Author Topic: Font Colors??  (Read 28184 times)

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
Re: Font Colors??
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »
I've noticed quite a few people make comments to others because their grammer isnt right,or they arent using enough paragraphs or sentance breaks and other little silly things because THEY have a problem with it. Nobody else makes a comment. Just them. Not everybody is going to have the same writing style as you,or education or even desire to have to write the same as you just because you prefer it that way. It feels like the forum police at times and is really rude and disruptive to some posts . Kai has been really good about working with everybody for a happy medium and even thats not enough. She isnt going to please all of you and thats okay. She shouldnt be expected too.

Can you please point out where anyone here has commented on someones grammar in a negative way?  I've never seen that.

I see nothing wrong with asking someone to put paragraph breaks in their post.  Maybe the person asking would really like to read the post, but can't when it's all in one lump block.  If the OP doesn't want to change the post, fine, but asking them to make the post a bit more readable isn't rude, IMO.

Also, I've looked at and been active in many threads where an OP posted in a way that was really difficult to read.  In my experience, it's never been just ONE person asking the OP to make a quick adjustment.  Additionally, I've never seen this request made in a rude way and I've never seen any one poster ask more than one time.   

In "real-life" I'd equate it to asking a person (who is seeking your advice) to either speak louder, so you can hear them, or to slow down so you can understand them.  I've done that before, and it's always come from my desire to offer the best possible advice I can. 

If someone comes here looking for advice, posting in a manner that is rarely seen or used, then I think it's actually courteous to mention it.  If said person doesn't wish to change the way they post, that's OK too, but I don't think it hurts (or is rude) to ask.

Well, I remember we had a big 'text-speak'-bashing thread once ;D

Wavicle

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2010, 12:30:56 PM »
This board has  every different culture than many other boards. It is very structured, and it can be hard to get used to when you are used to more free for all type things. I think simple FYIs about how things are generally done can be helpful.It doesn't mean that the new poster needs to confrom, just that they should know exactly how much they are standing out so that they can decide if they want to go with the flow or potentially have people skipping their posts.

Maybe in addition to the rules and the hot topics thread, we could have a "Facts about EHell Culture" that aren't solid rules, but just some notes about how things tend to be done here vs other forums.

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2010, 12:39:47 PM »
Well, I remember we had a big 'text-speak'-bashing thread once ;D

Lol!  I was trying to find that thread because EhellDame made a great post in it.  It fit really well w/in this discussion.

(I'm always amazed (and a little sad) that my son brings home English assignments where the teacher actually has to instruct the students that they cannot write book reports in "text speak.")
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2010, 12:51:51 PM »
This board has  every different culture than many other boards. It is very structured, and it can be hard to get used to when you are used to more free for all type things. I think simple FYIs about how things are generally done can be helpful.It doesn't mean that the new poster needs to confrom, just that they should know exactly how much they are standing out so that they can decide if they want to go with the flow or potentially have people skipping their posts.

Maybe in addition to the rules and the hot topics thread, we could have a "Facts about EHell Culture" that aren't solid rules, but just some notes about how things tend to be done here vs other forums.

Not to be overly picky, but the culture you refer to isn't hidden under a bushel basket. It's pretty obvious from a casual look around, that for the most part, posters here use proper grammar and capitalization , full sentences, no text-speak, and pretty much leave the defaults alone, unless they intend for some part of their post to stand out.

Somethings may not be as obvious until you've been around a while. I recently saw a post where a newcomer said she did not intend to breed. She was told, politely, that that word is potentially offensive, poster apologized, and the thread moved on.

Aside from being intentionally offensive, which could get one gagged or banned, none of these things are 'rules', just stuff that most people see and assimilate by ossmosis. There's no reason why I can't post "OM*G!!, U shld C wut I dd 2 mi hair, LOL!!1!" (aside from there being no actual etiquette question there), but there's also no way I'd think I was fitting into the culture of this board, or expect anyone to read it if I did so.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 12:56:49 PM by DangerMouth »

Wavicle

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2010, 01:04:58 PM »
Good point DangerMouth, maybe the issue is more people not lurking long enough or people do realize it and don't need the heads up, or there will always just be a bit of adjustment for new posters. I just tend to notice that sometimes new posters take some time to adjust.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2010, 01:08:34 PM »
There are MANY different characters of people on here who stand out for many reasons. Kai has already stated why she does it and is willing to compromise the best that SHE can. If you dont like her posts,or her fonts then dont read it. Simple. Theres many topics I dont read because I'm not interested in or skip over,even ones I've posted in. As someone said, we arent sheep. If you dont like it then dont read it.

