Author Topic: Non-traditional holidays  (Read 2492 times)

Minmom3

Re: Non-traditional holidays
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 12:41:36 AM »
Yeah, I think it's better to give people a heads up when going off the beaten track for holidays.

That happened to me. I got this look on my face, not pleasant at all.

I DON'T like carob, I'd be right there with you, grimacing in dislike and disgust.  Bleah....
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 12:47:55 AM »
Yeah, I think it's better to give people a heads up when going off the beaten track for holidays.

That happened to me. I got this look on my face, not pleasant at all.

I DON'T like carob, I'd be right there with you, grimacing in dislike and disgust.  Bleah....

Oh yeah. I was pretty grossed out. I spit it out.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 08:45:19 AM »
I'm weird, I kind of like carob, but only when I know it's carob before I eat it! If I think it's chocolate and get surprised, ick.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »
I'm weird, I kind of like carob, but only when I know it's carob before I eat it! If I think it's chocolate and get surprised, ick.

Oh, I don't have anything against carob. But yeah, it was the whole bait and switch thing that sent me over the edge.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 01:18:11 PM »
OP, I definately agree that this is something I'd want to be informed of if I were a guest, but if I were DH's Cousin, I'd really appreciate it if you brought your concerns to my attention first.

Granted, DH's Cousin should absolutely have informed her prospective guests of her intentions when she invited them, (I love high dudgeon's wording) but when your Aunt was telling you about her wasabi taters, you might have said "Wow, those sound pretty tasty, but do you think MIL and FIL are going to be able to enjoy them? You know how sensitive they are to spicy stuff." That way, you've given her a polite prod to discuss with Cousin her guests' needs and opened up a possible discussion about non-spicy alternatives.

It would also make it seem a lot less...subversive (maybe? I'm not sure that's quite the word I want...it sounds too harsh) when you provided MIL with a warning and an invite. If you've let her know about your concerns, DH's Cousin would be hard pressed to view your MIL & Co ending up at your mom's dinner as anything other than legitimate concern for their comfort. (As opposed to an "Ewww, Gross!" reaction)

Edited because I can't spell today.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 01:20:46 PM by Izzylemming »
Utah

LadyPekoe

• Cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 04:20:12 PM »
I've never met or talked to DH's cousin (who is male, by the way :) ), so I think it would be a bizarre call or email to make, especially when I have no intention of going to the holiday.  Anything BIL or I could have said to aunt (who is not his mother) would have been laughed off.  Personally, I don't think 2 people out of a 25 person dinner are going to make much difference, so I don't feel I've "stolen" them and they hadn't yet told the grandparents if they were officially coming or not (although they usually do). 

I will be interested to hear what happens with the whole thing--I will have to ask Aunt after the holiday or get the gossip from BIL (he always seems to know what is going on).
I'm cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!  Join me on my quest :)
www.thejoyofthejoyofcooking.blogspot.com

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 05:03:56 PM »
Ok, given that info, making contact with the cousin would be pretty darn awkward.

I hope you and your in-laws have a wonderful holiday together!
Utah

Dorrie78

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »
OP - I agree with you completely. I expect a core of certain foods at Thanksgiving and if they won't be present or will be drastically altered, I would be very sad. Core foods - turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing. It wouldn't bother me if other sides changed every year, as long as the core foods are there and in recognizable form. I get depressed watching Food Network around the holidays because they always have shows with the chefs coming up with new foods ("Instead of boring mashed potatoes, try this delicious new recipe with weird, but trendy ingredients!") Argh!

I think you did the right thing warning your MIL and FIL.

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »
Since you aren't attending or hosting, I say it's not your place to warn anyone of anything.
Words mean things.