Author Topic: Mrs. Thomas wants Anita Hill apology.  (Read 1982 times)

Carnation

• Super Hero!
Mrs. Thomas wants Anita Hill apology.
« on: October 20, 2010, 09:35:24 AM »
Oh my goodness! 

The wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas wants Anita Hill to apologize for her decades ago s-ex harrassment allegations. :o

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2010/10/20/good-morning-anita-hill-its-ginni-thomas/

The etiquette of the situation is that Ms. Thomas is not a party to what transpired and should MYOB.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
Re: Mrs. Thomas wants Anita Hill apology.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 09:42:20 AM »
It baffles me why, if she wants an apology & feels so strongly that to contact her after this much time, that she doesn't even have the courage to call her during work/office hours but waits for a Saturday morning & leaves a voicemail...    Yes, she was affected by what happened, but she was not directly involved and should stay out of it - it's past time to let it go.

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Maggie

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:43:10 AM »
All I can say is wow!  :o

hollasa

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 10:12:33 AM »
I would also have thought that "extending an olive branch" doesn't mean assuming that the other person is wrong from the start.

kschmid5

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:22:20 AM »
yeah, that is not an olive branch.  Plus, it sounds like Ms. Thomas believes that more happened between her husband and Ms. Hill.  I only say this because of the words "what you did WITH my husband" rather than "what you did TO my husband."

How obnoxious of her, to just randomly leave that voicemail (with all of it's blaming and subtext) over the weekend on Ms. Hill's WORK number.   Not to mention the demand for an apology and an explanation.  I think Ms. Thomas needs a primer on olive branches.   

LibraryLady

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 10:24:45 AM »
Why now?   ???

LL

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »
Why now?   ???

LL

I kinda wonder is Mrs. Hill isn't either going a bit loopy, or thinking about marketing herself and wants the PR. Except I don't think she has any history of being politically motivated herself. 

This is just weird.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 10:47:21 AM »
Why now?   ???

LL

I kinda wonder is Mrs. Hill isn't either going a bit loopy, or thinking about marketing herself and wants the PR. Except I don't think she has any history of being politically motivated herself. 

This is just weird.

I don't know about Ms. Hill, but I believe Mrs. Thomas runs one of the Tea Party groups, so this seems like a weird time to try to bring attention back to this negative event in her life.  It would be like Hillary, right in the middle of a campaign, leaving Monica Lewinsky a voicemail asking for an apology.

Whoops I meant I wonder if Mrs. Thomas isn't going a bit loopy. Anita Hill seems to be fine  :)

Actually this makes perfect sense if she's trying to get her Tea Party group some publicity.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »
yeah, that is not an olive branch.  Plus, it sounds like Ms. Thomas believes that more happened between her husband and Ms. Hill.  I only say this because of the words "what you did WITH my husband" rather than "what you did TO my husband."

I heard this on the news and noticed the wording too.  At first I thought the story was about how Ms. Hill now has more proof.

poundcake

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »
Something tells me Mrs. Thomas is projecting anger at her husband at a perceived "other woman," even two decades after the fact. I wish she had called a psychologist instead of Anita Hill.

Lexophile

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
Why now?   ???

LL

This is just weird.

I don't know about Ms. Hill, but I believe Mrs. Thomas runs one of the Tea Party groups, so this seems like a weird time to try to bring attention back to this negative event in her life.  It would be like Hillary, right in the middle of a campaign, leaving Monica Lewinsky a voicemail asking for an apology.

Whoops I meant I wonder if Mrs. Thomas isn't going a bit loopy. Anita Hill seems to be fine  :)

Actually this makes perfect sense if she's trying to get her Tea Party group some publicity.

The Thomas couple recently published a book. The wording of the vm she left smacks of language one would use when trying to incite continuing drama. I think Ms. Hill handled it beautifully.
"Submission to what people call their 'lot' is simply ignoble. If your lot makes you cry and be wretched, get rid of it and take another." - Elizabeth von Arnim

greenleafmountain

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 03:40:44 PM »
Why now?   ???

LL

This is just weird.

The Thomas couple recently published a book. The wording of the vm she left smacks of language one would use when trying to incite continuing drama. I think Ms. Hill handled it beautifully.

I agree.  I would have been so livid to receive a voicemail like that- I've only read the text, not heard the actual recording, but the wording just seemed so smug and patronizing to me.  Ms. Hill showed incredible class and restraint in her response.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 03:42:57 PM »
Something tells me Mrs. Thomas is projecting anger at her husband at a perceived "other woman," even two decades after the fact. I wish she had called a psychologist instead of Anita Hill.

This.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls