Author Topic: Well intentioned, but not possible  (Read 4048 times)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Well intentioned, but not possible
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:10:01 AM »
BG: For the past 5 years when we lived in my hometown, on Halloween night I'd take the kids over to my parents and the in-laws so they could see their costumes, after they went trick-or-treating in our neighborhood.    My parents were about 5 minutes away and IL's were about 15 so this wasn't a big deal for me to do, and I like the in-laws.  Plus they usually gave me some candy as well as sent home some for their son since  DH usually stayed at home to hand out the last of the candy to the stragglers while I did this.   

Also, when we went it was usually approaching the boys' bedtime and they were tired from walking around our neighborhood, and so was I.   

Well we bought a house and moved in January, so this will be our first Halloween in this town, which is about an hour and 15 minutes drive from the IL's.   A week ago, DH says "Don't forget to take the boys over to my parent's house on Halloween this year after they've gone trick-or-treating." 

I blinked at first, sure that he forgot for a moment that we do live an hour's drive away from his parents, but no, he remembered.   I told him that while I love his parents (I really do, they're great people), that's one tradition that's not going to be possible anymore.   Especially since we don't wrap up trick or treating usually until 8:30, which means we'd get to the IL's around 9:45, spend maybe 10-15 minutes chatting then turn around and get home around 11pm.   

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Bluenomi

Re: Well intentioned, but not possible
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:57:50 AM »
Yeah, I don't think that will be a tradition to keep up. Poor kids will be so tired by the time you get home. Maybe they could come and visit you instead so they can still see the kids but they still get some sleep?

Wittyone

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:59:23 AM »
Of course you can't take them to see the grandparents.  That would be way too much.  But maybe you can email them a picture, assuming they use email.
California

katycoo

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 01:49:53 AM »
What about a video skype call?  So there can be costume viewing and trick or treat storytelling?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 08:14:49 AM »
Well MIL doesn't like using computers, so while she does have an email address, she never checks it.   We might just send them pics via snail mail, or maybe have them up the day before so the boys can show them the costumes.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

magician5

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 12:34:04 PM »
It would be a sweet gesture to email them a picture. Think how they'd feel to get such a message, it would say without the need for words, "we moved away but we still think of you as much as ever."
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Elisabunny

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 03:19:33 PM »
For this year at least, since Halloween is on Sunday, could you take them before trick-or-treating?  Or perhaps on Saturday?  If it's doable, you might be able to set up a "weekend before Halloween" tradition.  (That is, if you want to. ;) )
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »
Well DS2's birthday is on the 26th and we're planning on having his birthday party on Halloween weekend, and will likely do a costume party, so if the IL's come up for that (which is likely) they'll be able to see the boy's costumes.