Author Topic: Font Colors??  (Read 27532 times)

SiotehCat

Font Colors??
« on: October 15, 2010, 04:18:09 PM »
Is it against the rules to use a color other then black when posting?

I saw a poster use a different color and I immediately thought it was the most awesome thing ever. A comment from one of the members lead me to believe that maybe we werent allowed.

Does anyone know whether they are allowed or not?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Font Colors??
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 04:25:02 PM »
It isn't that we aren't allowed; it's that some posters, depending on their background colour, have trouble reading the colour.

(Personally, I love the purple!)

ETA:  If someone posts in a way that is hard to read, send them a PM and let them know that.  They can then explain their reasoning and decide whether or not to continue to use a different than standard post formatting, knowing that some people will skip over their posts.  One recent person is feeling a bit unwelcome because of all the comments, I know.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:33:07 PM by Outdoor Girl »
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 04:48:21 PM »
There's no rule against using different colored fonts, certainly. But it could get to be pretty annoying if everyone is using different posting styles. If you want to distinguish your post from everyone else's don't forget the power of a nice sig. ;)
Utah

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 05:01:33 PM »
As a quick-fix, if there's a post you're having trouble reading because of its formatting, you can always use the Quote button so it appears (between the BBCode tags at beginning and end) as standard text in your preview box.  Then just backbutton out to return to the thread. :)

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 05:04:02 PM »
There's no rule against using different colored fonts, certainly. But it could get to be pretty annoying if everyone is using different posting styles. If you want to distinguish your post from everyone else's don't forget the power of a nice sig. ;)

And Ticia makes very nice sigs!
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »
Color would not be an issue for me unless it's a bright glowy color. The only other thing is font size. If it's too tiny, I'm not going to continually zoom in and out of the page just to read the post I'm afraid. It would be like the wall of text or posts with a lot  DD1, DD2, SMIL, EXFIL. I just won't read them.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 05:58:06 PM »
I'm colourblind and the different font colours would make it very difficult to read e-hell.

The default settings work perfectly well for me though.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Kai

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 08:05:52 PM »
I guess the only thing I can say here, at least I make an entrance? (weak joke).

I know my posts have stirred up debate here and I'm sorry for that. I've used colours and different formatting on every forum I've been to over the past 10 years. This seems to be the first forum where I am the one and only coloured poster, so maybe that in itself can be hard to get used to. Signatures can be good to distinguish between posters, but I've disabled that for me because I have to be very careful about how much bandwidth I use (which is a shame because I have at least a hundred beatiful sigs I would love to use).

I'm glad that not everyone minds though =) I'm using this post to test whether colour and bold together can overcome the problem, so here's hoping =S
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:23:38 AM by Kai »

ncgal

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 08:24:06 PM »
I know that anyone can use whatever font color they want, otherwise, why have the option for different colors, but on the background that I use, the Light Golden, having a post all blue, purple, etc, just makes my eyes hurt.  I think the colors are very nice, I love the purple, just hurts my eyes to read them. 

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »
No. The color and bolding together really don't make it easier to read, I'm afraid.

I tried to go in and read your thread in the Wedding Etiquette folder. And, I'm afraid it was so hard on the eyes that I gave up. :( I do think that's unfortunate, because it could be that you had something useful to ask. I don't know. :(

It totally is your right to post in a way that not everyone can read here. But, I guess you're going to need to be aware that that is going to cut your readership down. That's not because we don't welcome you. It's because you're choosing to make it difficult for us to read what you say.

Several people tried to give you some helpful ways of still finding your posts. And, reasons of why you've gotten the reaction here that you did. Please do read them - if, for no other reason, to understand where we're coming from.

We do welcome you here. I just wish we could all actually read what you're saying more easily.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 08:35:09 PM by DottyG »

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »
Speaking only for myself, if you want your posts to be read, I'm afraid you'll have to stick to the default font and color (black).  Other colors are a strain on my eyes to read, and so I just don't.

Kai

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 08:42:43 PM »
No. The color and bolding together really don't make it easier to read, I'm afraid.

It's because you're choosing to make it difficult for us to read what you say.

Then is bolding alone acceptable? I'm not choosing to make it difficult, I'm just trying to work out what will be okay to everyone else but still makes it easy for me. And yes I am pedantic enough that when it is finally accepted, I'll go back and edit every post to fix them all. It's just finding what's acceptable first.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:22:55 AM by Kai »

Amava

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 08:45:24 PM »
What if you posted in normal font colour and then added to the bottom of each post, your name in purple bold? That might make your posts recognisable. (I'm just going to do this once now as an example, I'm not going to continue doing this.)

Ama

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 08:48:27 PM »
AMA, that's a great idea! A compromise. :)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »
Bolding tends to be used for emphasis, so bolding your entire post just makes you come across as pushy to me. It's in the same vein as all caps being "yelling."

Why is it so important to you that your posts stand out?