Author Topic: Will you take a picture with my camera ?  (Read 15959 times)

Granny Takes a Trip

Re: Will you take a picture with my camera ?
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2011, 01:39:20 PM »
Yes, but why should the OP stop what she was doing to take a photo? You implied that it was her fault for not making nice, which is what people are objecting to. Good for her for not making nice, perhaps those entitled fools would think twice before bothering someone else.  I think if fewer people felt constrained to be polite to snowflakes, the world would actually be a better place.

People who ask others to take snapshots of them are "entitled fools?" That's what you think?

I believe Granny was referring specifically to the people in the original post who certainly proved themselves to be entitled at the very least by their follow-up behavior to the OP's refusal to take the photo.

Yes, exactly. Flora Louise, I am really confused as to why you are making excuses for them. ITA with Yvaine that they were also a bit rude to interrupt OP's reading, though they didn't show their true colours until OP refused them.
I have a thousand parents. Sadly they
Dissolve in their own virtues and recede.

Flora Louise

• Nothing like champagne for a champagne occasion.
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2011, 01:53:00 PM »
What excuses?
Just because you're disappointed in me doesn't mean I did anything wrong.

Granny Takes a Trip

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »
What excuses?

'I think she was embarrased, which is why she was rude.' You seemed to be almost blaming the OP for her rudeness, saying that if the OP had made nice and taken her picture, she wouldn't have been embarrased, and therefore wouldn't have been rude. I would class that as making excuses, or rather, misappropriating blame.

Jan74

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2011, 01:59:56 PM »
What if she had agreed, it turned out to have been a scam, and then she ended up without her bag - would it still not be ok for her in the future to "make the world a little colder" by refusing to do things like that?

Flora Louise

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »
Granny, I think if you read my response I joined the rest of you in declaring the woman rude. I did not declare the OP rude. I merely said I think she should have taken the shot. I just thought it would be nice.

Oh well, "Let me live in a house by the side of the road . . ." Or something.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2011, 01:50:41 PM »
I was not trying to defend rudeness. I was trying to explain it. If I asked someone to do me a tiny favor and the response was no, I'd feel embarassed. Like I put my foot in it. I don't say it's rational, it's probably what I'd feel.

I realize that etiquette allows us to refuse any and all requests. But why make the world colder? Why not help people out if we can do so easily? That's all I'm saying.

Because, in this case, it's inconvenient. And because it may well be playing into the hands of organized thieves.

That's not making the world colder. The world became colder when thieves and scam artists decided to prey on other people's generosity.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

magicdomino

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »
Somewhat off-topic, but how does one properly ask someone to take a photo?  I travel by myself, and like to have one photo of myself with a famous landmark.  Most of the time, there isn't a guide or other "official" employee.  I usually keep an eye out for a couple or family who are taking photos, and offer to take one of all of them if they will take one of me.  It sometimes takes a bit of charades if they don't speak English, but I haven't had any problems so far. 

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
I think you can ask anyone who isn't clearly otherwise occupied.  Even then, you need to take "no" for an answer politely.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2011, 02:17:37 PM »
Somewhat off-topic, but how does one properly ask someone to take a photo?  I travel by myself, and like to have one photo of myself with a famous landmark.  Most of the time, there isn't a guide or other "official" employee.  I usually keep an eye out for a couple or family who are taking photos, and offer to take one of all of them if they will take one of me.  It sometimes takes a bit of charades if they don't speak English, but I haven't had any problems so far. 

I think most of the time you'd be perfectly safe asking someone who is clearly part of a family.  Also watch for couples or groups using SLRs or bridge cameras as those people would likely feel quite comfortable using almost any kind of camera you might have.   Honestly, I don't think most people mind, and some of us actually enjoy taking pictures like this for other people.

If someone does turn down your request, just move on and try not to take it personally.  As we've seen here in this thread, people have a variety of different (legitimate) reasons to not want to use your camera to take your picture.  But most people will be fine with it.

Flora Louise

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2011, 02:47:31 PM »
Ah, Etiquettehell.

bobsyouruncle

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »
Ah, Etiquettehell.

I don't get it? Is that another "inside joke"?

Granny Takes a Trip

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2011, 04:30:19 PM »
Ah, Etiquettehell.

I don't get it? Is that another "inside joke"?

I think that Flora Louise feels piled on. I am sorry if that is the case, but I can't apologize for my part in it, as I and many others considered her position untenable.

Flora Louise

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »
Nah, I'm still smiling.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2011, 08:49:23 PM »
I don't get it either. Is there a point to posting something so deliberately vague?

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2011, 10:48:13 PM »
I've asked and been asked.  People have made the offer to me and I have offered other people.

It wouldn't bother me if someone declined.

Also, let the record show I recently offered to take someone's photo so all three (young guys) could pose together.  I DROPPED THE GUY'S INORDINATELY EXPENSIVE PHONE! :o    Fortunately I caught it before it hit the ground.

Also fortunately, they laughed. :D

God bless 'em.