Author Topic: Will you take a picture with my camera ?  (Read 16129 times)

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
Re: Will you take a picture with my camera ?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2010, 11:11:52 PM »
I can fully understand why you wouldn't want to leave your personal items unattended to take a picture of strangers.  In the back of our minds there's that perhaps irrational expectation that as you're standing taking the requested photo, some accomplice will run out from behind a tree, snatch your stuff and run off.

That's in no way irrational. It struck me when reading that someone could easily come up with a scam like that.

I have recently been in a few places where the tour guides warned us of exactly that scam.

The "no, thank you" probably would have thrown me as a requester, but on thinking about it, I'd likely say that if someone asked me! Why yes, I can make up mind, sometimes...

Possibly an alternative reply could be, "sorry, no".  Still saying no, and expressing regret (even it is not entirely sincere) without the confusing "thank you".  Or if you feel like explaining "Sorry, I am not able to".  Not a real explanation, but give them the impression that you did.

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

KristenP

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »
I think the way it came out definitely sounded a little off-putting, if not rude. People ask me to take photos all the time and I love doing it. I am not the best photographer either, but it only takes a moment and I usually show them the photo after to ask if it's ok, if I'm not in a rush. They probably asked you since you had been sitting there and even though you were reading, you didn't look rushed or "busy." It is totally fine if you really think you're a bad photog and don't want to ruin their picture, but like others said, you should just simply say, "I'm sorry, but I am really bad at taking pictures" or something simple. Saying "umm..no, thank you," sounds a little snarky to me. Next time just say "I'm sorry I didn't hear you at first. I really shouldn't because I am not good at taking pictures." I really don't feel like they were out of line to ask you. They were out of line to how they reacted afterwards, but in all honesty, the whole thing sounds weird to me. Good luck next time this may happen! Don't stress about it too much since you'll never see them again. 

KristenP

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 05:40:48 PM »
Next time just say "I'm sorry I didn't hear you at first. I really shouldn't because I am not good at taking pictures."
or I guess if you want to give a definitive "no," then that would need some tinkering. Either way, a little extra friendliness never hurt.

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 12:24:35 PM »
If it is not inconvenient for me, I will take a picture for someone, but usually I let them know that I am a horrible photographer and have a tendency to cut off the tops of peoples' heads.  Usually I say, "you'll be better off with someone else doing it, I'm not a good photographer"  If they insist that their camera is foolproof and really want me to, well, they get to see the results in the little viewfinder when I am done and then have to find someone to take another one!

PoisonIvy

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2010, 09:06:10 AM »
I can fully understand why you wouldn't want to leave your personal items unattended to take a picture of strangers.  In the back of our minds there's that perhaps irrational expectation that as you're standing taking the requested photo, some accomplice will run out from behind a tree, snatch your stuff and run off.

That's in no way irrational. It struck me when reading that someone could easily come up with a scam like that.

I have recently been in a few places where the tour guides warned us of exactly that scam.

Big POD to this.  I live in a major tourist city, and pickpockets and scammers often work in teams here.  The "Will you take my photo?" act is a common ploy used to divert your attention away from your belongings while their partner makes off with your bag/etc.  This very method was actually re-enacted on a popular TV show that highlights various scams.

I would definitely give the OP a pass on the "Um..." - I am completely in my own world when I'm reading, especially when killing endless hours waiting for a flight.  I would have been startled by the interruption too.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »
OP, I don't think you were rude.  The person who requested you take a photo was definitely PA.  I used to live in a major metropolitan city and have traveled quite a bit.  If I wanted a picture of my entire group I would ask an airport employee to take the picture.  They're usually quite helpful and used to taking snaps of tourists.

I've actually had to warn people not to hand their cameras over to strangers.

qestia

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »
I think you're fine not giving an explanation. An explanation opens you up to a whole discussion "No, my hands shake" "oh, that's okay, my camera corrects for that!" "No" is a complete sentance. They were interrupting you, which was rude even before they started badmouthing you.

PaddedPaws

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »
You were fine. I would probably have said "No, sorry"  or "Sorry, I can't." However, I understand your reasoning for wording it how you did. It's certainly not something to get upset about.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »
I think you should have taken the photo, OP. I imagine your response to the requester embarassed her and that's why she was rude in her response.
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2011, 10:23:58 AM »
I think you should have taken the photo, OP. I imagine your response to the requester embarassed her and that's why she was rude in her response.

I disagree.  I'd respond, "I'm sorry, but I'm not a good photographer."  I don't think politeness requires taking a picture or doing anything else just because someone comes up and asks.  That would require us to act like doormats.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

Jenny13

• "He who laughs last didn't get it"
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »
No, I don't think it's rude, but it is alway's nice when people agree to take it  ;D   What the two teens said was totally inappropriate but there isn't much you can do about.....I'm sure you'll never see those people again anyhoo  ;)
"How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits Hes lost"?

What do you mean, my birth certificate expired?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 10:35:01 AM »

I don't think she should have taken the photo if she was unwilling to risk handling the person's camera. Other posters have also mentioned a scam revolving around a request for a photo. It's perfectly reasonable to not want to take the picture. The OP's wording possibly could have been more graceful, but it wasn't rude, and the group had interrupted her while she was reading (which in itself is arguably rude).

The requester was absolutely rude and PA in her OTT response.

I see this as being kind of like giving directions. Sometimes when people ask for directions, you give them. Sometimes you aren't familiar with the area or aren't good with directions, so you politely decline and recommend they ask someone else. Sometimes you think they're sketchy and decline because they set off your alarm bells and so you don't want to engage with them. It's not rude to politely decline to give someone directions.

Maggie

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 10:49:56 AM »
I would have said no thanks too because to me it means no but thanks for asking.  I definitely don't think she was rude or she that she should have taken the picture.

Granny Takes a Trip

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »

Why are you excusing the woman's rudeness ??? Even if she was 'embarrased', that is no reason for her to be rude. OP did nothing wrong. One is not obliged by etiquette to do favours for random strangers, at any time.
I have a thousand parents. Sadly they
Dissolve in their own virtues and recede.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 11:51:02 AM »

Podding the others here. All a polite request deserves is a polite refusal, and she doesn't get to be rude just because she embarassed herself.

I don't even see why you'd think she was embarassed, her reaction (all 3 of them) was rude and entitled and way OTT. Really, she's not a nice person if she's only polite when she wants something. Hearing a polite 'No' shouldn't send one into making nasty PA comments.