News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 26, 2016, 07:39:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Who have you blocked on FB, and why?  (Read 8085 times)

DanaJ

Re: S/O Who have you blocked on FB, and why?
« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2016, 12:41:33 PM »
Several total strangers who were kind enough to tell me that my profile photo was "astounding fugly" or that I was a "[bleep]ing dog", "ugly butch dyke" or that I look like I have Down's Syndrome. I changed my profile photo to a cat.

What. The. @%$*&#?

What the hairy heck is the matter with people?!  I'm so sorry you somehow caught the attention of total whackadoodle nincompoops.

SleepIsabella

« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2016, 07:47:01 PM »
I've only had to mass block a bunch of Facebook users spamming the live chat on the Ghost Hunters special Halloween live episode website some years back.

JoW

« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2016, 10:08:31 PM »
I don't really understand why you'd block your niece just because of the age difference - there usually is one between most people and their sibling's children.  She's trying to make contact with her aunt (uncle?).  Blocking her on Facebook has the same impact to her as sending back physical letters unopened and blocking phone calls did on prior generations.
I've never met my niece.  We live about 1500 miles apart.  She and her parents are on very good terms with my mother. 

maksi

« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2016, 03:38:37 AM »
I don't really understand why you'd block your niece just because of the age difference - there usually is one between most people and their sibling's children.  She's trying to make contact with her aunt (uncle?).  Blocking her on Facebook has the same impact to her as sending back physical letters unopened and blocking phone calls did on prior generations.
I've never met my niece.  We live about 1500 miles apart.  She and her parents are on very good terms with my mother.

I think not friending her sounds perfectly reasonable - it's the blocking that feels very extreme.

JoW

« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2016, 10:17:03 PM »
I think not friending her sounds perfectly reasonable - it's the blocking that feels very extreme.
I say things on Facebook to my Facebook friends that I'd rather my mother did not hear or see. 

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2016, 01:13:33 AM »
I say things on Facebook to my Facebook friends that I'd rather my mother did not hear or see.

That can still be achieved by just not friending her, if your security settings are set up right.

Besides, that wasn't what you said first, you said you blocked her because "a 50+ year old woman has no business being facebook friends with a teenage girl she has never met" and not only do some of us not agree with that statement, we also think it's an extreme reason for blocking instead of just not friending.

Of course, if she was spamming you with friend requests and PMs then that's a completely different kettle of fish, and blocking would be conpletely warranted - but then I assume you'd have mentioned that.

(But this is not to say I think you're wrong to block her - people can block whoever they want for whatever reasons they want :) )

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2016, 03:14:48 AM »

I think it goes to show how differently everybody uses Facebook!    I never post anything I wouldn't be comfortable seeing printed on the front page of tomorrow's paper and attributed to me.    :)       Whereas I do have some friends who use it to push different agendas etc or have very different online personas to how they are in everyday life. 

For me it's more of a family album and place to connect with my very large extended family, who we don't live near to, and makes it easier to catch up when we do go home for visits.   So to me connecting with a niece I had never met online would make sense - it would be a way to connect despite the distance.   But for somebody who uses it differently to that I can see how it wouldn't make sense and why blocking would be used as a way to avoid unwanted friend requests.   
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

MyFamily

« Reply #127 on: Yesterday at 04:22:19 PM »
I have two people blocked.

One is my toxic, horrible, Queen Bee co-worker.  As a rule, I don't friend my current coworkers on FB (I'm friends with coworkers from my former job, and if I still worked there, I'd probably friend them, but it was a friendlier environment), but this one is someone that our lives overlap a lot outside of work, and I know we have many mutual friends.  I want to have as little to do with her as possible, and blocking her makes my life minimally easier.

The other is someone who was offended when I told her she had to follow the rules of the group that I am an admin for.  We are a support group tied together by a common medical issue, but we are very clear that we are not allowed to give medical advice and that anything that is posted that could be construed as medical advice will be deleted.  She was convinced it was because she is into natural alternatives, but the owner of the group uses some natural alternatives and likes them, but she also doesn't want anything like that on this group.  This poster got a little too aggressive with me, ended up banned from the group completely (with the agreement of the owner and all of the group admins) and I blocked her.  It has been long enough that I could probably unblock her again.

I do unfollow some friends.  For many, it is like others have said - politics!  In one case, though, it is a friend who loves to post food pictures and make comments like 'NOM! NOM!' (I really dislike that phrase).  I like her, in short doses, so I just don't follow her and when I know I'm going to see her, I'll pop onto her page, catch up on her posts quickly, and maybe even like one or two of the most recent ones (she also posts about 10 times a day), and she really doesn't seem to realize that I'm not following her.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol