News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 09:26:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Are they natural?"  (Read 18278 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: "Are they natural?"
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 07:43:58 PM »
Jan, that's interesting what you just posted.

I was 27y7m old when my b/g twins were born, they were my 3rd pregnancy.

I did not use the Pill. Someone in my generation in my family was due to have twins - my great grandmother and her great grandmother each had a set of twins, in addition to their other children.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 07:46:15 PM »
are they natural?

poke boobies -- yep they are, do you like them?

well maybe not.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Jan74

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 07:49:12 PM »

I did not use the Pill. Someone in my generation in my family was due to have twins - my great grandmother and her great grandmother each had a set of twins, in addition to their other children.

Are they identical? Geneticists were trying to prove even fraternal twins had a genetic link, as in, some females were more likely to ovulate twice in a month.

But I think the parents of boy-girl twins get more of the assumption that it was IVF. Even if two girls or boys are non-identical, people don't know that.

Carnation

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 07:51:14 PM »
Naturally beautiful.  8)

Rosey

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »
Cast me into Ehell with DangerMouth because I often wonder the same thing. I wouldn't ask, but I'm curious. I am a twin, and I was born long before IVF was so popular (early 80s). I'm always curious about the twins around me because it used to be such a rarity! (I'm not complaining that it is not a rarity anymore; I'm acknowledging a change.)

Jan74

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 08:10:11 PM »
Cast me into Ehell with DangerMouth because I often wonder the same thing. I wouldn't ask, but I'm curious. I am a twin, and I was born long before IVF was so popular (early 80s). I'm always curious about the twins around me because it used to be such a rarity! (I'm not complaining that it is not a rarity anymore; I'm acknowledging a change.)
I'm extra evil, I guess, cause I assume that celebrities that make a point of saying they had no conception help had conception help, and that someone that didn't wouldn't have a problem not saying anything at all. I'm looking at Jennifer Lopez specifically here.
In my real life circle, there is only one mother of twins... and triplets. But she has always been very open, since her first "one child only" pregnancy, about using IVF - and we're not even that close.

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 08:10:57 PM »
There is a couple in my town who had "both". They had IVF, and two embryo's were implanted. They both survived, and both embryo's divided into twins. They had two sets of identical twins at the same time!
I swear to the Broccoli Kings, that is my dream pregnancy! Right number of kids, only 1 birth and 2 sets of twins? I'd be over the moon. :D
You don't have any kids, do you?  ;)  We all think that - and after the first baby comes, we go "Thank Deity that there's only one of her/him!"
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

LeveeWoman

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 08:18:52 PM »
They're Memorex!

kareng57

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »

Are they identical? Geneticists were trying to prove even fraternal twins had a genetic link, as in, some females were more likely to ovulate twice in a month.

But I think the parents of boy-girl twins get more of the assumption that it was IVF. Even if two girls or boys are non-identical, people don't know that.

I'd always thought that fraternal twins ran in the family (i.e. the tendency to release more than one egg) and that identicals were pure chance.  However, not too long ago I heard/read that there can be some kind of factor in the sperm that can cause the fertilised egg to split.

But I would never assume (or ask) whether twins were the result of assisted-fertility.  Triplets/quads/quints - well, I might wonder but still wouldn't ask.

As to whether twins are more common than in past decades - they likely are; however, up until about the 1970s it wasn't uncommon for one twin to not survive a premature birth.  If that happened, most casual acquaintances probably wouldn't have known about it.

flo

• used to be re-moe
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 08:38:20 PM »

Personally, I give twins and parents of twins more leeway in what they ask.  Sharing experiences is different than being nosey.  I'm not sure that is true etiquette-wise but it's true in my own little world.

Coralreef

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 08:56:08 PM »
They're Memorex!

That brings back memories  ;D .  It's rude to ask such a question, IMHO.  Even if the parents had technological help to get the babies, I don't think the world at large needs to know. 
"It's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Office coffee cup.

Minmom3

• Life moves onward and upward
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 09:23:35 PM »
Are you seriously getting this question about twins?? (It would be rude about any pregnancy, but about twins, it just seems excessively stupid).

I'd be tempted to answer it just like that---with amazement: "Really? You're asking me that about twins??" If asked in a surprised but neutral tone of voice, would that be rude?

Oh you know, those folks are the same idiots who asked me, times without number, if my brunette DD#1 had the same father as the redhead DD's #2 and #3...  I was asked literally dozens and dozens of times if 'they had the same dad', they were 'a second family', 'was one adopted', and any and all variations of the same.  I got the question so many times any annoyance or anger wore off and I just told them we had redheads in 3 of the 4 grandparental family lines.  I gave a whole LOT of people 'bored eyebrows'....
Double MIL now; not yet a Grandma.  Owner of Lard Butt Noelle, kitteh extraordinaire!

whatsanenigma

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 09:34:20 PM »
That brings back memories  ;D .  It's rude to ask such a question, IMHO.  Even if the parents had technological help to get the babies, I don't think the world at large needs to know. 

And even if it were perfectly polite to ask if the parents had technological help, I think that "are they natural" is a very rude way to ask. They're babies. All babies are "natural". It's not like you can make them out of scrap metal in a factory. All component parts needed to make a baby or babies must come from nature. That is the only way to get them, even if you join them together in a petrie dish instead of a womb.

I think I, personally, would ask "what do you mean?" but with a smile on my face. Make the person reconsider that wording. Then, when they came out with what they actually meant, I would decide whether or not to tell them they were IVF or the old-fashioned way or what.

Shores

• F.O.E.
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 09:39:58 PM »
There is a couple in my town who had "both". They had IVF, and two embryo's were implanted. They both survived, and both embryo's divided into twins. They had two sets of identical twins at the same time!
I swear to the Broccoli Kings, that is my dream pregnancy! Right number of kids, only 1 birth and 2 sets of twins? I'd be over the moon. :D
You don't have any kids, do you?  ;)  We all think that - and after the first baby comes, we go "Thank Deity that there's only one of her/him!"
Oh I'm absolutely sure that 4 at once would be nothing short of hell on earth... it's just that I want a lot of kids, but am terrified of the actual giving birth. :P To be sure of not having to do it more than once would be worth having to move in my mother for years of free help. :P
Wherever you go.... there you are.

hellgirl

• Procrastinator-extraordinaire!
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2010, 10:09:10 PM »
"well, they're man-made, I'm not sure if you'd consider that natural or not."

Love love love this!