Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Spinoff - host/ess gifts

(1/3) > >>

BittyB:
What is the polite way to dispose of hostess gifts like wine or flowers that you won't use, or in the case of the flowers, are allergic to?  I don't want to come off as ungracious, or unappreciative, because it always makes me really happy that someone thought of me enough to bring a hostess gift.  On the other hand, I don't want to just toss a bottle of wine. 

It seems like I'm not supposed to serve the gift wine at the dinner it was gifted at, unless someone brought it as a contribution to dinner (some of our more informal meals are like that).  Can I serve it at another time with the same guests? 

The flowers I just put on the window sill and wait for them to die.  :P

MadMadge43:
You can serve the wine with dinner at that time if you choose to. But you are not under obligation to.

But if you really aren't going to use the wine, well I'll e-mail you my address  ;D. Ok, just kidding, but I'd put it some place and pull it out to use as my own hostess gift.

As for the flowers I would put them far away from me as you can, while still in view of your guests while they're there and then toss them.

artk2002:

--- Quote from: BittyB on June 18, 2007, 10:07:11 PM ---It seems like I'm not supposed to serve the gift wine at the dinner it was gifted at, unless someone brought it as a contribution to dinner (some of our more informal meals are like that).  Can I serve it at another time with the same guests? 

--- End quote ---

There's nothing that says that you can't serve it at the current meal, or at a later meal.  Or not serve it at all.  Or take a bath in it.  Use it to clean the windows.  It's yours now.

alli_wan:
You can always cook with the wine if you don't want to drink it.

Do food banks accept alcohol?

lovinAZ:
we don't drink but have been brought many bottles of wine.  i don't know how often you entertain, but we just hang on to them until some time later when it is appropriate to serve wine.  we're done to one bottle left.  (i am surprised at how many people will drink wine at a bbq/picnic-type event, but it sure did help!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version