Author Topic: Font Colors??  (Read 28059 times)

Kai

Re: Font Colors??
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 08:52:47 PM »
What if you posted in normal font colour and then added to the bottom of each post, your name in purple bold? That might make your posts recognisable. (I'm just going to do this once now as an example, I'm not going to continue doing this.)

Ama

While that is a good suggestion, it's not enough for my eyes to pick up when scrolling through. That's why I make my entire post one thing so that I can pick it up quickly.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:21:53 AM by Kai »

SiotehCat

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 08:53:52 PM »
I actually really like the different colors and had never thought of it before.

I think that with any post, there is a chance that some people wont read it.

Amava

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 08:55:31 PM »
Well, I tried! ;)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 08:57:14 PM »
Well, I tried! ;)

It was a good compromise that would work for everyone. :-/

Kai

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 08:59:51 PM »
What about an avatar to distinguish your posts?  It's the little graphic that shows up under your name at the side of posts.

People have suggested that a few times, the only reason I can't is because I disabled the option of seeing avatars and signatures because I am on very limited bandwidth :(

Well, I tried! ;)

It was a good compromise that would work for everyone. :-/

As said, I'm trying to find what will work for everyone, including myself and while I appreciate the suggestion, it just won't work for me which is the whole point in doing anything other than default to begin with =/

« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 01:21:01 AM by Kai »

AprilRenee

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 09:02:08 PM »
I prefer thebolding over colors, actually, but overall, you won't find something to please everyone all the time. You have your reasons for posting as you do, it's not rude, in my book to do so. I would just be aware that some wont' read your posts/

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 09:02:52 PM »
There were seemingly some posts in another thread that appeared to be responses to me, since this topic in that thread is not allowed and that this thread is on that subject would it be appropriate for me to quote those posts and respond to them here?

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 09:15:07 PM »
What if you posted in normal font colour and then added to the bottom of each post, your name in purple bold? That might make your posts recognisable. (I'm just going to do this once now as an example, I'm not going to continue doing this.)

Ama

I truly don't understand, and I'm not trying to be mean.  Other posters have told you how you can easily go back and find your own posts.  Coloured fonts, and all-bold print can seem like attention-seeking.  Many people would interpret all-bold as being similar to all-caps - which on Net forums is generally viewed as "shouting".

Certainly you can be as creative as you want with your signature, although I have my setup as "not view signature" anyway.

While that is a good suggestion, it's not enough for my eyes to pick up when scrolling through. That's why I make my entire post one thing so that I can pick it up quickly.

SiotehCat

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »

Ama

I truly don't understand, and I'm not trying to be mean.  Other posters have told you how you can easily go back and find your own posts.  Coloured fonts, and all-bold print can seem like attention-seeking.  Many people would interpret all-bold as being similar to all-caps - which on Net forums is generally viewed as "shouting".

Certainly you can be as creative as you want with your signature, although I have my setup as "not view signature" anyway.

OP has said that she has turned off the signature option to save bandwidth.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 09:24:22 PM »
This seems to be the first forum where I am the one and only coloured poster, so maybe that in itself can be hard to get used to.

There's at least one other poster who always posts in color, actually.  I honestly don't mind, as long as it's a dark color (and I'd consider your purple to be dark enough).  I'd definitely take the purple over bolding the whole thing, since we actually do use bolding for emphasis.  The centering you used earlier threw me off much more than the color did.  

There has to be some solution that at least most of us can agree on.  Why do you want your posts to stand out?  That might help us to figure something out.  Is it so you can find your own posts and know where to start reading?  If you look to the right of thread titles that you haven't opened since you last read them, there's a little white button that says "new" that will take you right to the last post you haven't read.  When there's nothing new to read, the button disappears.  I'll post a picture to show you, maybe that will help.

Or, depending on your browser, you can set it to not allow any images from ehell, then enable signatures again, and give yourself a striking text signature, but it would be a hassle if you ever did want to see pictures.

