Author Topic: Font Colors??  (Read 27898 times)

Kai

Re: Font Colors??
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2010, 11:41:59 PM »
I don't want that to sound SS ('Oh, my poor sensitive eeeeeeyes! They trump Kai's right to post the way she wants!').
Actually I think sensitive eyesight is a perfectly good reason to trump someone else's wishes to post differently and that is why I am trying to compromise in a way to suit both my wishes but everyone else's as well. I certainly do not want to be the cause of someone's eye strain.

I'm using a newly installed font, that unless you also have installed, should not show up much differently from the default. I've checked it with a few other posters (thank you especially to Rain and Skoffin) and have been assured that it is fine but will run it here as well to see if anyone else has any issue with it. Is this okay?

I'm also testing the name at the bottom idea to see if that suits.

*][Kai][*

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2010, 11:52:12 PM »
I don't want that to sound SS ('Oh, my poor sensitive eeeeeeyes! They trump Kai's right to post the way she wants!').
Actually I think sensitive eyesight is a perfectly good reason to trump someone else's wishes to post differently and that is why I am trying to compromise in a way to suit both my wishes but everyone else's as well. I certainly do not want to be the cause of someone's eye strain.

I'm using a newly installed font, that unless you also have installed, should not show up much differently from the default. I've checked it with a few other posters (thank you especially to Rain and Skoffin) and have been assured that it is fine but will run it here as well to see if anyone else has any issue with it. Is this okay?

*][Kai][*

You do not need permission from anyone here regarding the font/style that you want to use.

However, you do need to be aware that some members here simply do not like bolt print/coloured print and might be unlikely to read your posts. It would appear that this does not matter to you, so everything is fine.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2010, 11:59:52 PM »
Thank you so much Kai. I really appreciate your efforts. I feel bad when I can't read someone's posts because of my eyes. :D
No matter where you go, there you are...

Kai

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2010, 12:04:11 AM »

You do not need permission from anyone here regarding the font/style that you want to use.

However, you do need to be aware that some members here simply do not like bolt print/coloured print and might be unlikely to read your posts. It would appear that this does not matter to you, so everything is fine.

I wouldn't say it doesn't matter to me, or else I would not be trying to find some way of compromise. I just feel that sometimes when you make attempts to compromise rather than simply doing what everyone else wants, can be seen as trying to be difficult rather than simply trying to come up with a solution to keep everyone, including myself, happy.

Permission may not be needed, but I'd certainly prefer to come up with a reasonable solution (rather than just doing the default) that people are fine with. And at least if another person ever joins and does the same, we'll have already found the right compromise and not have to go through all of this again.

Thank you so much Kai. I really appreciate your efforts. I feel bad when I can't read someone's posts because of my eyes. :D

Thanks ydpubs =) How does it read to you, any problems?

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Super Hero!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 12:14:45 AM »

*][Kai][*

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that she doesn't care or that it doesn't matter to her.  It seems clear throughout the thread that Kai has been trying to find something that does work for everybody, or at least as many people as possible.  I don't think it's fair to tell her the result of using bold or colored print when she's clearly already aware of that and looking at alternatives.

This next bit isn't directed specifically at kareng, but I think that we, as a forum, could be doing a better job of welcoming Kai and working with her, instead of just criticizing and suggesting that she's being unreasonable.  Pointing out a potential problem is fine, but in this thread and another one she posted it, some of the "warnings" really have come off as kind of harsh and unwelcoming.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 12:23:34 AM »
It looks great. I can read it just fine.
No matter where you go, there you are...

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2010, 12:50:54 AM »
I'll be the party pooper.

Honestly? It all starts to seem a bit snowflakey to me. Whether you mean it to or not, you are calling attention to your posts, and that only works as long as the majority of your fellow posters use the defaults. Do you not think others might also wish they had an easy way to find their own posts ocassionally?  If your post stands out to you, chances are it stands out to everyone else, too. It's fine to say, well, just skip that post, but things that are different draw the eye. It doesn't mean I'll read it, but I'll still notice it.

You can also go to your profile and at the bottom of a page is a link to every post you've made.

One Goat to Rule Them All

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2010, 01:27:16 AM »
Kai, Your new font and signature line looks great! I was also fine with the bold. I'll admit that when I opened your other thread and saw the bold I thought "oh, that's a bit unusual!", but I didn't find it distracting. I didn't see your other colours before you changed them, so I won't comment on that aspect, but I think you would be absolutely fine to stick with the slightly different font.

