Author Topic: Hiring a handyman to help move furniture?  (Read 12667 times)

Mini

Hiring a handyman to help move furniture?
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:18:53 AM »
This may be a stupid question, but who can I hire to help me move furniture around in my house?  Can I hire a handyman that advertises doing fix-up work?   

I have asked around and can not find a single person that can help me.  My fil can't, he has a bad back, my son has a bad hernia that if it pops out will put him flat on his back for at least a week, making him miss work. (and he has no insurance)  Don't know of anybody that has young strong teenage boys, and the 2  strong young men I know are always too busy to help. 

Any ideas?
My Mantra for the month:
When bored and suffering from insomnia stay away from eBay stay away from eBay stay away from eBay.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: Hiring a handyman to help move furniture?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:22:03 AM »
A handyman might- there's no harm in asking. Try someone who advertises as "No job too small"
NE England

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:22:27 AM »
You can call your local labor force and hire someone through them.  They are licensed and bonded.

Friends of mine moved a few weeks ago and needed another strong back, and got a young man to come out for 4 hours.  Cost them $100.

Mini

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:25:48 AM »
Shoo, I don't even know what a local labor force is, and if we have one here? 

I do need some minor repair work done, window fixed and bathroom ceiling painted, I guess I could always call and ask about that, then ask how much they would charge to help move the furniture.   This is one of those times I wish I didn't live so durn far out from everybody in the city.
My Mantra for the month:
When bored and suffering from insomnia stay away from eBay stay away from eBay stay away from eBay.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:28:41 AM »
If you know a local handyman, you can definitely hire him to move your furniture and any other needed repairs.  I think "handyman" is a term for "whatever you need done."  :)

Mini

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:34:46 AM »
I think you're right.  I just hope they won't charge an arm and a leg.  Don't have any of those to spare! 
My Mantra for the month:

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 10:38:33 AM »
Also check out craigslist.  You can see if anybody has posted a "work" ad, or you can post your own wanted ad.

I'm assuming you're a woman living alone, so this might not work for you.  But my dad does a lot of work with the homeless, and whenever he needs to hire somebody to do light manual labor, he asks them first, because he knows how eager most are for good work.  In his case since he's involved with a food kitchen, he knows exactly who to ask, who is responsible and hard-working.  He says that if he was in a new place, though, he'd ask the manager of a shelter or food kitchen, because they're familiar with the people and who would be a good choice.

However, if you'd be alone in the house and don't want a non-professional alone there with you, then both of these ideas may not work well.

Spoder

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 10:52:37 AM »
When you first make contact, it's probably a good idea to make sure they know that the job involves moving furniture, and let them know if it's heavy.

The two guys that turned up to paint my bathroom recently were about 65 and quite, er, wizened. I can't imagine either of them on the other end of a heavy sideboard!

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »
Call around and ask. You'll find someone willing to do the heavy lifting.

You could also call a local moving company. The company that moved me last time advertises that they move pianos from one spot to another in your home. I was curious and asked them and they will send two people to your home for $75 an hour and move all the furniture you want. That might be more than you want to spend, but if you have any valuable pieces or need anything carried up or down stairs, movers usually know the best way to this, and have the appropriate padding to protect the furniture and straps and dollies and things to help make lifting it easier and safer.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

NestHolder

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 11:14:36 AM »
I've hired someone to help—we had a big television that needed to come downstairs, and we wanted to swap the then-upstairs sofa for the sofabed that was downstairs.  We called a removals company and hired two burly chaps for a couple of hours.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »
This may be a stupid question, but who can I hire to help me move furniture around in my house?  Can I hire a handyman that advertises doing fix-up work?   

I have asked around and can not find a single person that can help me.  My fil can't, he has a bad back, my son has a bad hernia that if it pops out will put him flat on his back for at least a week, making him miss work. (and he has no insurance)  Don't know of anybody that has young strong teenage boys, and the 2  strong young men I know are always too busy to help. 

Any ideas?

If it's all going to be on the same level, have you considered these?

http://www.businessfurnitureshop.com/furniture_movers.htm

Otherwise try the local shopping news classified ads.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 11:19:39 AM »
When you first make contact, it's probably a good idea to make sure they know that the job involves moving furniture, and let them know if it's heavy.

The two guys that turned up to paint my bathroom recently were about 65 and quite, er, wizened. I can't imagine either of them on the other end of a heavy sideboard!

I wish I had video of my then 80 something year old grandpa pushing my sister's stalled car down the street to our house.

Mini

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 01:02:01 PM »
MommyPenguin, yes I live alone.  My son has been staying with me since my hubby died but I wouldn't call what he's doing living here.  More like, staying at mom's place while working and playing with friends. <grin>  I'm trying to stay away from craigslist and the like, I've heard way to many horror stories to be comfortable dealing with anybody that may respond.

Carnation, I have some sliders but physically can't do the moving myself.  I have one tv cabinet that would have to be picked up to put the sliders underneath and I can't do that.  I have arthritis in both knees and hips, both hands and my neck, a bad back and the beginnings of osteoporosis. That's why I need help.

I have a number, I'll give them a call Monday and ask.  What's the worst, they turn me down, right? 

Thanks all.
My Mantra for the month:

oogyda

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 01:10:14 PM »
U-Haul often has a number of people they can recommend for helping to move furniture.  It varies by location, but start with their website.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Kaypeep

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 01:22:54 PM »
Do you know anyone with college-age sons?   Usually you can get some strong young men to do that. My mom's friends used to call to get my brother to help with that sort of thing when we were younger.