Author Topic: What's wrong with being a SAHM/Housewife?  (Read 46470 times)

Ms_Shell

Re: What's wrong with being a SAHM/Housewife?
« Reply #120 on: March 29, 2011, 12:39:41 PM »
This thread is a great example though of how our society has forgotten the value of the traditional roles.  Choices and options are great.  The problem is that some presentations of feminism have construed it so that the only valuable contribution is working outside the home.  That's not what feminism originally meant.  I find it sad that so many are faced with the attitude presented in the OP.  Making a house into a home and running it smoothly, raising children, preparing meals, etc is work.  It may or may not be what some would call a job, but it is definitely work. 

Oh, I see what you mean and I strongly agree with you.  Nowadays it seems like there's a societal backlash against the non-employed parent, and that's never what feminism was supposed to be.  Although, I do think it's a wonderful thing that men are slowly becoming more comfortable with taking on the traditionally "female" roles of caring for children and staying home to do so, if they're temperamentally suited for it. 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Rohanna

Re: What's wrong with being a SAHM/Housewife?
« Reply #121 on: March 29, 2011, 07:55:38 PM »
I agree that feminism as it was originally conceived and implemented was a wonderful thing.  I work in a professional setting, hold one master's level degree and am working on another.  I agree with equal pay for equal work. 

This thread is a great example though of how our society has forgotten the value of the traditional roles.  Choices and options are great.  The problem is that some presentations of feminism have construed it so that the only valuable contribution is working outside the home.  That's not what feminism originally meant.  I find it sad that so many are faced with the attitude presented in the OP.  Making a house into a home and running it smoothly, raising children, preparing meals, etc is work.  It may or may not be what some would call a job, but it is definitely work. 

I do take issue with the tone in this:
Without feminism, if your husband died, or ran off on you - then your idyllic little life you had before would do you precious little good- you would have few rights or ability to rebuild your life again. You would have few rights if your husband decided that really, he thinks ehell is a waste of time, so he's cutting off the Internet tomorrow- and by the way, no more going out to the mall, because he doesn't trust you...

To say that feminism is a bad thing is a crime to me as bad as saying slavery is a good thing - because the reality is pre feminism many slaves had more privileges and freedoms than a bad husband gave his wife... And the two words could pretty much be exchanged.

You are welcome to your opinion about life before feminism.  I'm not arguing that there was a time when women were essentially property.  However, you know precious little about my life or the sacrifices we make for it.  Don't presume that you do with statements about my "little life" or it's idyllic nature. Your condescension is neither appropriate not welcome.

And your privilidged view of the world of feminism was very unwelcome to me as well. It is absolutely wonderful that you have a great husband, and laws that PROTECT you from the knowledge of what life could be like for you, but if you could look outside your lifestyle for 30 seconds, you would see why many women, no- many people would find your statement as ridiculous and offensive as denying the wrongs of the holocaust, racism, slavery or apartheid. Women are beaten, abused, degraded, and DIE every day, all over the world because feminism is not yet a true reality, even in "first world" countries.

It is very hard not to have a condescending tone to one who is being so blatently self-introspective about the world- I am sorry if that came out in my "tone" but it is to me no worse than the offensive tone of "we women were better off in our place" that I got from yours.

http://www.amnesty.ca/campaigns/svaw_overview.php

^^ Here is a little reading for anyone who is interested in seeing that what I am saying is in no way, shape or form over-exaggeration or hyperbole. It is fact- hard, cold, and heartbreaking fact.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.