Author Topic: Could have used it at the supermarket  (Read 6903 times)

Kelvar

Could have used it at the supermarket
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:34:46 AM »
I didn't, it didn't seem worth being held up, but I could have. It happened at the checkout. The cashier had just run all my stuff through and told me the total, then the woman behind me audibly gasped and said to the man with her "So much money! You could feed a family for that!"

The silly thing is that's exactly what I was doing. Most of the food is for when my fiance's parents come to stay with us (no matter what they say I know they eat nearly twice what we do, so to my mind it's more like feeding 6 people than 4).

But even if I was the single student I looked like (jeans, uni hoodie, headphones, backpack) who's to say I didn't live in a house where we take turns shopping and cook/eat together? Or maybe I was doing a favour for a relative or...so many reasons I can think of a seemingly young person would be buying a 'family' shop alone.

(Edit: here I am commenting on someone else's assumption when I realise I called the couple husband and wife when I have no idea what their relationship is!)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Could have used it at the supermarket
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 01:37:58 PM »
I didn't, it didn't seem worth being held up, but I could have. It happened at the checkout. The cashier had just run all my stuff through and told me the total, then the woman behind me audibly gasped and said to the man with her "So much money! You could feed a family for that!"

That's hysterical, at the grocery store. Who can tell by looking at anyone that they don't have a family to feed?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
Some people really need better hobbies to give their brains something to masticate during idle moments rather than saying stupid stuff.

Asharah

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 03:11:47 PM »
ALL HAIL, QUEEN OF THE OBVIOUS!!!!!!!!
Asharah

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »
Wow, why on earth would they be interested in the total of your grocery bill?

I think you would not have been out of line to turn around and SAY to them, "And that's exactly what I'm doing. Is there a problem?"

Mind you, perhaps then they would have made the Interesting Assumption that you were a teen mom or something.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 04:55:36 PM »
I suppose possibly Kelvar had picked up some caviar as an appetizer, and the gasp was at the price of an ounce of best beluga....  >:D
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

AdakAK

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
I would have a hard time not laughing out loud.  As PP said, you could easily be shopping for roommates, or your parents/siblings or any one of a hundred reasons for buying enough to feed a family.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 05:28:25 PM »
"So much money! You could feed a family for that!"

"Well, yes, that's kind of the point."

Jan74

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 08:05:50 PM »
Unless your shopping was all beer, chips, and magazines, it should be obvious that you are indeed feeding a family with the money - whether it is a family of 1, 2, or 6. All that would change in that case is how soon you have to shop again.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2010, 04:55:53 AM »
Unless your shopping was all beer, chips, and magazines, it should be obvious that you are indeed feeding a family with the money - whether it is a family of 1, 2, or 6. All that would change in that case is how soon you have to shop again.

So true. And even if the OP were just buying a load of beer, chips, and magazines.....how do they know it's not for the company picnic?

Jan74

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 07:50:48 AM »
So true. And even if the OP were just buying a load of beer, chips, and magazines.....how do they know it's not for the company picnic?

I'd definitely assume party if someone were spending a lot of cash on stuff like that, but at least it would justify the "You could feed a family!" exclamation - as in, the money you'll spend on that one day is enough for a month's groceries for a family.

Nora

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 10:12:15 AM »

Small threadjack, but that made me fantasize about just buying beer, chips and magazines. No veggies, no tp, no cleaning stuff. Forget special vitamins for kid, biola for the dog, meat meat meat for the husband! All the dumb things needed to keep 3 people and a huge dog going can be forgotten! Just beer, chips and magazines! Yeah!

*sigh*

No? I'll go do the normal groceryshopping then.  :(
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 01:47:58 PM »

That's hysterical, at the grocery store. Who can tell by looking at anyone that they don't have a family to feed?

Because clearly, if the whole family needs food, the whole family should help with the grocery shopping  ::) It is just not possible that one person could buy food for *gasp* other people!

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 02:04:03 PM »
Pish! You may be able to feed a whole family with that stuff, but could you feed a whole Skoffin!

NutMeg

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 02:56:31 AM »
Can you imagine how much more hellish grocery trips would be if you had to bring everyone who you were buying supplies for WITH you to the store?

*shudders*
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson