News:

• April 24, 2018, 12:42:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hey, Dad, I love you, but could you stop commenting on my business page?  (Read 181 times)

Sebastienne

My husband and I are small business owners, and we've just opened to the public, which has been a wonderful combination of exhausting and exhilirating. Our families, obviously, are very invested in our success--emotionally, not financially--and have been following our progress very closely, both in person and via social media. They're incredibly supportive (again, emotionally), and incredibly proud of us.

The slightly awkward problem we have, though, is that both sets of parents like to comment on our business facebook page in a way that's...not entirely professional. We have several thousand followers from around the world already, and we've been very upfront about our progress throughout our buildout and opening. A few weeks ago, I posted a picture of the decal we'd put on our front door, hinting that we were about to open. Since it's a glass door, my reflection was partly visible (as was my dog's). There were quite a few enthusiastic comments from customers about our future opening date, but my MIL's comment was something like, "I loove [Dog]'s haircut! What a cutie! Did you go to the same place as last time?" That would have been fine if it were on my personal page, but not so much on the business's.

Similarly, when we first added an awning above the front door, my dad's comment was, "That looks quite professional." That's because we paid a professional to make it! Again, it's not something he would post to a local restaurant's social media, but there's a level of casualness that, I assume, comes with the fact that I'm his kid.

We appreciate their support so, so much! But all of our parents have commented with similar tones on various posts. While it doesn't hurt anything, it doesn't set the professional tone we're trying to create with our social media presence. How do I (kindly, gently) address this?

gramma dishes

...   We appreciate their support so, so much! But all of our parents have commented with similar tones on various posts. While it doesn't hurt anything, it doesn't set the professional tone we're trying to create with our social media presence. How do I (kindly, gently) address this?

Tell them just like this. ^^^ Tell them that you love their support, but you'd cherish personal comments on your non-professional social page, not your professional one. 

Their comments do detract from the professional look and feel of your page and may actually hurt your business by giving clients/customers the idea that your parents are heavily involved and coddling you as children rather than respecting you as adults running your own business.

Bales

I don't think that sounds too terrible, and if I were your customer, I probably wouldn't even read long enough to realize it was a relative - or if I did, it definitely wouldn't make me think less of you as a business owner.  Some of the best town businesses have long family histories where I live.

I think a gentle request that they keep those comments on your personal page or express it through private messaging is fine.  Explaining you want to keep your personal and professional spheres somewhat separate is certainly valid.  And if something is really out of place, just delete it.

TootsNYC

Can you set Facebook so that they can't post on your page, or so that you have to approve it?

Of course, you might need to have a conversation first, and maybe you can soften it by saying you're going to set it that way for everybody.