News:

• April 23, 2018, 01:02:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Creative packaging for Christmas gifts?  (Read 3109 times)

caroljones

Creative packaging for Christmas gifts?
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
I have an odd shaped box with small electronics in it. It's fairly square in the lower portion but the top is like folded over cardboard to make a hang tag. I hope this makes sense. Other than putting it in a bigger box, is there any creative way I can wrap it?

I also have a few small items that go together and found some really cute Chinese takeout containers that are decorated in a Christmas theme. If you received a gift in one would you think it was good or bad?

I also have some nice books which are rather thin. I was thinking of putting them in a nice gift box and then wrapping but I'm open to suggestions.

Then there is the soft plush stuff for a child. I either have to get a pretty big box or wrap around them. Any other ideas on how to make them look nice?

TIA

Brentwood

Re: Creative packaging for Christmas gifts?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »
You can fold down the hang tag and tape it down before wrapping. Gift bags and tissue paper are also good solutions for oddly-shaped gifts and the plush items.

I love the decorated Chinese-takeout style containers for gifts.

KenveeB

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 01:59:56 PM »
I like the Chinese take-out boxes!  Sounds very cute.  For the books, if they're all for one recipient, I would just bundle them together and wrap them like a box. 

I can't think of anything for the odd-shaped box but a bigger box or a gift bag.

caroljones

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »
Gift bags are pretty good for oddly shaped gift items.  I've seen tutorials online to make your own from wrapping paper -- that way you can make it exactly the shape and size you need.

I think the Chinese takeout gift boxes are really cute.

Thanks for the idea of the gift bags. I still have some cute ones left from last year. Maybe I'll just wrap the box in green or red tissue paper so he can't peek before Christmas.

If you have a Rite Aid drugstore near you that's where I got the takeout containers. I couldn't believe they had their Christmas wrap out before Halloween was over. The boxes have a Rite Aid tag on them so I guess these particular ones you can only get there and they have a little Velcro closure at the top. I've seen different solid colored ones other places but not Christmas themes.

caroljones

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 04:15:46 PM »
I like the Chinese take-out boxes!  Sounds very cute.  For the books, if they're all for one recipient, I would just bundle them together and wrap them like a box. 

I can't think of anything for the odd-shaped box but a bigger box or a gift bag.

The books are different dimensions so I think I will wrap them together in a shirt or lingerie box. I don't like to wrap something by itself if it's obvious it's a book or a DVD or something like that. It sort of takes the fun out of it for me, but maybe I'm weird!

The plush stuff is something called Pillow Pets mypillowpets.com. It's the large puppy pillow and blanket so it's two pieces and they only come wrapped in clear plastic. I'll probably put them both in a larger box one of my other orders came in and them wrap it in paper so it's not so apparent it's something like that. The child is only 3, but still. And I also got him a couple of the cutest little board books by Sandra Boynton http://www.amazon.com/Sandra-Boynton/e/B000AP9SWQ/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1. This child is nearly 4 but he's had a lot of medical problems and it has delayed his development - I hope the books aren't too babyish, though.

I have one more thing to order (gift card) for my friend and his mother to go out to dinner and then I'm done with the shopping. Yay.

In my family we are adults, my dad is elderly and unable to shop, and I have to shop online due to him so what I normally do each year is buy one big thing the family will enjoy rather than individual gifts because then my father doesn't feel bad that he can't get out and buy something and has to give money.

Are you all done making things or shopping?

One more thing I'd love some feedback on. If you knew a person who likes to give gifts for different occasions of home baked things like cookies or banana bread, do you think they'd like a personal ink stamp that said "from the kitchen of <this person>? I saw some really cute ones in someone's online store. This is similar to the one I bought but the design in the center is different - it has a cake: http://www.sweetpapery.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_36&products_id=150.

CherryRipe

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 07:20:28 PM »
In my family, gifts have been wrapped in wrapping paper, cloth gift bags, paper gift bags, regular brown paper, newspaper, garbage bags, pantyliner boxes, and sometimes nothing at all, if it's not practical (for example, if the gift in question is a sled or a hockey net).  My point is.......don't overthink.  Yes, you're fine with the Chinese take-out-style containers.

snowfire

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 08:21:36 PM »
I love the Chinese take-out boxes.  I've seen some at the import store too that were fabric covered & very fancy.

Toughest one I ever wrapped was a double rifle case for DH.  Large bicycle sized gift bag, ribbon and a LOT of foam peanuts turned it into a life size snowman.  My pinching, poking, shaking, squeezing DH didn't have a clue!  >:D

CherryRipe

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 08:34:28 PM »
Bicycle-sized gift bags?  Do those even exist?  I mean, they exist as a concept, because I can imagine it, but do they exist in reality?  Anyway.......next Christmas, I think I'm going to wrap my family's gifts (or at least my brother's gift) in pantyliner boxes, just for old times' sake. ;)

KenveeB

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 08:36:12 PM »
Bicycle-sized gift bags?  Do those even exist?  I mean, they exist as a concept, because I can imagine it, but do they exist in reality?  Anyway.......next Christmas, I think I'm going to wrap my family's gifts (or at least my brother's gift) in pantyliner boxes, just for old times' sake. ;)

Yup, they exist!  They're basically giant garbage bags with some kind of festive color and decoration. :)

ClaireC79

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 12:07:18 PM »
They do CR, here the bike shops sell them at Christmas - have seen them the last few years

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 10:19:10 PM »
I love the idea of those Chinese pail containers... especially if one is putting cookies or candies in them.

You can also find velvet-covered boxes that are typically sold in sets of three or four in graduated sizes.  These are great for jewelry or other feminine accessories.  Just add a nice ribbon.

Gift bags are great for anything that's awkward to wrap; I've seen huge ones.  They have them in dollar stores in my area so I never have to pay Hallmark-store prices for them.

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 11:55:07 AM »
Oatmeal cans work great for odd-shaped items that will fit in them.  It's usually easy enough to peel off the outer printed cardboard, or, if you're feeling creative, you can paint the can or cover it with craft paper.  Plus, They are super easy to wrap!

ZaftigWife

• No longer a bride, but still zaftig.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 11:56:59 AM »

One more thing I'd love some feedback on. If you knew a person who likes to give gifts for different occasions of home baked things like cookies or banana bread, do you think they'd like a personal ink stamp that said "from the kitchen of <this person>? I saw some really cute ones in someone's online store. This is similar to the one I bought but the design in the center is different - it has a cake: http://www.sweetpapery.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_36&products_id=150.

I know I would LOVE a gift like that!

rashea

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »
One aunt wraps everything that fits in bright dish towels and ribbon. It's actually a great option for stuff that's small enough.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

EngineerChick

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 05:05:45 PM »
Something else that may work is to wrap your presents in cloth.  Some good demonstrations of how to do this can be found here:  http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2006/11/how_to_use_furoshiki_clot.html  (Or do a search on "furoshiki".)

The bottle wrapping methods work well, as does the double book wrap (Hon Tsutsumi--bottom row, second from left).
Talk nerdy to me.