Author Topic: Need e-Hell-approved response (baby’s due date)  (Read 4022 times)

Oh Joy

Re: Need e-Hell-approved response (baby’s due date)
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 03:21:57 PM »
Thanks for all of your suggestions.  I've come to accept the volume of advice/stories/belly rubbing as part of pregnancy, but this seems to be a recurring discussion...kind of a family factoid that the two dates are near each other and 'wouldn't it be cool' if the baby shared a birthday with both of its grandfathers (the cat's out of the bag; there's no going back even though I long ago stopped mentioning it).  Just looking for some pithy yet appropriate comebacks to the inevitable projections of my misery that follow, and I think there are certainly a few here.

Appreciate your support!

P.S. - The good news it that my father's alive and well, it's just DH's father who passed many years ago.

Nox

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 08:44:34 PM »
My DD was due (and born) on Aug. 5. Lots of people told me that being 8-9 months pregnant in the summer was going to be really uncomfortable because of the heat. I live in Hawaii. It's always about 80-85 degrees here, regardless of the season. I just pointed that out to them and most of them went, "Oh. Huh. I guess that's true."

I have a number of family members with birthdays in early to mid August and there was some good-natured campaigning for me to have DD on one of their birthdays. Like I had a choice. As it is, she's got her very own birthday that she doesn't share with anyone.

Overall though, I didn't get many people saying crazy, cruel or judgmental things. Maybe I got lucky.

Congrats on your pregnancy, OP. I'm sure whatever day the wee one arrives will be a fine one for him/her.

LeeLieLow

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2010, 01:07:24 PM »
The day my grandmother died was the day one of my cousins delivered her second child.  I wrote the death notice for grandmother and was very happy to add one more great-grandchild in the list of decendants. 

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2010, 02:21:06 PM »
"And you are telling a very pregnant woman this story because"???  Put them on the spot and make them explain themselves because of course you just don't *get* what they are saying.  I think once confronted they may engage their brain to mouth filter a bit better in the future.  It's not rude to be confused about the point someone is trying to make.

The Etiquette Hell approved "How kind of you to take an interest" might be just the thing to say.

Cupcake Fiend

• Yummy!
  • Super Hero!
  • "These are the days of miracle & wonder..."
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2010, 07:43:03 AM »
My DD was due (and born) on Aug. 5. Lots of people told me that being 8-9 months pregnant in the summer was going to be really uncomfortable because of the heat. I live in Hawaii. It's always about 80-85 degrees here, regardless of the season. I just pointed that out to them and most of them went, "Oh. Huh. I guess that's true."

I have a number of family members with birthdays in early to mid August and there was some good-natured campaigning for me to have DD on one of their birthdays. Like I had a choice. As it is, she's got her very own birthday that she doesn't share with anyone.

Overall though, I didn't get many people saying crazy, cruel or judgmental things. Maybe I got lucky.

Congrats on your pregnancy, OP. I'm sure whatever day the wee one arrives will be a fine one for him/her.

Not true...she shares it with my DD!!! ;D

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2010, 08:22:16 AM »
My DD was due (and born) on Aug. 5. Lots of people told me that being 8-9 months pregnant in the summer was going to be really uncomfortable because of the heat.

I was due in August as well and got the same comments.  But I would say "I go from my air conditioned house to my air conditioned car and take it to my air conditioned work. It's not really a problem."