News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• April 18, 2015, 03:36:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: is this rude?  (Read 995 times)

songbird

is this rude?
« on: April 15, 2015, 04:50:38 PM »
A friend of mine posted something today that I felt was a bit rude. 

My friend does not like political posts.  She has friends who are very politically active, on the right and on the left, and doesn't want to read anything from either side.    She's not unfriending anyone, but she's deleting certain people from her newsfeed.

I don't have a problem with her doing this, she can read or ignore whatever she wants.

I do think it was a bit rude, however, to make a big announcement on her wall that she's deleting folks form her newsfeed.

Cali.in.UK

Re: is this rude?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 06:37:23 PM »
I think you can just roll your eyes about it and get on with the day. I notice people writing dramatic, inappropriate and annoying things on facebook regularly and just shake my head.

mandycorn

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »
I don't know if it's rude exactly, but it definitely seems to be attention-seeking or asking for drama or something. But, if it were me, I wouldn't say anything about it to her, just roll my eyes (and post here ;) )
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 06:28:35 PM »
I feel like it's less Rude and more Bad Form, or Etiquette Violation.

Bad Form is an etiquette issue just as much as stuff that's "so rude!"

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 07:10:44 PM »
I think it is a little PA.

The only person I've informed I was unfollowing a person is my Sister. The person is one of our cousins who posts all about illegal substances. I'm a teacher in the bible belt. He has a history of depression. If he goes completely off the rails to the point we are trying to locate him and make sure he is safe sis knows to contact me and I'll help.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 07:19:34 PM »
More than anything I find it a bit absurd. Going on fb and objecting to the fact that people post political things is like object to pictures of people's kids or pets.

squeakers

« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:43:20 AM »
The funny thing about announcing you are deleting people for doing "X" is those people will not get to see that announcement because.. they were deleted. 

So unless you (general you) are not actually deleting them but rather are just trying to force people to post the way you want them to it's kind of a dumb thing to post.  And good luck on getting people to change their posting habits LOL

But if you are just a garden variety Drama Llama then any resulting actions to that status will feed you for hours or maybe days  >:D
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

songbird

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:37:33 PM »
And I won't be feeding the drama llama.

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 09:21:11 PM »
The funny thing about announcing you are deleting people for doing "X" is those people will not get to see that announcement because.. they were deleted. 

I don't think that's actually the case here.  From the OP it sounds like they weren't deleted at all, just that their posts were hidden because they got overwhelmingly political.  I do this a lot -- when I'm not comfortable seeing 5 political posts a day, I hide the posts, but remain Facebook friends.

And I won't be feeding the drama llama.

What makes her a drama llama for blocking overly political posts?  That seems pretty reasonable to me.  Not everyone wants their Facebook news feed filled with that stuff every day.