News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 06, 2016, 02:07:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trying to get an EBay refund  (Read 2042 times)

weaselfrance

Trying to get an EBay refund
« on: March 19, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »
I bought a pedometer from eBay. It arrived much later than the date that it was predicted to and wasn't working when I got it. I got in touch with the seller requesting a refund and offering to return the pedometer.

I got a response asking if the package had been damaged in the post, whether the instruction book was included and how I'd used it. I think the implication of the last two questions were that I'd done something to break it. I replied there was no damage to the package when I got it, the instructions were in the box and I hadn't actually been able to use it, because ya'know it's broken. I asked again about a refund and offered to send it back.

I got a response offering me a partial refund to make up for the inconvenience.

I replied that this was unacceptable as the pedometer was 100% not working and asking why they thought I'd be happy with only a proportion of my money back. No response. Fed up by this point, I gave seller feedback on eBay outlining the situation. This has been dragging on since February.

I've just had a email from the seller offering me a full refund, if I change the feedback I've put on the site. I didn't think that was actually possible (I've only ever bought three things on eBay in my life and never had a problem before). I'm not at all happy about this. Is it worth reporting this to eBay?

The seller said he/she would send me a link to change my feedback, I'm planning on updating it to give details about this latest development to warn others. Reasonable or not?

VorFemme

• I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
Re: Trying to get an EBay refund
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 12:35:05 PM »
I bought a pedometer from eBay. It arrived much later than the date that it was predicted to and wasn't working when I got it. I got in touch with the seller requesting a refund and offering to return the pedometer.

I got a response asking if the package had been damaged in the post, whether the instruction book was included and how I'd used it. I think the implication of the last two questions were that I'd done something to break it. I replied there was no damage to the package when I got it, the instructions were in the box and I hadn't actually been able to use it, because ya'know it's broken. I asked again about a refund and offered to send it back.

I got a response offering me a partial refund to make up for the inconvenience.

I replied that this was unacceptable as the pedometer was 100% not working and asking why they thought I'd be happy with only a proportion of my money back. No response. Fed up by this point, I gave seller feedback on eBay outlining the situation. This has been dragging on since February.

I've just had a email from the seller offering me a full refund, if I change the feedback I've put on the site. I didn't think that was actually possible (I've only ever bought three things on eBay in my life and never had a problem before). I'm not at all happy about this. Is it worth reporting this to eBay?

The seller said he/she would send me a link to change my feedback, I'm planning on updating it to give details about this latest development to warn others. Reasonable or not?

Yes.

I had a laptop arrive DOA (would not power on - did nothing at all), sent an email to the seller (eta that I did try other options before jumping to a complaint), and after waiting five work days without any contact, I started a complaint with eBay.

I had contact from the seller and a return label two work days later (they made a comment about having been "closed" for a few days - but as I hadn't gotten any automatic reply emails back stating that they were "closed" - either they didn't think to set that up to reassure buyers or it was an excuse...).  At any rate, between PayPal and eBay guarantees - I got my money back and the seller got their laptop shaped brick back.

I do understand that there are bad buyers out there - look at the blizzards of special snowflakes mentioned here!  But you're not being a SS for wanting a working item.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 10:47:30 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 12:55:42 PM »
OP you should raise the issue to ebay, this person sounds really shady. They'll give you a refund on a broken item only if you write a good review for them? Yuck.

Bales

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 09:40:12 PM »
Don't change your feedback unless you have your money back.  I'm not sure of the timeframes from your post, but you only have so many days to file an "item not as described" dispute (or whatever they call it) with ebay - you should do that.  You will have to return the pedometer at your cost, I believe, but you will get your original money back. 

FauxFoodist

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 11:56:37 PM »

This sounds shady, and the seller owes you a full refund no matter what you do/don't do.  I'd report it to eBay straight away, especially since this has been going on for almost three weeks.

MrTango

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 06:36:49 PM »
At this point, I'd file a dispute with your bank/credit card company.  Let him deal with them since he clearly isn't willing to work with you.

FauxFoodist

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 08:16:13 PM »
Don't change your feedback unless you have your money back.  I'm not sure of the timeframes from your post, but you only have so many days to file an "item not as described" dispute (or whatever they call it) with ebay - you should do that.  You will have to return the pedometer at your cost, I believe, but you will get your original money back.

I'd fight having to return it at my cost, also.  The buyer shouldn't be out anything for receiving an item that's DOA; if the OP has to return the item at her cost, then she loses money and has nothing.  If the item happened to get broken in transit, it's on the seller to have shipped with insurance and get money back from the shipper for the damage (that's what happened to me when I bought something that really wasn't wrapped well that got broken in transit).

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 08:52:16 PM »
open paypal and Ebay dispute now. There is a time limit for these things.

If it didn't work out of the box, then the seller needs to take it back.
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Bees

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 07:15:58 AM »
I'm so proud of you for refusing to change your feedback and stand by the truth.
If people were allowed to blackmail their way out of an honest review the whole process for feedback would be useless.  I think ebay has already dumbed it down .
 Keep working with ebay to get your refund and don't make direct contact with the seller.

MonteCristo

• My Esty Shop
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:06:59 AM »
My dad had an issue with a car he bought on EBAY being nothing like the descriptions, plus the customer service being downright horrible.  So he gave them a bad review.  The seller challenged it, and as part of the "Ebay dispute" process, the seller was allowed to hire someone to review the sale. Surprise, surprise, that company sided with the people that hired them, and the review was removed.  So I wouldn't have too high hopes of the ebay dispute fixing anything.

VorFemme

• I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 09:48:13 AM »
I bought a computer & an ereader about two months ago - I think that I may have mentioned both here, possibly without being too specific.

The computer was DOA out of the three boxes (no bubble wrap) that the seller had jammed it into - I escalated to eBay and got my money back & a prepaid shipping label, even though the auction was listed as "no returns".

The reader worked when it came in, worked after updating over the USB cable connection to the computer, but updated again the next morning over wireless, and bricked itself - I'm out roughly $20 as a reminder that the particular make & model (Kobo 2gb with a control pad in the lower right hand corner - several different numbers in various colors) has to be kept off the wireless as it will immediately install an update and brick itself (that was the second one, it had just been long enough that I hadn't recognized it as the same one until I went into my eBay purchase history). 

I ended up deciding that it wasn't the seller's fault...so I didn't file with eBay.  But I have debated what to say if I get asked to review that particular device.

I got several months use out of the first one, so it was not a complete loss - the second one, I got to read for about 45 minutes before going to sleep after setting it up - but I've made a note not to buy any more Kobo with a square rubbery control pad in the lower right hand corner...as they aren't worth the trouble, much less the money.   I just hope that I remember to check my notes when in pursuit of a "bargain"...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?