Author Topic: Could have used it at the supermarket  (Read 6917 times)

smidget23

Re: Could have used it at the supermarket
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 03:05:14 AM »
"I am."
Flair/Flare is very confusing. Even for authors.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 03:17:26 AM »
I think my answer would have been "Really?"

holly firestorm

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 07:06:59 PM »
OK, let me make an interesting assumption.  Was this a much older lady?  Maybe she was lonely?  Maybe she's worried about her finances and she was a little jealous?  Maybe she's just friendly?

Itzpapalotl

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 07:29:40 PM »
I might have said something like, "This is my afternoon snack! I'm having octuplets!" just to mess with her.

nonesuch4

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2011, 09:29:26 AM »
Can you imagine how much more hellish grocery trips would be if you had to bring everyone who you were buying supplies for WITH you to the store?

*shudders*

I very vaguely remember that when my sister and I grew old enough to express preferences for certain items, my mother started leaving us at home with Dad and doing it alone.

Cricket

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2011, 08:00:47 PM »
Unless your shopping was all beer, chips, and magazines, it should be obvious that you are indeed feeding a family with the money - whether it is a family of 1, 2, or 6. All that would change in that case is how soon you have to shop again.

Small threadjack, but that made me fantasize about just buying beer, chips and magazines. No veggies, no tp, no cleaning stuff. Forget special vitamins for kid, biola for the dog, meat meat meat for the husband! All the dumb things needed to keep 3 people and a huge dog going can be forgotten! Just beer, chips and magazines! Yeah!

I saw a setup on a show once. A really young couple with small baby (all actors) go through the checkout with beer, baby food and nappies. When the cashier tells them how much it is, the couple realise they don't have enough money. They whisper between themselves for a moment and then tell the cashier that they'll just take the beer. The look on the cashier's face each time they did it was priceless!

Ms_Shell

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 08:16:00 PM »
Is it possible that she was just complaining about how food prices have really gone up lately?  In a really clueless kind of way?  Other than that, I got nothin'. 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

tabby1

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »
I like friendly cashiers but I don't like being asked "why" I am buying something or having them make a big deal out of something I've purchased.

Many occasions I've had clerks make comments if I buy a few magazines.  I don't really want to have to defend a purchase.  They should be pleased that I'm buying anything at the store.

I checked out at the grocery once and the young man bagging picked up a feminine product that I had purchased and started snickering and making jokes about it to the other young man who was bagging at the adjacent lane.  I was quite stunned.  The clerk checking me out was a woman several years old than myself.  It would have been nice if she'd reprimanded the young man.  She said nothing.  I was so angry that I just left.  But I wish I had said something to him myself.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 10:03:02 PM »
If I had to take DH and DS with me to prove I was buying for my family, my grocery bill would be three times what it is now.  It is kind of embarrassing when I have to tell DH "put it back" or "we don't need that".

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 10:15:50 PM »
If I had to take DH and DS with me to prove I was buying for my family, my grocery bill would be three times what it is now.  It is kind of embarrassing when I have to tell DH "put it back" or "we don't need that".

If I take DH to the store I'm pretty much guaranteed to spend about $30 more than I intended to. 

PinkWildRose

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 01:31:13 AM »
Ummm, why do they care what you're spending on groceries?  Even if you were spending $500 for food for yourself, it's nobody's business.

Of course, EvilPinkie would have said something about "Probably, but my bulimia's pretty bad right now."