News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 30, 2015, 11:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Put this in your status..." Explain why I won't?  (Read 688 times)

veryfluffy

"Put this in your status..." Explain why I won't?
« on: Yesterday at 04:33:02 PM »
I just had a PM on FB about the latest cryptic awareness thing -- think colour of underwear or whatever it was last time. So all us ladies are being asked/told to update our status according to a certain formula, and it will get everyone talking and raise awareness about this issue.

I'm not going to do it.

I never participate in these FB campaigns to get likes, or "share if you agree" , etc. unless it is a real protest to get something changed or removed (eg animal cruelty). I don't really believe that liking something on FB is going to make a blind bit of difference in most cases, and I resent the sort of bullying that is often implied.

My question is, should I reply to the PM and say I won't be doing it? Or just ignore the message?

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: "Put this in your status..." Explain why I won't?
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:35:26 PM »
You're fine either way, as long as you're polite in your response.  It's not something you have to RSVP to, so there's nothing wrong with just not responding. But really, if people want to try to disguise spam as activism, they can't complain when people decline. I hate those things!!

Kiwipinball

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:41:55 PM »
I think people usually send these out to a ton of people. If it seems like a really personal message or they follow it up with more questions, you might want to reply, but I doubt they'll notice.

CaffeineKatie

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:29:17 PM »
I don't respond to things like this on FB.  I have noticed, in my experience, these messages tend to come from my FB friends who have hundreds (as in 700+!) "friends" and so I don't take them seriously as a communication to me.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 07:22:39 PM »
I just ignore things like this. There's never been any negative repercussions from doing so.

crella

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 07:32:50 PM »
If it's a PM, I usually write something like 'I'm sorry, I don't wish to participate'.  If it's on my timeline, I just leave it alone.

Owly

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 07:35:32 PM »
In my experience, people are just posting these because they felt guilt tripped into it, and never actually notice whether anyone else does it or not. I think you're fine to ignore it, they're not really expecting a response.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:03:10 PM »
I did one time ask what purpose it served, especially since nobody knew what it meant. Kinda backwards for "consciousness-raising", I thought.

That didn't really accomplish anything, so now I just ignore them.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:36:18 AM »

If it were on someone else's feed, I would ignore it.

If someone specifically posted it to my wall, I'd probably respond along the lines of "Why does this have anything to do with X?"

If someone were bugging me to do it after posting, I'd directly say that I think these sorts of posts are completely pointless and annoying.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:23:23 AM »
I just ignore. Less energy and time wasted that way.

Now, if they PM you again or keep PMing you about it, I would reply politely the first time with brief reasons why I won't participate. And if they PMed me yet again about it trying to convince me, they would receive a reply like "Please, stop PMing me with things like this."

Margo

« Reply #10 on: Today at 03:37:11 AM »
I'd ignore it.

If the person then follows up by sending you another PM then I would respond at that point saying that I don't do chain letters, but I would not respond to the initial message as I would asusume that they are just sending out a blanket message to their friends, I would not see it as a personal message to me.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #11 on: Today at 05:15:49 AM »
I just had a PM on FB about the latest cryptic awareness thing -- think colour of underwear or whatever it was last time. So all us ladies are being asked/told to update our status according to a certain formula, and it will get everyone talking and raise awareness about this issue.

I'm not going to do it.

I never participate in these FB campaigns to get likes, or "share if you agree" , etc. unless it is a real protest to get something changed or removed (eg animal cruelty). I don't really believe that liking something on FB is going to make a blind bit of difference in most cases, and I resent the sort of bullying that is often implied.

My question is, should I reply to the PM and say I won't be doing it? Or just ignore the message?
I had a PM telling me what I had to do (put xyz in your status to raise awareness of weasel attacks, or whatever it was), I just ignored it.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

spookycatlady

« Reply #12 on: Today at 07:47:26 AM »
I've struggled with the same question... I don't do it and I don't comment on it.  If someone were to ask why I didn't participate-- I have a  pre-emptive strike, "Because I'm a party pooper with no sense of humour.  But seriously?  I just don't like doing those things."

miranova

« Reply #13 on: Today at 09:24:06 AM »
I ignore those completely.  Especially the one where "you commented on this status so now you have to post one of the following ridiculous things yourself!"  No, no I don't have to do anything. 

I just pretend I never saw the message.  Nobody has ever pushed it.