.

A couple days ago, they came through my line again. After they left, I noticed something on the floor, when I was taking care of another customer. Upon closer inspection, I noticed it was a Rosary. I grabbed it, and looked up, and saw they were just leaving the lobby. I told my customer I would be right back, and ran to give it back.

As I handed it to her, I said, "Wow, it didn't burn."

She just shook her head and said "Oh, you." and laughed.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Re: The Sisters
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 10:44:29 AM »
I love nun stories, and those two sound like a lot of fun! :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 12:14:50 PM »
The town I grew up in had a convent, a music school, a major hospital, and a retirement home all run by the same group of nuns, so seeing sisters out and about wasn't a strange occurrence.  (I took piano lessons from a nun for 13 years - she is now ninety and still teaching!)  Anyway, I remember being at the movie theater for something - the Star Wars re-release, possibly? - and having two nuns sitting behind us.  One of the opening trailers was for a gory movie called "Queen of the Damned."  After the trailer finished, I heard one of the sisters tell the other one in a crisp voice, "I don't think we need to see THAT one!"  I think everyone in the theater stifled a giggle  :P

ETA: one of the things I loved was how all the nuns at the place I took my piano lessons called each other "sister."  There were fifteen or twenty of them, but they all figured out who each other meant.  "Sister, could you please let Sister know that Sister is on the phone for her?"  It still cracks me up thinking about it!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:16:32 PM by Slartibartfast »

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »
ETA: one of the things I loved was how all the nuns at the place I took my piano lessons called each other "sister."  There were fifteen or twenty of them, but they all figured out who each other meant.  "Sister, could you please let Sister know that Sister is on the phone for her?"  It still cracks me up thinking about it!

I bet they could speak Smurf, too!  ;D

PurpleFrog

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 01:01:42 PM »

Tea out of my nose. Nice.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

Íkorna

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 01:09:30 PM »
There's a convent of nuns at the Catholic Church a few blocks away from my house. They don't wear habits, drive themselves around, and would appear to an average passerby not to be nuns at all. I like them a lot, they're very nice women. On the other hand, my dad has horror stories about the nuns teaching Catholic school in the 1960s.

My uncle once told me about when he was a child and seeing a nun's habit slide up a bit so he caught a glimpse of her leg. He was startled, and she responded with 'What are you looking at? You thought we had wheels under there?'
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 01:12:16 PM by Íkorna »

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 01:21:10 PM »

Tea out of my nose. Nice.

My job here is complete.  :D

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »
Both of my parents went to Catholic school growing up, and I heard some stories that explained why my brother and I were sent to public school. 

My dad told me that the teachers at his school would grab boys by their tie and swing them around by it and would get mad if a boy's clip on came off in their hand.   And I heard stories of them getting whacked on the knuckles with rulers.

The tie one I don't fully believe but the ruler one I do.

All the nuns I met though were pretty cool.   "Sister Act" is one of my favorite movies, as is the show "Nunsense".   The boxing nuns always give me the giggles. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 02:45:15 PM »
One of the opening trailers was for a gory movie called "Queen of the Damned."  After the trailer finished, I heard one of the sisters tell the other one in a crisp voice, "I don't think we need to see THAT one!"

That is priceless! :D

I was a member of the Catholic Society at uni, and we had a group outing to see The Fellowship of the Ring, for which both of our priests turned up in their full, billowing, black-and-white Dominican habits. Everyone else at the cinema just assumed they'd got into the spirit of things and come in fancy dress. ;D

ETA - I get the Nuns Having Fun calendar every year. (Does exactly what it says on the tin. Charming photographs of nuns enjoying skiing, snowballing, rollercoasters... :) )
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 02:49:36 PM by Ferrets »

MizB

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »
There used to be nuns that worked at the catholic hospital in my hometown they were sweet.
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

Íkorna

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 04:39:17 PM »
My dad told me that the teachers at his school would grab boys by their tie and swing them around by it and would get mad if a boy's clip on came off in their hand.   And I heard stories of them getting whacked on the knuckles with rulers.

The tie one I don't fully believe but the ruler one I do.

I hate to say it, but that may very well be true. I mentioned my father and uncle going to Catholic school upthread-- from them, and from other relatives and family friends, I've heard stories very similar to your father's, such as a student having his head slammed into a blackboard. It was a minority, and plenty of the nuns were very sweet women, but it did go on.

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 05:19:15 PM »
My dad went to Catholic School and he always told us of rulers to the knuckles.