Author Topic: Russell Brand doesn't want wedding presents  (Read 1846 times)

Nora

Re: Russell Brand doesn't want wedding presents
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 08:40:31 AM »
There was already a thread about this a while back. I remember consensus being that the sentiment was good, but you can't tell people not to buy you anything.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
But if we stick with just his quote, he isn't even telling anybody not to give them anything.

He's just saying, "any money that people decide to give us, we're going to try and do something humane with it."

There is not a single thing wrong with *his actual quote*. (Be sure not to focus on all the commentary around it.)

Except, perhaps that he's bothering to talk about gifts at all--but we also don't know whether he was directly asked about it, etc.

Oh, and I suppose that if I were planning to give them money because I wanted them to use it to buy somethign indulgent, or useful, I might be offended. But that's what happens when you give money.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 01:08:45 PM »
There is not a single thing wrong with *his actual quote*. (Be sure not to focus on all the commentary around it.)

POD.

I guess in extremely technical terms he should have not addressed the issue at all so as to avoid any hint of requesting a specific gift or of implying people would be bringing gifts because everyone knows they don't have too . . . .

But let's be realistic. They are both celebs and can probably look forward to a mountain of stuff they have no need or desire for. Getting this statement out means when they turn around and stage an auction of stuff from people they barely know or otherwise donate gifts or cash, they should minimize any PR backlash from doing so.