Honestly, though, so long as you're okay with the fact that some people may skip your posts, it shouldn't be a problem.  There are a million possible pet peeves that will make someone skip a post, it would be impossible to avoid them all.

Ticia

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 09:25:13 PM »
Kai, what if you did something like this:

~*~*~*~*~*~KAI~*~*~*~*~*~

at the end of each post? Would that make it easier for you to see your own posts? It's not a signature, so it doesn't matter if you have signatures turned on, and you could keep the code for it on hand in a file on your computer and then just copy and paste it at the end of each post. You could make it as elaborate and as bold as you want it, as far as I'm concerned.
Utah

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 09:33:23 PM »
Is it so you can find your own posts and know where to start reading?  If you look to the right of thread titles that you haven't opened since you last read them, there's a little white button that says "new" that will take you right to the last post you haven't read.  When there's nothing new to read, the button disappears.

Wow!  Thanks for that information!  I didn't know that.  I always just thought it meant new things had been posted, not that I could go right to where I left off.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  ;-D

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »
Is it so you can find your own posts and know where to start reading?  If you look to the right of thread titles that you haven't opened since you last read them, there's a little white button that says "new" that will take you right to the last post you haven't read.  When there's nothing new to read, the button disappears.

Wow!  Thanks for that information!  I didn't know that.  I always just thought it meant new things had been posted, not that I could go right to where I left off.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  ;-D

You're welcome!  I'm starting to think we need a forum tech tips thread, with that info, and how to post a picture, and directions on what to do when "show new replies to your posts" vanishes :D

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2010, 10:01:23 PM »
I'll be frank and state that I have taken a bit of an issue with this topic. To me, it seems a bit like Kai is being pressured to do what others are wanting. Kai has at least tried to find a change that may be suitable but they have not worked for some thus far, in turn Kai didn't find another suggestion suitable but was shot down as being unreasonable.
Some are stating that it's alright for Kai to go forth with the font, but must accept that some people may not want to read it. In another thread I pointed out I had a similar thing to Kai and that I was fine with people just skipping my posts, but it seemed it was taken as me intentionally bothering people and I was questioned over it. I mentioned it was difficult for me to get out of that habit, and it seemed to be taken as me being a snowflake who simply did no want to accommodate others.

I believe it's been mentioned, but I feel that perhaps it needs to be stated again. We are both seen as being on the OC side. It's not that we've intentionally tried to bother people or want to say 'look at me!' but it's a habit that just took hold along with many other habits that we just do. I used to post in red and it took me years to stop automatically doing it. I tried to stop and found that I was still doing it without thinking, leaving me having to edit posts after the fact. I stopped largely because I stopped using forums for several years, so it was easier to cease once I used forums again.
I understand that to most it seems something perfectly simple to change, but to some of us it really isn't.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 10:03:09 PM by Skoffin »

Spoder

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2010, 10:24:05 PM »
Well, what an interesting thread!

Like gramma dishes, I did not know that you could actually click on the 'new' button, so big thanks from me too, Rainha! :D

I didn't say anything in Kai's first thread because I didn't want to be seen as dogpiling, and I was worried that Kai was feeling unwelcome. I have to 'fess up though, and say that my heart sank when I saw your first post, Kai, with the colour AND the centering. Without the centered text, it's much better.

Still, I do think it's easier to read E-Hell in plain black. What I'm worried about is that others will follow suit and we'll end up with a forum full of different colours. Truly? That IS going to be hard on some people's eyes. I read a screen all day and have bad (unsuccessful LASIK surgery) eyes, which are quite sensitive to light and colour contrast.

I don't want that to sound SS ('Oh, my poor sensitive eeeeeeyes! They trump Kai's right to post the way she wants!'). Personally, I respect your right to post as you wish, although I think Ticia's solution of the signature is fantastic compromise. I just hope that more people don't do it, or I'll probably be put off coming here. (My problem, I know, and just my 2 cents' worth  ;))