Author Topic: Bad Business: Failure To Plan On Your Part Is Not My Problem  (Read 6886 times)

Asharah

Bad Business: Failure To Plan On Your Part Is Not My Problem
« on: October 28, 2010, 01:57:23 PM »
I was at a scientific meeting, and the organization hosting the meeting had rented the entire conference suite of a hotel for the duration of the meeting. The meeting started on Wednesday, and the last speaker was scheduled at 4:45PM on Saturday night (ending at 5PM). The hotel annoyed the organizers early on by not providing coffee, water, or pastries for the coffee breaks (this was in the contract), but that was straightened out.

However, Saturday afternoon I and a colleague emerged from the 2PM session to see that all of the large poster boards on which scientific results are presented had been moved from the presentation area and were crammed into a small corner of one room. People who were still in the sessions did not know where their posters were, and had to hunt through stacks of the poster boards to retrieve their posters. This was odd, but upon exiting to the main gathering area, we discovered that all of the vendors were taking down their booths much earlier than usual, and that there was a giant Tiki statue in the middle of the hall! We got hold of a friend of ours who was one of the organizers. She said that while we were scheduled to have the rooms until 5PM, the hotel had scheduled a "Hawaiian-theme" wedding reception, with sit-down dinner, to START at 5PM! The hotel staff had come around and were forcing all of the scientific people to leave early so they could set up!

This continued through the rest of the afternoon, with hotel staff entering the rooms *during the sessions* to remove chairs and tables, clear away water pitchers, and attempt to force us out early. The poor embarrassed staff members were as quiet as possible so as not to interrupt the talks, but you just can't stack chairs quietly, nor take down tables without blocking someone's view. The speakers were some of the more popular ones, so the sessions were well-attended, and that did not make taking down chairs any easier. The hotel had the misfortune to be located in the same city as the headquarters of our scientific organization, so our lawyer was there by 3PM. I believe we got a significant portion of our bill refunded by the hotel for their poor planning. You would think that a hotel event coordinator would know to leave breakdown and set-up times between functions! Asharah's comment: Why, when they can just kick people out early and still get paid? I feel sorry for the poor bride and groom!

BadBusiness0722-05
Asharah

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Bad Business: Failure To Plan On Your Part Is Not My Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »
I see your succeeding events and raise you two events scheduled for the same space at the same time!

Part of DH's Knights of Columbus event a few years ago was scheduled in the hotel's pool/atrium area at the same time as a class reunion.  The hotel staff didn't want to bring more tables out of the storage area and tried to kidnap the KofC tables to use for the other event.  They succeeded with most of them, but I refused to let them have the table outside DH's hospitality room. (See the subject line -- I used it!) We had paid for the use of them, and several of us wives had knitting etc. spread out on said table. 

Then the class reunion started, and they played music and made drunken announcements AT THE TOP VOLUME OF THE AMPS.    It must have been 120 decibels -- you could hear it all over the hotel, vibrating clear down into your collarbone. 

That was the last time that the KofC held their event at that hotel.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MsMarjorie

• The world was my oyster but I used the wrong fork
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:56:15 AM »
I went to a wedding once that was held in a large beautiful ballroom.  The BC thought they had booked the whole room, the ballroom owners had decided that since the wedding wasn't particularly large they could book out the other half of the room to another wedding!

The owners brilliant solution to divide the weddings was to place office partitioning down the centre of the room.  Gee, no sound will travel through that /sarcasm.  If you stood up you could see the other party.  It was a terrible jumbled mess and ruined the day of two couples.

Ms Aspasia

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:37:05 AM »
How excruciating! :o

mariamousie1

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
Wow. That is definitely bad business practices! The worst part is that they make you have a worse experience due to their mistake.

cnhartman2

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »
Asharah, I agree with your first comment, but not the second.  The reason I don't feel sorry for the bride and groom is because they were not put out.  The hotel made sure that the reception was made priority and that everything was set up for it by the time the guests arrived. 

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:47:40 PM »
Asharah, I agree with your first comment, but not the second.  The reason I don't feel sorry for the bride and groom is because they were not put out.  The hotel made sure that the reception was made priority and that everything was set up for it by the time the guests arrived. 

It depends. If they were unaware of what had been going on, then no, they were not put out. If they knew that other people had been greatly inconvenienced and thrown out of the room early to make way for their reception, then they could have been very upset about it- if it had happened on my wedding day you can bet I'd have been upset about how those people at the conference were treated.
NE England