Author Topic: Invisible text  (Read 2012 times)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
Invisible text
« on: October 16, 2010, 04:57:50 AM »
Sometimes people change the colour of the font so you can't see the text unless you highlight it. I think this is a good idea. Would it be possible to have a choice from the drop down menu "Change Color" to "invisible" which is the same text as a the background of the post? This would mean it would automatically be hidden. Lots of time I see yellow text on a different colour background because I am using a different colour scheme to that poster.

It's not a massive need but it is a thing that would be nice to have. Or it could be a markup command similar to superscript.

Kai

Re: Invisible text
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 07:29:16 AM »
What would the invisible text be used for? It sounds similar to the idea of a spoiler tag (although that is just a black box around the selected text). If that is what you would like it for, I think it would be cool to have and can be a good idea.

What else would it be used for?

Bob Ducca

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 07:48:39 AM »
What would the invisible text be used for? It sounds similar to the idea of a spoiler tag (although that is just a black box around the selected text). If that is what you would like it for, I think it would be cool to have and can be a good idea.

What else would it be used for?

Sometimes people use it for information that other posters might find sensitive.  In threads dealing with death, miscarriage, pregnancy, or medical issues, for example, a poster might put the details in an "invisible" color in case some posters find them relevant, but not all posters have to read them.

Kai

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 07:57:23 AM »

Sometimes people use it for information that other posters might find sensitive.  In threads dealing with death, miscarriage, pregnancy, or medical issues, for example, a poster might put the details in an "invisible" color in case some posters find them relevant, but not all posters have to read them.

Thanks for explaining that to me =) So it really does sound like the same concept of a spoiler tag, just not as obvious as the big black box. In that case, I do think it is a good idea to have.

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 11:47:16 AM »
I always use beige. Is that color easily seen?

In one of the forum incarnations, we actually had a spoiler feature.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 02:56:54 PM »
I can see the yellow text some people use very clearly, and so have found out all sorts of things I'd rather not know since switching to my laptop. I'd be in favor of this idea.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »
I always use beige. Is that color easily seen?

In one of the forum incarnations, we actually had a spoiler feature.
I can see the yellow text some people use very clearly, and so have found out all sorts of things I'd rather not know since switching to my laptop. I'd be in favor of this idea.

Wow! I've been looking for a better color than yellow, which I know shows up a little too well.

Thanks, Scritzy, and sorry about that, M-theory.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 08:07:39 PM »
The problem is that, given the range of colour options available for viewing the forum, some colours are less effective than others for the purposes of masking text.

However, if you want to be really clever ;D you can combine the glow and font colour functions (so long as they're the same colour in both cases). It's highlight-to-read, and should ensure that the text in question stays hidden on every background.

This:

will give you this:

Your text here.

Amava

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
Wow! That IS clever, Ferrets!! Good idea!

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 08:56:43 PM »
Neat tip Ferrets!

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 09:10:57 PM »
Wow! I've been looking for a better color than yellow, which I know shows up a little too well.

Thanks, Scritzy, and sorry about that, M-theory.

No need to apologize - it happens. :)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 03:32:34 PM »
The problem is that, given the range of colour options available for viewing the forum, some colours are less effective than others for the purposes of masking text.

However, if you want to be really clever ;D you can combine the glow and font colour functions (so long as they're the same colour in both cases). It's highlight-to-read, and should ensure that the text in question stays hidden on every background.

This:

will give you this:

Your text here.

I can't see that in Flamingvixen, but I can in Internet Explorer. It shows up as slightly blurry red text. But if you change the 2 to a 9 [glow=red,9,300] it is too blurry to read. :)

You can also change it to white [ glow=white,2,300 ][ color=white ] but in IE, that just looks like you've broken your monitor screen. ;D Ah, the joys of computing!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 03:37:19 PM »
I can't see that in Flamingvixen, but I can in Internet Explorer. It shows up as slightly blurry red text. But if you change the 2 to a 9 [glow=red,9,300] it is too blurry to read. :)

You can also change it to white [ glow=white,2,300 ][ color=white ] but in IE, that just looks like you've broken your monitor screen. ;D Ah, the joys of computing!

Ah, darn: I'm using F!refox (and see the neat little red box with this), and didn't think to test it in IE. :-\ Thanks for posting the info and the tweak!

EDIT - Wow, that is quite a difference...and blue2000's adjustment to 9 works nicely. :)

[glow=red,2,300][color=red]Text text text.[/color][/glow]

[glow=red,9,300][color=red]Text text text.[/color][/glow]

results in

F!refox

IE
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 03:53:17 PM by Ferrets »

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 04:26:05 PM »
Ah, darn: I'm using F!refox (and see the neat little red box with this), and didn't think to test it in IE. :-\ Thanks for posting the info and the tweak!

You are welcome! And thanks for posting the idea! That's quite a neat trick for a spoiler feature! :D Now M-theory can eat and read Ehell at the same time again. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Namárië

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 01:38:31 PM »
This makes me wish there was a tips and tricks sticky. This would be perfect for it! (Along with the "new" button!)

Ferrets, in Chrome that looks the same as it does in FF.  :D
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com