News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 28, 2017, 02:12:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Texting at night  (Read 204 times)

JoieGirl7

Texting at night
« on: Yesterday at 04:39:11 PM »
I've become so accustomed to texting being like emails or FB messaging that I didn't think when I returned a text to a friend at 1 am.

Today, I got the message:
"I promise not to text you before 9 in the morning if you promise not to text me after 1 am."

I'm sorry I disturbed her.  It occurred to me after seeing the time stamp on her text that maybe I shouldn't have. I was responding to a message she had sent me hours earlier but had only seen in that moment...  I think I thought that she had just sent it to me.

She could literally text me anytime of day or night.  It's never going to interrupt me because I control my notifications so that no one can disturb me if I don't want to be disturbed.  And apparently, because I forget to turn notifications back on I don't get these instant messages until hours later and then I just hit reply.  :/

So, how bad was this?

MorgnsGrl

Re: Texting at night
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 04:43:58 PM »
I would say "not too bad." Just make a mental note to be cautious when texting her in the future. I personally shut off notifications when I go to bed, and if I forgot one night and someone texted me, I would figure it was my fault, not theirs. In general I try to have a policy not to text anyone after 10 pm-ish or before 8-ish unless I know they are a night owl or shut off their phones while they're sleeping.

lakey

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 04:47:24 PM »
I would simply apologize and let it go. Something like, "Oops, sorry, I wasn't thinking."

My phone makes a noise when I receive a text, and I keep the phone near my bed at night. So a text at 1 AM would wake me up. However, you didn't do anything terrible. What she said to you was pretty lighthearted.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 04:55:20 PM »
I'd mark it under "Whoops," and do my level best not to do it again.

I started muting my phone at night because I had friends who habitually texted or called at 1 or 2am and it drove me up the wall that no matter how many times I told them not to, they still did it.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Hmmmmm

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 05:29:41 PM »
I do try to think of texting as calling and if I wouldn't call, I won't text before or after a certain time. But I have other friends who think of texting like email so they don't follow the same rules so I control my notifications.

But even I've had a brain blip and once woke up at 5am, realized I had a text from my housekeeper that I hadn't seen the night before and sent a response. When she responded back about 30 min later with a "wow, you do get up early" and felt bad and hoped I hadn't awoken her.

All that to say, just apologize with a "oops sorry, wasn't thinking" and let it go.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:07:27 PM »
That happened to me a few times when texting became popular. It never occurred to me to say anything to the senders. I just realized that I need to be in control of my own device. Now I have it set on silent at night and there is no issue.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Mommyoops

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 08:45:43 PM »
I simply turn off notifications when I go to bed. If a friend asked me to refrain from sending messages after hours I would do my best to remember and honor that.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 11:15:16 PM »
That's why you can set your phone to silent.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:57:37 AM »
The other thing you can do, if you have a smartphone is set up a "quiet time" period on your phone where all calls and text messages don't wake you up during that period.

Captains Flat, Australia