News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• September 03, 2015, 02:34:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Etiquette of Posting Pics on FB  (Read 1270 times)

SnugsMom

Etiquette of Posting Pics on FB
« on: August 26, 2015, 02:48:27 PM »
Just saw this today...

https://www.scarymommy.com/facebook-picture-posting-etiquette/

A bit OTT, but I do hate it when someone tags me in an unflattering photo.

What do you think?  Should you ask everyone in the pic before tagging them?

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
Re: Etiquette of Posting Pics on FB
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 02:56:08 PM »
The onus is on the user who doesn't want to be tagged to make sure their privacy settings are so that FB will ask before tagging is allowed - that way they can control who tags them and on what, or no one at all, I believe.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:56:58 PM »
This topic has come up before. My opinion is that no one has the right to put a picture of me on Facebook (or other social media) without my express permission. My image=my decision, full stop, no exceptions.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Cannonade

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 04:01:30 PM »
Technically, if a friend takes your picture in a public place (or a private property to which they were invited or welcomed) and posts it to their private web page, that's totally legit.  However, if one wants to STAY friends with someone, posting and then tagging unflattering pictures of their friend is possibly unwise.

gollymolly2

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 04:09:48 PM »
I think it's rude to post a picture that you know the other person wouldn't want you to post (whether it's an unflattering picture, they just don't like pictures in general, whatever).  Otherwise, I think it's fine to post.

If the other person doesn't like the picture, they can ask you to take it down (or untag it if other people are in it).

menley

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 05:36:47 PM »
Friends and family know that if I take a picture, it may end up on Facebook or Instagram. Those who object know that they can ask me not to post a photo and I'll happily oblige, or they're welcome to step out of the photo if others want them posted. I've never had problems in this capacity.

My father-in-law does love posting very unflattering photos of others online (think mid-bite into messy food!) and I quietly untag myself from those; he's commented on my untagging before, at which point I gently pointed out that it's not a flattering photo. He hasn't stopped posting them, but he has stopped asking why I untag myself.

Given the ubiquity of digital cameras and social media, and people's varying views on both, the easiest thing to do is for someone who is opposed to having their photo taken or displayed online is to step out of the photo, or to tell the photographer friend that they don't want it posted online, at the time the photo is taken. I think it's unrealistic to expect that everyone will ask your permission before posting a photo online if you have said nothing at the time of the photo.

NFPwife

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:23:23 PM »
I've shut my social media down because I don't like ppl knowing when I'm out of town. Especially if I'm alone. If there's a group photo at a work event or luncheon, I'll allow the tag once I'm home. There are times I've allowed all the tags while I wait for my luggage. While it would be nice if ppl didn't indiscriminately post and tag others, they do, therefore, I agree that the onus is on one to have his/ her social media locked up or to say "Don't post pics of me online."

Friends and family know that if I take a picture, it may end up on Facebook or Instagram. Those who object know that they can ask me not to post a photo and I'll happily oblige, or they're welcome to step out of the photo if others want them posted. I've never had problems in this capacity.

My father-in-law does love posting very unflattering photos of others online (think mid-bite into messy food!) and I quietly untag myself from those; he's commented on my untagging before, at which point I gently pointed out that it's not a flattering photo. He hasn't stopped posting them, but he has stopped asking why I untag myself.

Given the ubiquity of digital cameras and social media, and people's varying views on both, the easiest thing to do is for someone who is opposed to having their photo taken or displayed online is to step out of the photo, or to tell the photographer friend that they don't want it posted online, at the time the photo is taken. I think it's unrealistic to expect that everyone will ask your permission before posting a photo online if you have said nothing at the time of the photo.

Prior to the explosion of social media, I had a co-worker/ "friend" who would intentionally try to capture unflattering pictures of me. Then she'd post them in her office or, worse, on some collage on her office door. She said it was because I never took a bad picture so she just had to get a couple. We were out to eat one day and she pulled out the camera and I said, "Is that a new camera? Let me have a look," and then placed it out of her reach and said, "I can't relax and enjoy our time together when you're trying to get a 'gotcha' pic." She didn't completely stop, but she reduced significantly.

Klein Bottle

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 07:50:26 PM »
I always ask permission, unless I am absolutely certain that the subject doesn't mind, or on occasions where it's understood that pictures will be posted. I expect the same courtesy.

One of my cousins and I had a real issue with another cousin seemingly deliberately posting the most unflattering pictures of the two of us us that she could find. Our solution was to threaten revenge pictures.  No further ugly ones were ever posted.   ;D  In our family dynamic, such an act would not have been considered retaliatory rudeness, but instead, a corrective measure to get the point across, because sometimes the offending cousin didn't understand words, only actions.   :D
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 10:14:23 PM »
Sis asks me to take pictures at the kids' birthday parties. I always check with her if there are any kids that can't be photographed. I tag her and our mutual friends in the pictures. Then she tags the other parents.  Their school is always posting photos of different events/classroom activities and tagging all the parents so it is the norm for them. I've noticed that sis always makes a point of IDing me as her sister when she tags the other parents.

I also have my phone set to automatically back up my photos to two different sites. But those sites are set to private.

For me facebook thinks my sister looks like her two kids with their heads next to each other. Another cousin is always "recognized" when I take a picture of her three kids.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 06:55:26 AM »
I'd love to send this author a box of Godiva.  I hate being photographed and I make sure my friends know it.

However, when I told my cousin about a year and a half ago what did she do?  Posted an unflattering photo on her FB page that I had to untag myself from three hours later.  I have to hope that untagging myself sent the message because there wasn't an opportunity to address this face to face.

HannahGrace

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 07:09:18 AM »
I'd love to send this author a box of Godiva.  I hate being photographed and I make sure my friends know it.

However, when I told my cousin about a year and a half ago what did she do?  Posted an unflattering photo on her FB page that I had to untag myself from three hours later.  I have to hope that untagging myself sent the message because there wasn't an opportunity to address this face to face.

I know you are opposed to photos in general, but you can set your Facebook preferences not to allow anyone to tag you in case someone in the future doesn't know how you feel about this issue.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 08:48:54 AM »

I know you are opposed to photos in general, but you can set your Facebook preferences not to allow anyone to tag you in case someone in the future doesn't know how you feel about this issue.

I know the standard response is to not allow yourself to be tagged. But just because you're not tagged doesn't mean the image goes away. The image of you is still seen by any friends of yours that you have in common with the poster.

HannahGrace

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 08:59:28 AM »

I know the standard response is to not allow yourself to be tagged. But just because you're not tagged doesn't mean the image goes away. The image of you is still seen by any friends of yours that you have in common with the poster.

Oh, agreed.  I was just saying that was at least something she could do to minimize the exposure. 

Saki_Fiz

« Reply #13 on: Today at 11:54:23 AM »
This topic has come up before. My opinion is that no one has the right to put a picture of me on Facebook (or other social media) without my express permission. My image=my decision, full stop, no exceptions.

Agreed.  And I practice what I preach.  I don't post any photos without the participants approval.  I even ask my husband each time before posting a photo of the two of us.

But I'm also realistic and understand that many people don't feel the same.  So I often flat out opt out of photo opportunities or state up front that I don't want the photos on social media.  Most people seem fine with this.