News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 23, 2017, 04:43:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Religious "chain letters" on facebook  (Read 1211 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: Religious "chain letters" on facebook
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 12:59:26 PM »
I agree with PPs and also add that I strongly dislike antying that has "like and share if...." in it.  I'll like and Share if I like it, thanks.  I don't need instructions.  I got it.

This.  Exactly this.

Exactly this, Again.   The minute I see 'like and share if...' I move on.  Don't care what it's about. Don't want to know. 

Zizi-K

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 01:19:54 PM »
Eh. You post it on Facebook, you open yourself up to comments. Just because it is of a religious nature does not make it immune to comment, dissenting or otherwise. I don't think what the posters posted was rude at all. This is especially the case because the original post was an "ask". No, it was not addressed to anyone in particular, but they can feel like that so I can see why someone would feel compelled to respond why they would not do the thing being asked of them.

mime

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 01:31:56 PM »
I'll start with a disclaimer that I am not a religious believer.  I detest all those FB posts that urge you to copy and paste to prove you care about an issue or cause or people affected by a disease. It's emotional blackmail to demand a particular action as proof of virtue. Doing the same in the context of religious belief is just as bad. A person's faith and how they choose to express it are personal and other people don't get to set tests and call those who don't comply ashamed of their faith.

I AM a religious believer, and I detest those FB posts! My stability in my faith and my status in my religion do not depend on whether or not I share, like, etc., a post about said religion.

Amen... or uh, POD to this. It's where I stand as well.

LadyL

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 01:52:39 PM »
the commenter was responding to the original poster's unprovoked criticism of the beliefs and integrity of those like the commenter, who believe in [Diety] but do not choose to express that via chain letters.

If someone chooses to "express their beliefs" by attacking those who do not choose the same form of expression, then IMO that person has waived the right to expect tolerance for that particular expression from those whom they are criticizing (or from others speaking up in defense of the criticized parties).

The first commenter wasn't proclaiming their faith publicly out of the blue. They were communicating to the original poster (and others who may have been considering sharing it) that the assertion they were making in this post was untrue and was (likely unintentionally) insulting or hurtful to many of their fellow believers, so they could make an informed decision of whether this was a message they wanted to send. They were providing reassurance to anyone feeling pressured by the post that their choice not to share was valid and that they would not be judged (at least not by people like the commenter) for ignoring such requests. And they were willing to offer up their own beliefs to back this message up, knowing that it opened them up to criticism from anyone who took issue with either the form or the content of their message (like the second commenter). IMO, standing up against someone bashing others' beliefs (whether thoughtlessly or maliciously) is demonstrating their beliefs by how they treat people.

Thank you for hitting the nail on the head about what I found icky about the post! "Coercive" is a good way to describe it (thanks Kiwipinball). I didn't include the full details of the post but it also included criticism of non-believers, basically saying that it's better to believe and be wrong in the end than not believe and not get into heaven, casting nonbelievers as foolish and arrogant. That sort of thing gets my hackles up because it portrays spirituality as a choice where it's better to "fake it and hope you make it" than to opt out. For me opting out is the choice with more integrity - pretending to believe in something as important to people as a religion/Diety in the hopes of "winning a ticket to Heaven" seems really wrong. I personally believe that if I live life as a good person, if there does turn out to be a Diety, they would prefer to admit someone like me to heaven than a believer who did not act according to the tenets of their actual faith. I certainly don't think a Diety is going to pull up my facebook page and base it on that!

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 06:37:25 PM »
Lately, I have been receiving these copy and paste FB messages about cancer.  "If you know someone who is suffering or has suffered cancer," "copy and paste for one hour," "I know most of my friends will not follow these directions." 

Well, in 2015, I had cancer, and in 2015, my mother died from it.  And these posts infuriate me.  They are meaningless.  I would far, far prefer a poorly worded real message than these generic things that try to shame people.

Just because the underlying theme of these messages may be worthwhile (fight cancer, religion, etc.), I am repelled by the generic meaninglessness of copying and posting.  If I really want to impact how people look at a subject, the least I can do is speak from the heart.

Sorry I flared.  (Puts away soapbox).
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

katycoo

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2017, 03:48:07 AM »
I ignore any posts that ask you to copy and paste to your page.

Yep, me too.  Even when I generally support the intention or the cause.  Just no - not for me.  I hate the guilt-inducing vibe they give off.

malfoyfan13

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 06:57:55 PM »
POD what Merryns said.

I'm an atheist and I ignore religious stuff on FB, sometimes to the point of unfollowing those who constantly post about religion.  I also just ignore ALL chain letters anyway, because I dislike people trying to tell me to "Prove" something by re-posting whatever they're talking about.