Author Topic: a study on relationshipsin an online community - Update: done!  (Read 5100 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
a study on relationshipsin an online community - Update: done!
« on: October 21, 2010, 01:25:25 PM »
Would you like to participate in a study on relationships in an online community?

I seek about 100 participants for a brief online survey concerning Ehell, as an example of an established community. This research is part of my masterís work at the University of Texas at Dallasís Emerging Media and Communications program. All replies will be anonymous and confidential. The results will be made available to participants in December.

Participants must be at least 18 years old. The study is being done under the supervision of my professor and the approval of UTDís Institutional Review Board. EhellDame has also given permission for this study.

If you are interested, please send me a private message. Do not post a public reply, in order to maintain anonymity.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:22:34 PM by Ms_Cellany »
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
Re: a study on relationshipsin an online community - Update: done!
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »
Update: the study is done!  Here it is as I submitted it to the professor for my final grade (an A!)

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to create a survey that could mathematically measure my initial question - how do face-to-face meetings affect a person's sense of connection to a forum?  But I was able to study what plays a role in deciding whether to meet face-to-face.

The paper is here.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 05:30:26 PM »
Congratulations!

I just finished reading. It is very interesting and well written - a well deserved grade.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 05:37:13 PM by lady_disdain »

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »
Congrats!

Julia S

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 02:34:24 PM »
Well done! :D

Would you mind if I shared this with an anthropologist friend of mine? He has done some research on online communities in the past and I'd like to discuss it with him. :)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:37:51 PM »
Sure - It's not a spectacular piece of work; as I got into the analysis, I saw so many ways I could've improved the basic construction of the survey, but it's a good launching point for discussion.

But I sure learned a lot from doing it, and ain't that the point?  ;D

Julia S

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 02:57:34 PM »
Sure - It's not a spectacular piece of work; as I got into the analysis, I saw so many ways I could've improved the basic construction of the survey, but it's a good launching point for discussion.

But I sure learned a lot from doing it, and ain't that the point?  ;D

Indeed! And thanks! :D

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 07:13:25 AM »
I was thinking about your work last time and a question came up. Considering your findings on seniority, how do you think your own status as a hero member and an active member of the community might have affected the willingness of the board members to participate in your survey and might that have introduced a bias?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:59:11 AM »
I discussed that with the professor, and she said it was a bias she was willing to live with in this case. An Ehellion had said, before I started the study, that if I'd been a stranger and just come on and said "hey, I'd like to study y'all," she wouldn't have participated. Prof said that in some cases you have to have earned your chops in a group to have their trust and lure them have them willing do a study.

think2x

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »
Congratulations!

I am wondering how the income level of the participants factored into your findings.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 06:40:27 PM »
I discussed that with the professor, and she said it was a bias she was willing to live with in this case. An Ehellion had said, before I started the study, that if I'd been a stranger and just come on and said "hey, I'd like to study y'all," she wouldn't have participated. Prof said that in some cases you have to have earned your chops in a group to have their trust and lure them have them willing do a study.

That is what I imagined, actually.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 06:42:23 PM »
Congratulations!

I am wondering how the income level of the participants factored into your findings.

Too many variables; overwhelmed me during the actual analysis. She didn't teach us much about statistics, so if it wasn't a simple Chi-squared or t-test, it was over our level.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 03:55:43 AM »
I really enjoyed reading your report, it was very well done.

I am curious as to whether you decided upfront that you would be restricting your sample to U.S. participants, or whether you were hoping to obtain a broader sample but didn't receive enough responses.   Because obviously if I'd known that you weren't going to use any results from non-U.S. resident I wouldn't have taken the time to participate.

Good research though!
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

GoldenGemini

• One of these days, Alice....
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 05:10:34 AM »
I really enjoyed reading your report, it was very well done.

I am curious as to whether you decided upfront that you would be restricting your sample to U.S. participants, or whether you were hoping to obtain a broader sample but didn't receive enough responses.   Because obviously if I'd known that you weren't going to use any results from non-U.S. resident I wouldn't have taken the time to participate.

Good research though!

Same here.  Interesting report anyway! Thanks for showing us your work!

Consistency
It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup   - Demotivators(R)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 10:08:39 AM »
I apologize to the non-US folks who responded and took the time to do the survey. I ended up omitting them from the analysis for a variety of reasons including:

International respondents were so scattered worldwide that you didn't tend to go to meet-ups.
It made more sense, statistically, to have a uniform sample.
etc.

...if I were to do it again, I'd solicit for only US participants.