I will say that I'm disappointed by some of the reactions this subject has received. We aren't sheep here, it's not wrong to be a bit different. Kai has clearly tried very hard to find a compromise, and she's been very graciously handling some rather harsh criticism.

CakeBeret

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2010, 02:02:34 AM »
I think the new font is a good compromise. I don't think it will be hard on the eyes (but I can only speak for myself) and it still accomplishes your goal of being able to find your posts easily.

Welcome to the forum!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Spoder

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2010, 02:10:46 AM »
Agreed. I find it much easier on the eyes than colour (and even then, just a few colours wouldn't bother me - it was more the thought of having the whole forum multicoloured).

I hope you're not feeling unwelcome, Kai. Nice to meet you!  :)

Kai

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2010, 07:11:41 AM »
Honestly? It all starts to seem a bit snowflakey to me. Whether you mean it to or not, you are calling attention to your posts, and that only works as long as the majority of your fellow posters use the defaults. Do you not think others might also wish they had an easy way to find their own posts ocassionally?  If your post stands out to you, chances are it stands out to everyone else, too. It's fine to say, well, just skip that post, but things that are different draw the eye. It doesn't mean I'll read it, but I'll still notice it.

I was under the impression that a snowflake is someone who knows the rules/protocols and decides 'hey I don't care if it is an inconvenience to anyone else. I like it so I'm going to do it!', that's what I have been told at any rate. If that is correct, then I do disagree with being called a snowflake (though I admit, I'm obviously biased in this respect). I didn't know when I first joined that there would be opposition to using post formatting, especially as there was no mention of it in the rules. When I was informed, I did my best to appease everyone, while still being able to appease myself at the same time. I do not think wanting that is necessarily a bad thing, nor does it have to be a hard thing. I think it may simply look worse than it is because it took a while and experimentation to reach an acceptable compromise.

I've mentioned a few times around the forum and in private chats, that this is largely in part due to OCD. It's not something I can necessarily help, but I know how much OCD can annoy those who do not really understand it and I make as much effort as possible to reduce how much it affects others. I've downloaded a new font to use, so that unless any of you have also gone and downloaded it, my posts will look different to me and appease my neurotic brain, but will revert to near-default font for all of you. Basically, I will be the only one who sees it. Extreme? Yes, but that is unfortunately part and parcel of OCD.

Whether other posters want to be 'different' as well is none of my business, and my posts are not an attempt to stand out to anyone else, or else I would not have gone to the effort of installing a font that will only stand out to myself.

So for those who were annoyed or even angered, I can only say I'm sorry for the trouble that it has caused and hope that it is not a serious enough offence for you to remain annoyed or angry with me.

For those who came to my defense or spoke to me and tried to help me compromise, I am indeed grateful to you all for your understanding and graciousness, and I hope I can show you throughout the forum that your patience in me was worth it.

I think I'd rather refrain from posting in this thread any further though because it was meant to ask whether colours were okay to use and really has descended into something else and I think we could all contribute much more elsewhere on the forum.

sweetgirl

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 10:30:35 AM »
There are MANY different characters of people on here who stand out for many reasons. Kai has already stated why she does it and is willing to compromise the best that SHE can. If you dont like her posts,or her fonts then dont read it. Simple. Theres many topics I dont read because I'm not interested in or skip over,even ones I've posted in. As someone said, we arent sheep. If you dont like it then dont read it.

I've noticed quite a few people make comments to others because their grammer isnt right,or they arent using enough paragraphs or sentance breaks and other little silly things because THEY have a problem with it. Nobody else makes a comment. Just them. Not everybody is going to have the same writing style as you,or education or even desire to have to write the same as you just because you prefer it that way. It feels like the forum police at times and is really rude and disruptive to some posts . Kai has been really good about working with everybody for a happy medium and even thats not enough. She isnt going to please all of you and thats okay. She shouldnt be expected too.

AprilRenee

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 11:30:58 AM »
There are MANY different characters of people on here who stand out for many reasons. Kai has already stated why she does it and is willing to compromise the best that SHE can. If you dont like her posts,or her fonts then dont read it. Simple. Theres many topics I dont read because I'm not interested in or skip over,even ones I've posted in. As someone said, we arent sheep. If you dont like it then dont read it.

