Author Topic: Ms. Goldberg and Ms. Behar showed incredibly bad manners today.  (Read 2847 times)

lkb

Ms. Goldberg and Ms. Behar showed incredibly bad manners today.
« on: October 14, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »
This is my first post on the forum but I've been following the daily blog posts regularly.
First, in the interest of full disclosure, I loathe "The View" and especially Joy Behar. However, in my career as a home care aide, I am often forced to at least listen to it while on the job in patients' homes. (Sigh.)
So, I was forced to listen at least when Ms. Goldberg and Ms. Behar walked out on their guest Bill O'Reilly.  The discussion was the Ground Zero Mosque and apparently they are on opposite sides of the issue from Mr. O'Reilly. I was distracted so I missed the comment that got the two ladies to walk out. However, as hostesses, I believe they were rude to walk out on their invited guest, yes?
So, despite another thread's title, I guess Ms. Goldberg does not "get it" -- and neither does Ms. Behar.

cbcb

• Canadian living in the US
Re: Ms. Goldberg and Ms. Behar showed incredibly bad manners today.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 05:08:23 PM »
Etiquette does not require one to tolerate offensive comments. We've covered that topic a few times here (e.g. politeness and etiquette does not mean you can't confront someone making a racist joke, etc).

Sometimes, when you hear something offensive, leaving is the best option, if you know that countering the comment will just lead to a bigger argument (especially in front of an audience). Having someone as a guest doesn't mean they have the right to say whatever they want while you sit and take it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:10:53 PM by cbcb »

SiotehCat

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 05:08:37 PM »
I just saw the video and I do not consider them rude. I think they did what was best in that situation.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 05:26:12 PM »
A well-paid host of a talk show should have better control, and certainly been prepared for a guest from fox news to say something deliberately irritating.

But I wouldn't say it's rude. I don't think 'rude' applies to talking heads looking for ratings.

I was going to go with unprofessional, but they've garnered a lot more publicity with this, so it's really not even that.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 07:15:50 PM »
A well-paid host of a talk show should have better control, and certainly been prepared for a guest from fox news to say something deliberately irritating.

But I wouldn't say it's rude. I don't think 'rude' applies to talking heads looking for ratings.

I was going to go with unprofessional, but they've garnered a lot more publicity with this, so it's really not even that.

I just read about it and came to post something.

I agree with this. They have had thousands of guests on their show, with many views that disagree with theirs. They are professionals. They say things that probably offend their guests all the time. I think it showed a definite lack of professionalism. This isn't a dinner party. This is their job, where their entire job is to interview people who have varying views, no matter how offensive.

And it sure got them a lot of ratings.  :P

Maxiestar

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 09:55:03 PM »
I don't think it was rude. I've had to walk away to cool down myself. That topic is one that's just too controversial. Had they stayed, I imagine things could have gotten uglier. Now, that would have been painful to watch.

In fact, it was still an awkward interview to watch even after the ladies came back.

True, it was unprofessional, but again, the topic is just too hard to debate about in a civil manner.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 10:35:20 PM »
I think it was rude and INCREDIBLY unprofessional.  I'm glad Barbara took them all to task.

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »
I don't think it was rude. I've had to walk away to cool down myself. That topic is one that's just too controversial. Had they stayed, I imagine things could have gotten uglier. Now, that would have been painful to watch.

In fact, it was still an awkward interview to watch even after the ladies came back.

True, it was unprofessional, but again, the topic is just too hard to debate about in a civil manner.

O'Reilly has been on The View numerous times. He is very outspoken. They knew what they were getting. It's their show. They generally control the topics and questions.

Mopsy428

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 11:23:07 PM »
I think it was rude and INCREDIBLY unprofessional.  I'm glad Barbara took them all to task.
POD.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 11:40:37 PM »
I think its just the economy.

They don't want to lose their jobs so they manufacture a scandal by walking out.

The only way that most people even know what is on "The View" is when one of them does something outrageous and it ends up on YouTube or in the press and they get a slight ratings bump.

Otherwise its zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 12:16:57 AM »
I don't know if it's bad manners, as I would have walked away sooner than they did.   Though I wouldn't have sat down with him in the first place but I guess they don't have much of a choice if they're going to get ratings and thus, keep their job.   
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

whatsanenigma

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 12:17:58 AM »
 So I'm leaning towards "often a polite response, but probably not in this situation."

I think if this was the first time this particular guest had been on the show and they had no idea he'd say something that was so different from their own beliefs, the response of just walking out would have been the best they could do with it.

But they invited him on the show and (as far as I know) they are the ones who brought up this topic/allowed it to be brought up. And he's been on there before from what I hear. So, I think they should have been more prepared for how to handle this in a more professional manner. They could have figured out what he'd say if they discussed that subject, and how they would keep the discussion civil.

It is tempting to think they did this on purpose-brought up this controversial topic because they knew they could turn it into an attention-grabbing mess like that. I don't know if they did or not. The other alternative, though, is that they really didn't think it through. They didn't realize that this guest would say something like what he did, based on the opinions they already knew he held and how he tends to talk about his opinions, and just randomly brought up the topic. And I think that would be even less professional than the first alternative (in as much as these things can be quantified, of course).

Basically I think that if you know you'll get into a screaming match and/or have to leave the room if a certain topic is brought up with a certain person, and you bring up the topic/don't bean dip the topic, then it's very likely you wanted to have the screaming match/walk out, for whatever reason, though I don't want to jump to any unnecessarily harsh conclusions here.

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 01:37:38 AM »
Barbara Walters is the host, they are just talking heads.  As such, she controls the guests more than they do, so I don't fault them for leaving.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 03:39:26 AM »
If they can't stand the heat, they should get out of the kitchen...  permanently.

They are just drama queens.  If they just can't stand to be around anyone who has a different opinion on hot-button topics then they truly are in the wrong business.

Thin skinned drama queens.

I've heard some of the horrible and nasty things that Whoopi and Joy have said about other people on air--they have no leg to stand on taking offense at anything anyone says to them on air.

They are full of p1ss and vinegar when there is no one to oppose them, but when someone dares have a different opinion their view, they can't take it.

I guess now we know why it's called "The View"--there is only one.

MaggieB

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 04:27:41 AM »
I think it was unprofessional, although this:
is a good point.

These interviews are at most a few minutes long.  I guess I just don't see what is so bad about listening to someone you think is wrong for a few minutes.  I've had a lot of jobs working with the public, and people often talk to me about controversial issues like I obviously agree with them when I don't.  I just smile and say "Oh yeah?" or something like that.  People are allowed to be wrong (ie have a different opinion than I do ;) )  I know that it's different being on a TV show, but I think the principle is the same.  Bill O'Reilly has been on The View before, everyone knows that his opinions are controversial.  I think the way Barbara handled his comment was much, much classier. 

And really, all politics and religious discussion aside, Bill O'Reilly is someone whose methods really polarize people.  I think sometimes the best "revenge" is just letting him talk.  In the beginning of the interview when he said (something like) "You should listen to me, you'll learn" I was  ::) ::) ::) so hard I don't remember much of what he said after that.   Basically what I'm saying is that if Bill came out and spouted off on something that was inaccurate or politically incorrect (again, trying to keep this general...no comment on the actual statement) then he's the one who looks bad.