Author Topic: Marissa Jaret Winokur / Open car door in a parking lot  (Read 9050 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Marissa Jaret Winokur / Open car door in a parking lot
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »
Does anyone else consider what she did a bit of an abuse of 911? AAA could easily have gotten the child out. But in her mind, "It would take too long!!!1!", so, all the king's horses and all the king's men must come to get her child out of the care 5 minutes sooner. Who cares if someone else is having a heart attack in that time?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

jennipooh97

« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2010, 11:40:19 AM »
I don't have children, but I'd cut her a little slack for her panic.  She had also accidentally locked her cell phone in the car.  being barefoot and locked out of her car had to make her feel completely out of control.

BTW, she did host the first season of Dance Your A** Off, but was dropped for being overweight.

I agree.  I would cut her a little slack too.  I am a fan of Marisa's and do read her blog on a regular basis. She seems like a sweet girl to me, even though obviously I don't know her personally.  Maybe if someone there had taken the time to sit with her and calm her down instead of just gawk at her, the situation wouldn't have escalated to the place that it did.

I also get the point she was trying to make about the mommy bullies, even if some don't think she articulated the point very well.  I'm not a mom, but there are some women out there who do go out of their way to make others feel lesser than, which is something that I've experienced.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 11:43:29 AM by jennipooh97 »

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2010, 12:47:31 PM »
 Maybe if someone there had taken the time to sit with her and calm her down instead of just gawk at her, the situation wouldn't have escalated to the place that it did.

One woman tried to help her and this is what Winoker said about her: "One mom tried to make me feel better, but I think it was really just to get a closer look!"

It's little wonder she had no friends at the preschool.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2010, 05:47:26 AM »
I don't have children, but I'd cut her a little slack for her panic.  She had also accidentally locked her cell phone in the car.  being barefoot and locked out of her car had to make her feel completely out of control.

BTW, she did host the first season of Dance Your A** Off, but was dropped for being overweight.

I agree.  I would cut her a little slack too.  I am a fan of Marisa's and do read her blog on a regular basis. She seems like a sweet girl to me, even though obviously I don't know her personally.  Maybe if someone there had taken the time to sit with her and calm her down instead of just gawk at her, the situation wouldn't have escalated to the place that it did.

I also get the point she was trying to make about the mommy bullies, even if some don't think she articulated the point very well.  I'm not a mom, but there are some women out there who do go out of their way to make others feel lesser than, which is something that I've experienced.

It sounds like she was really making it difficult to calm/help her.  Somebody offered to call AAA - nope that was a bad thing.  Somebody coming close to help was intrusive.  I wonder if Some of this is an actor's personality - do they find it easier to slip into emotions and harder to slip out of them?  The people I know wouldn't react this way but a lot of them tend to be medical.  My brother works in CPS.  I guess our perspective on serious emergencies differ a bit based on experience and observation.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2010, 06:19:23 AM »
I do have some sympathy for the "closer look" thing. As someone who is well known, she will have repeatedly experienced people trying to get closer to her, or her child, because she is famous. It will certainly make it harder for her to make friends, but I don't blame her for being wary.
NE England

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2010, 06:29:47 AM »
I do have some sympathy for the "closer look" thing. As someone who is well known, she will have repeatedly experienced people trying to get closer to her, or her child, because she is famous. It will certainly make it harder for her to make friends, but I don't blame her for being wary.

except that she wants help without anybody looking or coming close.  In the irrational panic that might even make sense inside her own mind but when she sat down to blog and is complaining about not getting help and then dismissing the help people tried to give her - at some point she needs to make a choice and take responsibility for that choice.  She can't keep people at a distance while pleading for them to come help her.

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2010, 08:18:28 AM »

except that she wants help without anybody looking or coming close.  In the irrational panic that might even make sense inside her own mind but when she sat down to blog and is complaining about not getting help and then dismissing the help people tried to give her - at some point she needs to make a choice and take responsibility for that choice.  She can't keep people at a distance while pleading for them to come help her.

Pod. She wants to have her cake and eat it too, and I'm sorry, that's just not going to happen.
The status is not quo!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2010, 04:37:30 PM »

Exactly. I can't help her calm down from 20 feet away, but if I come over to assist and she accuses me of rubbernecking, what am I supposed to do?
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2010, 09:23:44 AM »

Well, does she want people to do? Leave her her space, or come and help? It's pretty hard to do both.

If she's too freaked out by fame to be able to deal with people rationally, perhaps she should get out of the public eye, and into therapy.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2010, 11:41:16 AM »
   I think there is also a line between social pressure and bullying. Social pressure can be healthy and it's a pretty big party of etiquette's "hammer".  The other mother's don't like me because I don't wear designer jogging suites to drop off my child is not the same as the other mothers don't like me because I wear my slept in pajamas , no shoes, don't wash my face before bed or in the morning, and don't finish dressing my child before we leave the house, expect acomadation etc.  There's a point were I'm just such a mess people should notice that I'm not functioning. Now, is tsk tsking the way to go? but what do you do when someone thinks you just want to rubber neck if you try to calm them? how do you talk to someone who think your a  judgemetal bully because you're worried they seem to overwhelmed?  how do you treat someone who expects accommodations but not to be noticed at the same time?