I've noticed quite a few people make comments to others because their grammer isnt right,or they arent using enough paragraphs or sentance breaks and other little silly things because THEY have a problem with it. Nobody else makes a comment. Just them. Not everybody is going to have the same writing style as you,or education or even desire to have to write the same as you just because you prefer it that way. It feels like the forum police at times and is really rude and disruptive to some posts . Kai has been really good about working with everybody for a happy medium and even thats not enough. She isnt going to please all of you and thats okay. She shouldnt be expected too.

I was thinking about this earlier and you brought up some good points. In my vast message board experience, this is the only board I've ever been on that has such a...disconnect, maybe, about posting styles. I've never been on another board where such a big deal has been made about someone having a different posting style, whether it's posting in color or posting in bold. There are style differences that I dont like, but I just quietly skip over the post. Sometimes I feel that new posters probably feel pretty unwelcome because they post a question and then get 2 pages of "don't post that way, post this way" posts

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »

I was thinking about this earlier and you brought up some good points. In my vast message board experience, this is the only board I've ever been on that has such a...disconnect, maybe, about posting styles. I've never been on another board where such a big deal has been made about someone having a different posting style, whether it's posting in color or posting in bold. There are style differences that I dont like, but I just quietly skip over the post. Sometimes I feel that new posters probably feel pretty unwelcome because they post a question and then get 2 pages of "don't post that way, post this way" posts

While it can quickly get out of hand and be somewhat over-the-top, I think the reason why you get those posts on threads started by new posters is because the alternative is that only one or two people will respond, and the poster's question won't get answered.  Nor will subsequent posts, unless the new poster is able to connect on his/her own that the reason why nobody is actually responding is that they have a hard time reading the post.

In addition to that, I rarely post and tell people that I'm having trouble reading their posts.  I don't recall that I've ever done it, but it is at least infrequent.  But when someone else posts that same thing, there is almost a 100% chance that I agree completely with it.  I won't say that anywhere, though, because I feel like it's unnecessary to post my agreement that the OP is hard to read, especially if the OP makes changes in response to it.

So the fact that one person said, "Your post is difficult to read this way, perhaps you can try posting this other way instead?" does not mean that nobody else agreed with it.  All it means is that nobody else wanted to explicitly state that they agreed with it.  But I'd bet that, most of the time, the number of people actually reading the OP all the way through and responding to it jumps significantly after that one poster tells the OP that it would be easier to read with a few formatting changes.

I will be honest here--I very rarely read posts that don't have enough paragraph breaks.  I generally skip over posts with grammar bad enough that I have to spend a lot of time figuring out what the poster meant.  I couldn't easily read Kai's posts when she was centering them, and even though I did try, I gave up and started skipping over them.  I didn't have as much trouble with the colored posts, but entire blocks of colored text get tiring to read even for people whose eyesight is good, because there's usually not as much contrast.

Since it seems that the entire point of joining a message board and being active is to discuss things, it's kind of counterproductive if nobody can read anything you've said.  I actually think it is more of a kindness than otherwise for older posters to politely point out when a new poster's formatting is going to make that particular goal more difficult to attain.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2010, 12:09:47 PM »

Can you please point out where anyone here has commented on someones grammar in a negative way?  I've never seen that.

I see nothing wrong with asking someone to put paragraph breaks in their post.  Maybe the person asking would really like to read the post, but can't when it's all in one lump block.  If the OP doesn't want to change the post, fine, but asking them to make the post a bit more readable isn't rude, IMO.

Also, I've looked at and been active in many threads where an OP posted in a way that was really difficult to read.  In my experience, it's never been just ONE person asking the OP to make a quick adjustment.  Additionally, I've never seen this request made in a rude way and I've never seen any one poster ask more than one time.   

In "real-life" I'd equate it to asking a person (who is seeking your advice) to either speak louder, so you can hear them, or to slow down so you can understand them.  I've done that before, and it's always come from my desire to offer the best possible advice I can. 

If someone comes here looking for advice, posting in a manner that is rarely seen or used, then I think it's actually courteous to mention it.  If said person doesn't wish to change the way they post, that's OK too, but I don't think it hurts (or is rude) to ask.
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill