Author Topic: Inedible? What parts of food do you eat?  (Read 11298 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Inedible? What parts of food do you eat?
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2010, 07:38:14 PM »
I don't care for the skins of Idaho potatoes, but will eat Red Bliss or Yukon Gold ones.

I suck the heads on crawfish....hmmm yummy.

I only like broccoli florets, blanched or steamed briefly.

I also peel grapefruit like an orange and peel the sections...I get really weird looks when I do it too.

I like the skin and seeds on cumcumbers even though the seeds make me burp uncontrollably for hours.

I don't like pizza crust except on the super thin crust kind.

I will not eat the fatty top part of a chicken breast or the piece that has the weird little tendon in it.  I also won't eat the creepy little veins that are still visible or any other weird grisly parts of meat (I give those to the cats or the husband who thinks it is awful not to eat those parts).

I love the green pepper part of stuffed green peppers, my other family member use it like a bowl and throw them out...so now I get the extras.

I usually will not eat fried chicken skin.  Not because I dislike it, but because it gives me excruciating heartburn (one of the few things that does, french fries is the other).
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »
I eat a lot of the parts of food that other people don't. I get really into my food, so it's not surprising.

-Maraschino cherry stems.
-When I eat bone-in meat at home, I generally suck the marrow out. I don't do this in restaurants or around other people because it's a bit medieval.
-Any small or very soft bones. I'm probably going to get myself killed doing this eventually.
-Any burnt/crispy fat off grilled meat, particularly fish and chicken skin.
-The crunchy bits stuck to the pan with any kind of casserole, especially ones made with rice - in Persian cuisine, crunchy rice bits are a delicacy called tadiq, so I at least have some vindication there.
-I eat pumpkin and sunflower seeds whole. I used to eat peanuts in the shell whole.
-Spice pods in Indian food. I still have to pick out the woody bits of ginger/lemongrass/galangal in Thai food, though.
-Stuff that I know other people don't always eat but doesn't seem that weird to me - the peels from apples, peaches, pears etc., the heels of bread, bacon fat.

My family always jokes that I get a lot of roughage in my diet.

Some cultures eat anything they can chew, which includes small bones or cartilage. I've never heard of any health problems because of this - if anything you are getting more calcium from the bones.

I like bacon fat more than the meat, and I love slightly burnt, crispy bits too. :) I don't eat peels unless I got the fruit directly from an orchard. For some reason, I react to the stuff they put on the outside of supermarket fruit.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2010, 08:35:05 PM »
Some cultures eat anything they can chew, which includes small bones or cartilage. I've never heard of any health problems because of this - if anything you are getting more calcium from the bones.

I was thinking more that eventually one will go down wrong and I'll choke to death while gesturing frantically at my crotch in a fit of ill-timed dyslexia, but I guess that's a risk with any solid food.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2010, 08:41:31 PM »

I was thinking more that eventually one will go down wrong and I'll choke to death while gesturing frantically at my crotch in a fit of ill-timed dyslexia, but I guess that's a risk with any solid food.

Now there's a memorable mental image...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

TheWeirdOne

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 08:42:52 PM »
My favourite food group is burnt crunchy bits.

I'll eat pizza crusts if they're thin, bread crusts and the heel end of bread (my boyfriend thinks I'm mad but at least I don't have to share it with him :)), potato skins, burnt chips, crunchy biscuits etc. I'm on a diet now though, so I just salvilate and watch the rest of the family finish them.

I eat the white part of watermelon, close to the skin, and I like my watermelon underripe. Peach skin yes, kiwifruit skin no.

I can't stand fat, skin or gristle in meat, and finding a bit in my meal is enough to kill my appetite.

I don't eat lamb or mutton, just the smell of it makes me feel ill. I dread the day I'm invited to dinner with lamb as the main dish, because there's no way I will be able to eat it (plead an upset stomach and stick to the sides, I guess).

My boyfriend, by contrast, loves bacon, hates bread crusts, and doesn't like many vegetables (all the more veg for me then!). He also can't stand the taste or smell of porridge, because when he was a child his mum thought he was joking when he told her about the little bugs in his porridge.

My uncle loves eating chicken feet.

As far as baked potato goes, I've heard that placing the potatoes on a bed of rock salt and into the oven helps to dry them out and give them a nice crispy crunchy skin. Never tried it though.