I've noticed quite a few people make comments to others because their grammer isnt right,or they arent using enough paragraphs or sentance breaks and other little silly things because THEY have a problem with it. Nobody else makes a comment. Just them. Not everybody is going to have the same writing style as you,or education or even desire to have to write the same as you just because you prefer it that way. It feels like the forum police at times and is really rude and disruptive to some posts . Kai has been really good about working with everybody for a happy medium and even thats not enough. She isnt going to please all of you and thats okay. She shouldnt be expected too.

I was thinking about this earlier and you brought up some good points. In my vast message board experience, this is the only board I've ever been on that has such a...disconnect, maybe, about posting styles. I've never been on another board where such a big deal has been made about someone having a different posting style, whether it's posting in color or posting in bold. There are style differences that I dont like, but I just quietly skip over the post. Sometimes I feel that new posters probably feel pretty unwelcome because they post a question and then get 2 pages of "don't post that way, post this way" posts

While it can quickly get out of hand and be somewhat over-the-top, I think the reason why you get those posts on threads started by new posters is because the alternative is that only one or two people will respond, and the poster's question won't get answered.  Nor will subsequent posts, unless the new poster is able to connect on his/her own that the reason why nobody is actually responding is that they have a hard time reading the post.

In addition to that, I rarely post and tell people that I'm having trouble reading their posts.  I don't recall that I've ever done it, but it is at least infrequent.  But when someone else posts that same thing, there is almost a 100% chance that I agree completely with it.  I won't say that anywhere, though, because I feel like it's unnecessary to post my agreement that the OP is hard to read, especially if the OP makes changes in response to it.

So the fact that one person said, "Your post is difficult to read this way, perhaps you can try posting this other way instead?" does not mean that nobody else agreed with it.  All it means is that nobody else wanted to explicitly state that they agreed with it.  But I'd bet that, most of the time, the number of people actually reading the OP all the way through and responding to it jumps significantly after that one poster tells the OP that it would be easier to read with a few formatting changes.

I will be honest here--I very rarely read posts that don't have enough paragraph breaks.  I generally skip over posts with grammar bad enough that I have to spend a lot of time figuring out what the poster meant.  I couldn't easily read Kai's posts when she was centering them, and even though I did try, I gave up and started skipping over them.  I didn't have as much trouble with the colored posts, but entire blocks of colored text get tiring to read even for people whose eyesight is good, because there's usually not as much contrast.

Since it seems that the entire point of joining a message board and being active is to discuss things, it's kind of counterproductive if nobody can read anything you've said.  I actually think it is more of a kindness than otherwise for older posters to politely point out when a new poster's formatting is going to make that particular goal more difficult to attain.

I agree with you 100% Dindrane. I have done the same as you. I will not say anything to the poster but I will pass over reading their posts. I will comment in threads about these issues in this folder, like the ones about no page breaks or the use of too many DD1's, MIL's etc. I come here as many here for entertainment and if I can, to be of help. But if it is a lot of work to slog through a post due to grammar, paragraph breaks, font color or size, all initials and no names, I just won't read them. Any post that is like that pretty much guarantees that I won't read it and will agree with any poster who comments that I can't read it. I won't say anything in a given thread because of reactions like the above in this post and possible accusations of dogpiling.

And yes, if a new person posts a thread, and due to any or all of the issues I listed, and they get very few or nor replies how will they know if no one says anything? I think the lack of replies can make someone feel pretty unwelcome too. I am not here to tell people how to post, I can only post what I will or will not read because even though I hate to admit it, my eyesight is getting worse as I get older (ACK!) and eyestrain and a headache are not things I want whilst reading for entertainment.

As for posting styles on other board, well I have visited board that were much, much, much stricter on what and how to post, I'm talking zero tolerance with gags for infractions and bans if there are more than a few incidients.
Few examples:

No one or a few word posts like, I agree or Yes.

No off topic talk AT ALL in topical folders.

Proper grammar and punctuation and definitely no textspeak.

