Author Topic: Marissa Jaret Winokur / Open car door in a parking lot  (Read 8773 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Re: Marissa Jaret Winokur / Open car door in a parking lot
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2010, 09:28:16 AM »
I don't have children, but I'd cut her a little slack for her panic.  She had also accidentally locked her cell phone in the car.  being barefoot and locked out of her car had to make her feel completely out of control.

BTW, she did host the first season of Dance Your A** Off, but was dropped for being overweight.

Wittyone

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2010, 08:37:55 PM »
I almost can't believe this happened today, but my 2 1/2 year old got locked in the car.  We were in the middle of an almond orchard and my DH was moving the vehicle, Jeep, not that it matters much.  The 2 1/2 year old was out of his car seat while DH was coming around the Jeep to open the door for him when he hit the lock button, locking himself and the keys inside.  No one panicked.  We both stood at the window and guided him into trying to unlock the door.  He failed to find the button again.  Tried and failed to push the manual lock to unlock, but finally managed to just pull the door handle. The doors will still open from the inside while locked, at least the front doors will.  All in all he was locked in for less than ten minutes.
California

MrsO

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »
Did she not think that her son was 'scared to death' because she was screaming and crying hysterically, and shouting 'Call 911!' as if the car was about to explode?  ::)

Also, even the mum who tried to calm her down and help her was only doing it to be nosy.

She sounds like a drama queen who loves to play the victim, if you ask me. Scary bully mommies indeed. ::)

Yarnspinner

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2010, 12:40:49 AM »
What I found even more appalling were the comments.

So many of the posters were ready to bash the "mean mommies" for bullying their favorite celebrity!  How awful of that nasty woman to need to leave! How absolutely stinky that the one woman who came to her aid was probably just nosey about the car!

Then, when other posters respectfully tried to show the opposite side of the coin (and these ladies were so polite and kind that they made us ehellions look positively crude and coarse by comparison) and suggest that maybe they were being judgemental themselves, that maybe the woman who wanted to leave was the sole support of her family...these people turned on them and bashed them to bits, suggesting that they were mean mom bullies who wanted to destroy poor, poor Marissa's self esteem.  The nicer and more polite the posters got the nastier and more vulgar the Marissa groupies became. 

Have we become so celebrity obsessed and entitled that we can't see how such behavior makes us look to the world?  And these are supposedly grown women.  I shudder to think how they behaved in high school.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2010, 11:10:26 AM »
CRUD MONKEYS!!! She, like, you know, uses way too many exclamation points!!! That was painful to read.

(I don't normally write like that - just imitating her style)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2010, 07:07:57 AM »
Have we become so celebrity obsessed and entitled that we can't see how such behavior makes us look to the world?  And these are supposedly grown women.  I shudder to think how they behaved in high school.

I wouldn't say "we" have. I would say that a certain percentage of people are obsessed with celebrity to the point of irrationality, though.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2010, 08:48:18 AM »
Did she not think that her son was 'scared to death' because she was screaming and crying hysterically, and shouting 'Call 911!' as if the car was about to explode?  ::)

Also, even the mum who tried to calm her down and help her was only doing it to be nosy.

She sounds like a drama queen who loves to play the victim, if you ask me. Scary bully mommies indeed. ::)

She does mention that he was already crying, but I agree, she made it exponentially worse by coming unglued.

I read the whole thing and was looking for her to be bullied- and it never happened. I'm sure there were snippy comments made in the aftermath, though not to her, but at the time at least one person tried to help only to be accused of rubbernecking.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2010, 09:22:49 AM »

This is what I was thinking.  Even my more timid child is tougher than I give her credit for.  Every time I overreact to her having a tumble or bump, she gets more freaked out over that than she does the pain and fright of hurting herself.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2010, 12:55:48 PM »
I read the whole thing and was looking for her to be bullied- and it never happened. I'm sure there were snippy comments made in the aftermath, though not to her, but at the time at least one person tried to help only to be accused of rubbernecking.

That what I thought- I can understand that the situation was traumatic for her and her son- but you couldn't really call it bullying.

AmberVolakis

• I'm not perfect, I'm clumsy!
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2010, 06:52:32 PM »
In all honesty, Marissa sounds like a very disorganized person. When I read her blog post, I wondered why her son was barefoot in his carseat on the way to school anyway - wouldn't you want to put the shoes on the kid before taking him to the car so you're not stuck doing it in the parking lot? If you know he's going to school, why not get him all ready?

And then she says she was barefoot in the parking lot because she left her shoes in the car - so she was driving barefoot? She knew she was going to get out of the car to gather her kid, finish dressing the kid and presumably walk him into school yet she didn't put her shoes on? Honestly, I could see how other mothers might judge her if she was dressed in her pajamas, in yesterday's makeup, barefoot and struggling to finish dressing her son in the parking lot (since she admitted she always dresses like that and it wasn't a one time, I was so frazzled thing). I get the feeling that that probably happens often since Marissa doesn't seem to have any morning routine - if she's constantly stressed and frazzled and throwing things together every morning, she probably was rude to the other mom.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »
This is a celebrity, right?

I mean, I've never heard of her....

My feeling exactly.

I wish all these 'celebrities' could hear the number of people who hear there name and go "Who?"

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 04:47:43 AM »
I used to work as a call handler for a large motoring organisation in the UK (there are two large ones, similar to AAA). We did get calls from people who had locked their child in the car and they were always treated as an emergency. A patrol got there as quickly as humanly possible to get the door open, and they would be better equipped to do so than a police officer would have been.

I had some parents who were so hysterical that it was near impossible to get the information we needed- I remember one woman who was in such a state that she couldn't tell me the address of the school she was at (and I needed that information- otherwise the partol might not have been able to find the place) but fortunately she handed the phone over to someone else who was able to tell me what I needed to know. she was in such a state that the calltook three times the amount of time it needed. Others were more laconic, like the father who told me what a lovely time his little girl was having in there playing with the CD player and car lights, but it was getting past her bedtime and she was flattening the battery so could we please come and get her out?

Call your breakdown organisation, keep calm or you'll make the baby upset, cover the windows with blankets to keep the sun out and break the window if you absolutely have to. Having a meltdown will only make matters worse for your child.
NE England

think2x

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2010, 01:20:58 PM »

My feeling exactly.

I wish all these 'celebrities' could hear the number of people who hear there name and go "Who?"

Exactly. Though I could post this in the "I feel old" thread because the older I get, the greater the numbers of celebs there are that I have no idea what they do. This thread is the first I've heard of this actress.

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2010, 01:54:40 PM »

My feeling exactly.

Exactly. Though I could post this in the "I feel old" thread because the older I get, the greater the numbers of celebs there are that I have no idea what they do. This thread is the first I've heard of this actress.

POD!

I watched a movie the other day and kept thinking--who are these people?  They are apparently well known, but not by me--and the movie was kind of crappy...

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2010, 01:57:33 PM »

My feeling exactly.

LOL. That too :D