Author Topic: Font Colors??  (Read 28052 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: Font Colors??
« Reply #150 on: October 17, 2010, 06:11:54 AM »
DM, I've had really good experiences using picasa (picasaweb.google.com/). I went there from flickr (because I agree, it's a PITA) and never looked back :)

Interesting that Kai's posts are really huge for some of you - it's standard size (perhaps 1-2 pixels larger than the default). I don't have the font installed, and am using Chrome.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2010, 07:20:52 AM »
Let me clarify.  What I find SS is not using a different font or even colour. What I do consider SS is the excuses and reasons why A, B,,,N suggestion is not suitable or why none of the many suggestions on all the forum features wee ignored or struck down.

I think its easy for one to say if you don't like a post don't read it just skip to the next one. Wjen the post and Quote tree have a mix of humungous and small and the font takes up the entire screen requiring multiple scrolls that deviates wildly from the norm, yeah it is a problem to read but it also causes headaches and eye problems. 

I said all along I would skip the posts which the response was feeling unwelcome.  Can't win, it seems. 

I got a flight to catch. Hopefully no one tall sits behind me so I can recline my seat.  ;)

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2010, 07:28:08 AM »
Took me a while to read the whole thread.

Kai's posts come out like really tiny Times New Roman on my computer. (I'm running FF on a large screen but I have the settings so that I can see different fonts.) They're a bit small for me to read, so I don't. I wasn't planning on even contributing to this thread, but didn't "we" agree years back that one doesn't have to read posts one doesn't want to? If her posts annoy people, they are free not to read them. I re-read the "block poster" thread (that linked to an old thread which I also read) and the prevailing opinion is, if you don't like it, don't read it. What's with the idea of forcing someone to conform?

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2010, 08:49:04 AM »

Kai's posts come out like really tiny Times New Roman on my computer. (I'm running FF on a large screen but I have the settings so that I can see different fonts.) They're a bit small for me to read, so I don't. I wasn't planning on even contributing to this thread, but didn't "we" agree years back that one doesn't have to read posts one doesn't want to? If her posts annoy people, they are free not to read them. I re-read the "block poster" thread (that linked to an old thread which I also read) and the prevailing opinion is, if you don't like it, don't read it. What's with the idea of forcing someone to conform?

This is what it looks like on many of our computers.  There is certainly the right to use a font/size/method freely, however, when it encroaches negatively on other user's experiences, such that it hurts their head and eyes, it is a problem.   It is easy to skip the centered/purple posts with a scroll, but this large print screams out and takes over the entire page of an entire thread, especially when quote trees are used.  Yet, the small quotes are difficult to read amongst the big font. It is not good for eyes having to zoom in and out to focus on something like this.   

Just like accommodations should be made for other conditions, an issue affecting our eyesight and ability to zoom onto a thread should also be considered. 

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2010, 09:32:15 AM »
There is certainly the right to use a font/size/method freely, however, when it encroaches negatively on other user's experiences, such that it hurts their head and eyes, it is a problem.   It is easy to skip the centered/purple posts with a scroll, but this large print screams out and takes over the entire page of an entire thread, especially when quote trees are used.  Yet, the small quotes are difficult to read amongst the big font. It is not good for eyes having to zoom in and out to focus on something like this.   
Just like accommodations should be made for other conditions, an issue affecting our eyesight and ability to zoom onto a thread should also be considered. 

(I removed the size tag because...)

Yikes!

Why does it look so different on different browsers/computers? Just the settings? Because we don't have the fancy font that was originally used? I think in this case you're right - it's one thing to customize, it's another to whack the audience over the head. I wonder what it looks like on Opera or IE?

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

War_Doc

« Reply #155 on: October 17, 2010, 09:42:07 AM »
Wow...just wow.

A poster was asking about a font color/size so that their posts could stand out to make it easier for them to find said posts so that they could continue to be an active part of a thread.

It was going fine until someone decided to tell them they were acting a little (just a little mind you) snowflakey.  That really didn't sit well and put the OP on the defensive immediately and probably drove them from this thread.  The thread finally got back on track in regard to fonts and colors when another poster starts questioning about their OCD (which could have been done via PM0.  Although it wasn't really done in a negative way, it came across as such due to the earlier post.

I'm locking this thread down now because it has served its purpose.  I'm hoping people take things on board that when new posters post and are trying to learn, we cut them some slack.  We are all mature adults here and I would rather the new posters not get driven away because a few people have decided to approach the matter with a sledgehammer.

If there are problems, that is what the report button is for.
By their victory, the 3rd, 4th and 5th Marine Divisions and other units of the Fifth Amphibious Corps have made an accounting to their country which only history will be able to value fully. Among the Americans who served on Iwo Island, uncommon valor was a common virtue."

--Admiral C. W. Nimitz

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2010, 06:56:49 AM »
We have a blog?

The link is at the top of your page. Ceremonies and Civility Blog (Wedding). :)

The active blog is the main page of Ehell, not the wedding blog which hasn't been updated in months.  New story posted Monday through Thursday with Fridays reserved as "Feel Good Fridays!"