Author Topic: Inedible? What parts of food do you eat?  (Read 12084 times)

Giggity

• Super Hero!
Re: Inedible? What parts of food do you eat?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 11:10:28 AM »
A few weeks back, at my outdoor job, I was sippin' pickle juice. A co-worker asked me what it was. When I told her, she said drinking pickle juice was NASTY. She loves pickles but hates pickle juice.

How on earth does one eat a pickle without consuming any pickle juice?
Words mean things.

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 12:47:16 PM »
DH loves the potato skin, I don't.  We do the Jack Sprat thing - he gets my skins in exchange for an extra bite of the potato part of his :)

I like crusts on everything except for grilled cheese sandwiches.

Won't eat "innards" unless it's in the form of braunswieger (sp?)

My friend eats the kiwi fruit skin, but it's FUZZY!   :-X

Bacon - I can't eat any part of it unless it's practically burnt so there aren't any fat/squishy bits left.

And if it's on a bone - forget it.  DH has to de-bone anything while I'm not watching :)

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 12:59:38 PM »
I will eat potato skins, although generally only if I've made it myself since people don't clean potatoes properly.  I also will eat most fruit or vegetable skins with the exceptions of things usually peeled like oranges.  I hate broccoli stems.

I do no eat bread crusts or pizza crusts, but that is due to a medical condition.  (I don't produce enough saliva which makes bready and dry things difficult to chew and swallow.)

I don't eat chunks of fat and don't usually eat chicken skin.  I don't eat organs or feet.  I usually only eat the actual meat the only exception being jello.

BuffaloFang

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 01:19:38 PM »
I love potato skin, although for some reason I won't eat sweet potato skin.  I mean, really, they're the same thing, but I just can't wrap my head around eating it.  My DH does though.

I love pizza crust, but I dislike regular bread crust.  It's like, slightly stale bread to me, so I usually cut it off.

I eat the skins on almost all fruit except for grapes.  It leaves a strange tannic feel in my mouth, and it's a pain to peel grapes so I just usually don't eat them.

One thing I tried on my recent trip to Brazil was the fruit part of the cashew plant.  Never again.  Blech.  But I guess a lot of people there like it.  Maybe it's an acquired taste...

Namárië

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 01:24:12 PM »
Haha, this thread is making me feel like I'm a bit of a weirdo. I eat everything.

I eat potato skins, kiwi skins, cucumber skins, crusts off of everything, chicken skin, organs, the marrow out of bones... The fat on bacon is my favorite part.

I won't eat apple cores though! But I will gnaw until I get every last bit of tender apple flesh. My ex-BF used to eat the whole thing (including seeds) except for the stem.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 01:26:29 PM by Namárië »
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

CherryRipe

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 01:24:44 PM »
Oh, I know one--sometimes I eat dinner over at iHouse when I'm too lazy to cook.  If they serve stuffed peppers (or "capsicum") as the vegetarian meal, I'll often eat the outside part, and throw away the innards.  

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 01:58:03 PM »
I used to peel my potato after Mom baked them. So she started serving redskin potatoes, which are too thin-skinned for a ten year old to peel with a fork. She got me. :) Now I love potato skins, especially a little bit crispy with some salt. They're like potato chips with extra potato. Pizza crust - yum. Peach skin - too much trouble to peel, so I eat it. Cucumbers I can go either way on. I like when they are peeled so they're striped with some skin and some bare.

My husband drinks pickle juice from the jar, which weirded me out when I saw him do it the first time. I don't think he eats the flotsam in there though. He also loves plain white bread soaked in milk as a snack. Bluuurg.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 02:11:13 PM »
I eat a lot of the parts of food that other people don't. I get really into my food, so it's not surprising.

-Maraschino cherry stems.
-When I eat bone-in meat at home, I generally suck the marrow out. I don't do this in restaurants or around other people because it's a bit medieval.
-Any small or very soft bones. I'm probably going to get myself killed doing this eventually.
-Any burnt/crispy fat off grilled meat, particularly fish and chicken skin.
-The crunchy bits stuck to the pan with any kind of casserole, especially ones made with rice - in Persian cuisine, crunchy rice bits are a delicacy called tadiq, so I at least have some vindication there.
-I eat pumpkin and sunflower seeds whole. I used to eat peanuts in the shell whole.
-Spice pods in Indian food. I still have to pick out the woody bits of ginger/lemongrass/galangal in Thai food, though.
-Stuff that I know other people don't always eat but doesn't seem that weird to me - the peels from apples, peaches, pears etc., the heels of bread, bacon fat.

My family always jokes that I get a lot of roughage in my diet.

sparklestar

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
I eat the inside of the pineapple instead of "core-ing" it - my mother thinks this is gross, so I'm not sure how I ever learned that I liked it... ::)

bluebirds

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 02:33:42 PM »
I also eat pretty much anything: whole kiwi fruits, potato skin, fish skin (when it's crispy, yum...), offal (liver, kidneys, tongue, dried intestines - the only things I think I don't particularly like are the lungs), bone marrow, chicken feet, duck tongue, calves' feet - I tend to try most things at least once, so it's always interesting to discover what I do and do not like.

Weirdly though, I won't touch pizza crust, chicken/duck skin, fat on meat (I think pork crackling is just  :-X), frogs' legs, and the diced colourful dried fruits in Christmas pudding.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 02:50:33 PM »
I never ever eat potato skins in a restaurant.  I remember watching the cursory wash the kitchen helper would give the potatoes.  

At home, I get out a new scrubbing sponge and scrub half the skin off.  Those I will happily eat.  

On the subject of stuff you throw away.  A friend of my dad's had gotten very sick and was spending a few weeks recovering at home, and basically driving his wife nuts.  He watched while she made a roast.  She cut off the end and tossed it.  He asked why, and she said that is just what you do.  Later he asked his IL's, and then MIL said, "My pan was never big enough." 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:57:31 PM by Sophia »

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 03:17:55 PM »
Oh yeah - chicken and beef hearts. Delicious. Especially chicken.

Namárië

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 03:32:42 PM »
-I eat pumpkin and sunflower seeds whole. I used to eat peanuts in the shell whole.

Wait—people don't eat whole pumpkin seeds!? The shell is super tasty when crispy!
Competence is a trap!
I mostly don't make stuff, but sometimes I do: http://initiationcreation.blogspot.com

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 04:56:47 PM »
To make a crispy baked potato, paint the skin with olive oil and bake in the oven on a sheet of foil.  It will help speed the cooking time if you drive a steel or aluminum nail into the potato.  Buy nails made from food grade steel or aluminum for safety.

I eat the skins from kiwi, and when my grandmother peeled apples, peaches, and cucumber, I would eat the peel.  

As a child, I peeled the cheese off my pizza, although I liked cheese generally.  It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized I don't like pepperoni or sausage, and don't like how they flavor pizza cheese.

I peel grapefruit like an orange, except that I peel off the transparent skin between the sections.  On the other hand, I eat lemon, peel and all.

Oh, and I eat the whole sunflower seed in the shell.  I know you aren't supposed to, but I like the flavor.  I try not to eat too many, as they are supposed to be able to cause blockage in quantity.

"Brownies and kindness for all!"  — High Dudgeon

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 06:04:44 PM »
Oh, and I eat the whole sunflower seed in the shell.  I know you aren't supposed to, but I like the flavor.  I try not to eat too many, as they are supposed to be able to cause blockage in quantity.

I've eaten entire big bags in shell. No blockage, but the end result is uh, prickly.