Author Topic: Spinoff - host/ess gifts  (Read 1702 times)

BittyB

Spinoff - host/ess gifts
« on: June 18, 2007, 10:07:11 PM »
What is the polite way to dispose of hostess gifts like wine or flowers that you won't use, or in the case of the flowers, are allergic to?  I don't want to come off as ungracious, or unappreciative, because it always makes me really happy that someone thought of me enough to bring a hostess gift.  On the other hand, I don't want to just toss a bottle of wine. 

It seems like I'm not supposed to serve the gift wine at the dinner it was gifted at, unless someone brought it as a contribution to dinner (some of our more informal meals are like that).  Can I serve it at another time with the same guests? 

The flowers I just put on the window sill and wait for them to die.  :P

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
Re: Spinoff - host/ess gifts
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 10:19:12 PM »
You can serve the wine with dinner at that time if you choose to. But you are not under obligation to.

But if you really aren't going to use the wine, well I'll e-mail you my address  ;D. Ok, just kidding, but I'd put it some place and pull it out to use as my own hostess gift.

As for the flowers I would put them far away from me as you can, while still in view of your guests while they're there and then toss them.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 05:42:36 PM »
It seems like I'm not supposed to serve the gift wine at the dinner it was gifted at, unless someone brought it as a contribution to dinner (some of our more informal meals are like that).  Can I serve it at another time with the same guests? 

There's nothing that says that you can't serve it at the current meal, or at a later meal.  Or not serve it at all.  Or take a bath in it.  Use it to clean the windows.  It's yours now.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

alli_wan

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 05:46:36 PM »
You can always cook with the wine if you don't want to drink it.

Do food banks accept alcohol?

lovinAZ

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 06:08:41 PM »
we don't drink but have been brought many bottles of wine.  i don't know how often you entertain, but we just hang on to them until some time later when it is appropriate to serve wine.  we're done to one bottle left.  (i am surprised at how many people will drink wine at a bbq/picnic-type event, but it sure did help!)

Saki_Fiz

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 11:58:21 PM »
I personally almost always open a bottle of wine that was brought as a gift that same night.  But of course, if I don't open that bottle, I would just end up opening a bottle from my own rack anyways.   ;D  The suggestion of keeping it to use as a hostess gift next time you are invited somewhere seems very practical to me.

As for the flowers, if you live close to a hospital, they will generally be happy to accept flowers to either place in the chapel or for people that don't get visitors.

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 12:16:55 AM »
As for the flowers, if you live close to a hospital, they will generally be happy to accept flowers to either place in the chapel or for people that don't get visitors.

That is so nice and makes me feel guilty because the things would be dead before I ever got around to getting them there.

BittyB

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 12:06:49 PM »

How do you find out how to donate the flowers?  I actually work at a hospital (but not for them), and we're next door to another hospital (there used to be yet ANOTHER hospital here too, but they just  moved).

Maybe I'll just go ask at the info desk the next time I'm on the 1st floor!  Thanks for the suggestion! :D

Saki_Fiz

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 03:26:07 PM »

How do you find out how to donate the flowers?  I actually work at a hospital (but not for them), and we're next door to another hospital (there used to be yet ANOTHER hospital here too, but they just  moved).

Maybe I'll just go ask at the info desk the next time I'm on the 1st floor!  Thanks for the suggestion! :D

It may not be the same at every hospital, but when my grandmother passed away, my Aunt gave about half of the flowers the family received to the hospital chapel.  This was in Sante Fe and they were very appreciative.

Arianoor

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 06:14:55 PM »
My parent's have to throw away almost any flowers they are given because the smell makes my father very ill.  They keep them until their guests leave and them Mom disposes of them.  There is no shame in not keeping something that you are allergic to, or that makes you ill.  This only happens with people who don't know them.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 12:21:01 PM »
I am sure if you don't like to have flowers around you could give them to your next door neighbors...just tell them you are allergic and would they like them?

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 02:08:18 PM »
Say thank you and move on.

Go ahead and serve the wine. Or use it for your next meal. Or give it away as a hostess gift for someone else (please not the same couple). No point in letting it go to waste. They brought it for you to do as you please, so do as you please.