Author Topic: Politer way to say "who are you?"  (Read 650 times)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
Politer way to say "who are you?"
« on: Yesterday at 12:05:12 PM »
I just got a random FB message from someone I don't know at all, that said nothing other than "Good day".

I replied "Hello? Do I know you?".

Is that a bit rude? Is there a better way to ask "Who in flaming heck are you, mysterious stranger?"
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

auntmeegs

Re: Politer way to say "who are you?"
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:08:14 PM »
I think the way you asked was perfectly polite and appropriate. 

Zizi-K

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:12:02 PM »
Alternatively, "sorry do we know each other?" But what you wrote is excellent as well.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 01:23:24 PM »
Got a supremely uninformative reply back of "Email me back at <email address>"

Yeah, scammer. Blocked.

I googled the email address and it's already listed as being for a known 419 scammer. I emailed the person listed as our mutual friend on FB and told him that if he did know the person, he should tell her she's been hacked. If he doesn't know the person, he should defriend her because it's a scammer's account.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:35:07 PM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 02:00:38 PM »
In the past, I've said, "Hi, sorry, who is this?" So far it's always been someone I actually did know and I just didn't have their number in my phone or whatever.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:23:16 PM »
There's always the perfectly polite "I'm sorry, I'm drawing a blank on where/when we met?" or "I can't place your name...?"

These work fairly well unless it's your cousin at her step-dad's funeral...third marriage, I didn't recognize the last name...

Fortunately, she laughed & understood because it has been over twenty years since we saw each other much (I married a military man and she still was still in her twenties back then)!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

poundcake

« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:32:33 AM »
This is why I don't ever respond to emails that are little more than "Hi there!" or "Good morning." Always a scammer. Always.

But if you're a person who forgets names/faces or is just drawing a blank, like I do sometimes, in person I usually say "Forgive me, refresh my memory?" In email? I Google!

Curly Wurly Doggie Breath

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:45:47 AM »
Got a supremely uninformative reply back of "Email me back at <email address>"

Yeah, scammer. Blocked.

I googled the email address and it's already listed as being for a known 419 scammer. I emailed the person listed as our mutual friend on FB and told him that if he did know the person, he should tell her she's been hacked. If he doesn't know the person, he should defriend her because it's a scammer's account.

:( Yeh, I get a few of those and I think by this weeks count, they are doing the rounds again

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

MrTango

« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:59:48 AM »
To be honest, I don't think "Who are you?" is rude in this case.  They contacted you and failed to identify themselves.

veronaz

« Reply #9 on: Today at 09:15:41 AM »
A "Good day" on FB from a stranger is meaningless.  Since the other person initiated the contact and didn't identify themselves or say why they're contacting you, I'd delete, block, and forget it.  I wouldn't waste anymore time on it.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: Today at 10:07:05 AM »
This is why I don't ever respond to emails that are little more than "Hi there!" or "Good morning." Always a scammer. Always.

Definite pod there. Real people say what they want in the first message, even if it's just "wanted to drop you a note to see how things are going."
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: Today at 03:10:38 PM »
A "Good day" on FB from a stranger is meaningless.  Since the other person initiated the contact and didn't identify themselves or say why they're contacting you, I'd delete, block, and forget it.  I wouldn't waste anymore time on it.
exactly.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools