Author Topic: hand held on Father's Day  (Read 1568 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
hand held on Father's Day
« on: June 17, 2007, 10:35:16 PM »
My father died years ago and each Father's Day is just a liitle quieter.  But, the kids do cool cards for their dad, and we eat out with my in-laws. 
Today after church service, this older man I have never seen grabs me by the hand saying,
"can we hold hands?"
And we walked together very nicely.  I did not feel a need for him to need physical support (I have a blind friend that I help lead sometimes, and my grandmother is very frail) but we just walked and I introduced him to my kids. 
His wife (on the far side) said that he had Alzheimer's (sp) and did not realize he did not know me.
Now, he did not look anything like my dad, but I felt like his hand-holding was a special moment and even, a memory of holding my dad's hand. 
And I smiled. 
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
Re: hand held on Father's Day
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 10:37:13 PM »
That was a nice story, thanks for sharing.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 10:40:46 PM »

Oh, that's so nice.

:)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 01:08:32 PM »
My father died years ago and each Father's Day is just a liitle quieter.  But, the kids do cool cards for their dad, and we eat out with my in-laws. 
Today after church service, this older man I have never seen grabs me by the hand saying,
"can we hold hands?"
And we walked together very nicely.  I did not feel a need for him to need physical support (I have a blind friend that I help lead sometimes, and my grandmother is very frail) but we just walked and I introduced him to my kids. 
His wife (on the far side) said that he had Alzheimer's (sp) and did not realize he did not know me.
Now, he did not look anything like my dad, but I felt like his hand-holding was a special moment and even, a memory of holding my dad's hand. 
And I smiled. 

Ok, you just made me tear up.  What a sweet man. :)

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 11:10:21 PM »
What a gift...for both of you.