Those are just a few. And even more places that limit size, content, etc. of signatures.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Skoffin

• I am not a fish
  • The greatest Skoffin that ever Skoffed
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2010, 01:25:39 PM »

Can you please point out where anyone here has commented on someones grammar in a negative way?  I've never seen that.

I myself have seen quite a few disparaging remarks on other peoples posts, particularly on the Ehell blog itself. Usually variations of the LW giving too much information, too little information, poor spelling, mixing up a pseudonym, putting too much emphasis on something and so forth.

I agree with posters that it is fine, and perhaps even helpful, to let someone know that their posts are a bit hard to read and it may result in less responses. The problem lies when it comes across in a disrespectful manner.

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2010, 01:31:27 PM »
ydpubs makes a good point. Too many rules and the place gets unfriendly.

I've noticed a few other things about the 'culture' here, just browsing aroung this am: Posters mostly comment 'below' the quoted text, instead of above it, and mostly, posters don't sign their threads. In both of these instances, enough people do it one way that someone doing it differently is enough to make me notice. (It doesn't bother me, maybe it's driving someone else up a wall, I don't know.)

So maybe I'll just take it to the "what little things drive you nuts" thread the next time someone posts in purple ;)

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2010, 01:33:44 PM »

Can you please point out where anyone here has commented on someones grammar in a negative way?  I've never seen that.

I myself have seen quite a few disparaging remarks on other peoples posts, particularly on the Ehell blog itself. Usually variations of the LW giving too much information, too little information, poor spelling, mixing up a pseudonym, putting too much emphasis on something and so forth.

I agree with posters that it is fine, and perhaps even helpful, to let someone know that their posts are a bit hard to read and it may result in less responses. The problem lies when it comes across in a disrespectful manner.

The blog and the forum are two very different places, with a different set of rules, if I recall correctly.  

I don't think it's fair to come here, the forum, and make comments about what people do/say on the blog as if it's happening here, when it's not.  

I have no problem with someone saying that not enough information has been given.  I think it's prudent actually, to say that more information is needed before giving advice.  

As far as anyone being disparaging (here), re:, giving too much information, commenting on someones poor spelling or grammar, mixing up a pseudonym, putting too much emphasis on something and so forth, can you please point out where that has happened?  I've not seen that here and I'm curious where you have.

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

ydpubs

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2010, 01:36:11 PM »

Can you please point out where anyone here has commented on someones grammar in a negative way?  I've never seen that.

The blog and the forum are two very different places, with a different set of rules, if I recall correctly.  

I don't think it's fair to come here, the forum, and make comments about what people do/say on the blog as if it's happening here, when it's not.  

I have no problem with someone saying that not enough information has been given.  I think it's prudent actually, to say that more information is needed before giving advice.  

As far as anyone being disparaging (here), re:, giving too much information, commenting on someones poor spelling or grammar, mixing up a pseudonym, putting too much emphasis on something and so forth, can you please point out where that has happened?  I've not seen that here and I'm curious where you have.

I have to agree with Scuba Dog. I don't read the blog and I haven't really seen that within the forum.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2010, 01:38:48 PM »
We have a blog?

ydpubs

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2010, 01:39:19 PM »
We have a blog?

I know! LOL! I had no clue.

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »
I've seen plenty of times when people mixed up their psuedonyms and were asked about it. But what do you expect. Hearing that Harry stood up Sally is a whole different story than if Sally stood up Harry. Being able to tell the players is key in understanding a situation. I don't see anything at all disrespectful in pointing out a mix-up or asking for clarification.

I've never seen a poster here chided for spelling, typos or grammar.

As for the blog posts that are brought over from there to be dissected here, some of them do bash the original poster (not the OP who brought it here). Usually this is because it's one of those 'this person was soooo rude' posts, and it's obvious that it's the originalposter who was out of line. And yeah, they can get a little gleeful in taking the originalposter down a bit. But the difference, that person isn't here to be insulted. It becomes more-or-less hypothetical at that point.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2010, 01:44:58 PM »
We have a blog?

The link is at the top of your page. Ceremonies and Civility Blog (Wedding). :)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2010, 01:48:47 PM »
We have a blog?

The link is at the top of your page. Ceremonies and Civility Blog (Wedding). :)

Oh. But that's a totally different entity than the forums. What happens there can't be attributed to what happens here. ???