News:

• April 19, 2018, 07:41:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: People with boy relatives 10-12 y.o.  (Read 4599 times)

caroljones

People with boy relatives 10-12 y.o.
« on: October 24, 2010, 08:54:19 AM »
I'm looking for advice from people with sons or relatives in the tween years. I'm considering getting a gift for a boy who is about 11 or 12 years old. The package says from 7 up and Amazon says recommended for ages 7-15. Do you think your sons or nephews would like the Lego walkie talkies? I'm wondering if a boy of that age might think they look too childish.

Thanks

CherryRipe

Re: People with boy relatives 10-12 y.o.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »
Does he have an iPod?  If so, I'd get him an iTunes gift card. They're versatile (because they allow the recipient to choose exactly what music or apps he or she may want), they're easy to wrap, they don't require parental transportation to the store/mall, and they're definitely not "childish" in any way.  Also, you can pretty much spend as much or as little as you want on one, because they come in a variety of denominations. 

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:08:08 AM »
I think it depends on the child. My nephews (ages 9 and 11) love Lego, and would jump at this kind of gift. Some kids aren't into Lego and therefore wouldn't go for it as much.

There are other kinds of kids' walkie talkies available, if that is what you think they would like. There are also lots of 'spy'-type gadgets that tween boys like, or laser tag guns.

Good luck!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

jillybean

• Rise and whine
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »
My son is 11, soon to be 12, and I think the Lego look would be a turn-off for him.  I agree with blue2000 that if you want to go for walkie talkies, maybe get something more generic.
Texas

sweetgirl

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 10:24:20 AM »
I think you need to go with your gut. If you are having any doubt,then dont buy them. I went to my cousins 10th birthday a few months back and the present we gave him got no interest at all. We had ummed and ahhed and I found some spy toys and instantly wanted to get it for him. My husband picked up this exercise gaming thing and raved about it so much that we went with that. Even though I wasnt sure. My thought was boy knows boy. But...I shoulda gone with the mummy gut instinct and the fact that I've got more experience around kids than him.

caroljones

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 10:43:02 AM »
My son is 11, soon to be 12, and I think the Lego look would be a turn-off for him.  I agree with blue2000 that if you want to go for walkie talkies, maybe get something more generic.

Thanks, everyone.

Based upon your sage advice I have decided to get him some more generic wrist watch walkie talkies and a personalized dog tag - his dad is military  so I hope he will like it.

I know nothing about kids that age. I've know him since he was 5 and still think of him as a little boy though he's nearly a teenager now. I'm sure I'll be back next year asking for more gift advice!

jillybean

• Rise and whine
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 12:14:32 PM »

Based upon your sage advice I have decided to get him some more generic wrist watch walkie talkies and a personalized dog tag - his dad is military  so I hope he will like it.

Those sound like a lot of fun!  Good luck.  Even as a parent of a tween, it's hard to know what to get them sometimes, so don't feel bad.
Texas

TootsNYC

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 09:04:27 PM »
I would vote for actual Legos, a building kit of some kind, and not a Lego walkie-talkie.
All of the 10 to 12 year old boys that I personally am acquainted with are very fond of Legos.
They're intelligent enough for a youth, but still a toy.

One thing about most inexpensive kid-centered walkie-talkies: they're crummy. And kids that old will just find them frustrating because they don't work that well. Playing "pretend" is not in their repertoire anymore; they'd want to acually communicate w/ someone.
(the interesting thing is that sometimes an effective grownup version isn't actually all that much more expensive than the toy kind)

http://www.shopping.com/Midland-Midland-LXT210VP-22-Channel-GMRS-Value-Pack-with-Up-to-8-Mile-Range-with-Charger-and-Rechargeable-Ba/midland-lxt210-14-channel-2way-radio/738026/reviews#tabAnchor

caroljones

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 09:38:11 PM »
I would vote for actual Legos, a building kit of some kind, and not a Lego walkie-talkie.
All of the 10 to 12 year old boys that I personally am acquainted with are very fond of Legos.
They're intelligent enough for a youth, but still a toy.

One thing about most inexpensive kid-centered walkie-talkies: they're crummy. And kids that old will just find them frustrating because they don't work that well. Playing "pretend" is not in their repertoire anymore; they'd want to acually communicate w/ someone.
(the interesting thing is that sometimes an effective grownup version isn't actually all that much more expensive than the toy kind)

http://www.shopping.com/Midland-Midland-LXT210VP-22-Channel-GMRS-Value-Pack-with-Up-to-8-Mile-Range-with-Charger-and-Rechargeable-Ba/midland-lxt210-14-channel-2way-radio/738026/reviews#tabAnchor

The Lego walkie talkies were 34.95 and had excellent ratings from purchasers, including adults who bought them to use. I did some checking to make sure they weren't junk.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Blue-LG13000-Walkie-Talkies/dp/B002L6I9ZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1287974064&sr=8-1

I bought him the wrist watch ones that were $39.95 and had pretty good ratings.

http://www.amazon.com/Fashionable-Wristwatch-Watch--Auto-Scan--LCD-display--Auto/dp/B002AAH8NU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1287974134&sr=8-5

They're not "pretend".

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 09:34:56 AM »
My 12-year-old son loves Legos but I think would be a bit put-off by Lego walkie-talkies.  The wristwatch ones he'd probably love, though.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

MissRose

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 01:29:14 PM »
My 11 year old nephew enjoys the lego sets, and if they are Star Wars / Military related, that makes it even better for him.  Lego Walkie Talkies may be for a younger boy, not sure if he would like something like that now.

Nurvingiel

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »
I think the question should be, who wouldn't want a wrist-watch walkie-talkie? ;) I want one now and I'm 27.

My oldest nephew is nine and he'd love this. His younger brothers would too. I do not currently have a 10-12 year-old boy in my family right now though.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Pinky830

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2010, 01:41:12 PM »
My son is almost 11. He has two sets of walkie-talkies that he never uses. I'd vote for one of the Lego sets...one of the advanced ones like the Architect or Star Wars series...or a small Erector set. DS and his friends also like the Nerf Blaster guns that shoot foam pellets.

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2010, 03:18:04 PM »
My son is almost 11. He has two sets of walkie-talkies that he never uses. I'd vote for one of the Lego sets...one of the advanced ones like the Architect or Star Wars series...or a small Erector set. DS and his friends also like the Nerf Blaster guns that shoot foam pellets.

Nerf pellets are the bane of my existence.  Or at least the bane of my washing machine!   ;)
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Oneofeach

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »
My son just turned 12 and at one time was Lego-obsessed; he's very mechanical minded.  But now he seems to have outgrown the Lego phase. 
I just wanted to comment on the walkie-talkie gift idea.  Does he have someone with whom to use the WK's?  A brother or a close buddy who will wear the second unit as they run around and play games?  Does he hang out with a friend in the neighborhood - going to the park or other outdoor activities?  Otherwise, I don't imagine he'd get much use out of a gift intended for 2 people not in the same room.