MSwoman

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 08:49:40 PM »
When I was very young, I was a picky eater, so my mom would peel my baked potato. Until she noticed that I ate the peel, too. I just wanted it separate from the potato, because I didn't like foods touching another food! Mom put her foot down, and told me to get over myself and eat the whole thing or peel it myself. She still pokes fun at me about that, decades later.

One of my sisters hated celery, so she would pick the celery out of her potato salad and give it to me. I hated onions, so I would pick the onions out of my potato salad and give them to her. Mom just rolled her eyes and let us.

I've outgrown or overcome most of my picky eater tendencies, finally. And my sons don't like potato skins, so I get all of theirs, after I peel their baked potatoes.  ;D

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »
I like potato skins, especially red ones.  I don't even peel them off when making potato salad.  I also don't peel cucumbers; I just make sure they're clean.

I have never understood bread crust removal; that's the best part!

No fat on meat for me and chicken skin must be crispy.

Some people remove the brown coating off of nutmeats, which is too much work.  Not to mention that the papery coating of pistachios is delicious.

Pinky830

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 09:17:54 PM »
I will not eat the fat on meat, no matter what. I cut it off steak, ham, and bacon.

I will eat potato skins.

I'm one of the few people I know who eats pizza crusts; DH gives me his.

I refused to cut the crusts off bread for my kids when they were little. If they didn't want it, they could eat around it themselves. They eat bread crusts now.

Whe I was a kid I would eat peaches like apples...skin and all...but now I think I must have been crazy.

My dad used to eat fish fins and shrimp tails. Really. It astonished me every time.

My mother peels tomatoes. Does anybody do that besides her? You can't slice them thin enough if they don't have the peel on.

There was a really funny scene in...really..."The Dukes of Hazzard" once about this. Boss Hogg was eating fried chicken and the sheriff came in to tell him something, and as he was talking, BH finished a chicken leg, and ate the leg bone whole. Sheriff Roscoe stopped in mid-sentence and spluttered, and BH leaned forward and snapped, "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!" DH and I still say that, complete with heavy Southern accent, any time the other thinks we're being an unreasonable cheapskate.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 09:36:40 PM »
I eat peanut shells. Like, when you get them roasted in the shell at baseball games? I just eat the whole thing. Love it... grosses everyone else out. :P
Wherever you go.... there you are.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 09:48:17 PM »
I eat peanut shells. Like, when you get them roasted in the shell at baseball games? I just eat the whole thing. Love it... grosses everyone else out. :P

But that's where all the salt is. Mmm mmm mmm.

Bright

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 09:59:42 PM »
I like potato skin only if it's been crisped up. If it's not crispy to my satisfaction it gets left. I often microwave my potatoes until they're cooked and then smack them in the oven to get them crispy without the hour long cooking time normal baked potatoes take.

Same for fat, I absolutely love crispy bacon fat, but if it's not crispy then it's nasty nasty stuff.

There's a number of green vegetables I can't eat uncooked because they make me ill. The green parts of spring onions are on that list but the bulbs are fine, so I do tend to just use the bulbs for salads. It doesn't make sense to me either.

I don't like meat on the bone, or any sort of offal, or skin.

I do sometimes peel tomatoes, but if I'm peeling them I usually eat the peel. Same for roasted red and yellow peppers, I peel them then eat the peel. I just don't really like encountering the skins in whatever I'm cooking.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
I'll tolerate thin/red potato skins, but I draw the line at the rough brown skins.  No indeed.  

I don't love apple skins, but I'll eat them for the fiber.

Fat parts of meat ..  :-X

I love the top crust of bread, but not the bottom crust (unless it's homemade, then I'll eat all of it).

I've started keeping walnuts around to snack on, but first I roast them and rub off the papery black skin.

I'll eat pizza crusts most of the time, unless I'm full or I feel like I'm going to get stuck (I have a lap band and they're touchy about bread).

It's a texture thing with me.  

re:  Green onions .. I've lost count of the recipes that call for the white part only.   Whaaat? The green is the best part!

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 02:33:29 AM »
I'm a big fan of using as much as possible from food.

I eat potato skins, bacon fat and pizza crusts, the latter ideally dipped in something (hot sauce or caesar salad dressing are good).

I also eat the garnishes in restaurants  - the bits of raw kale or lemon slice, or shiso leaves they decorate dishes with.

I adore sunflower seeds, and really miss them were I live.  Part of the appeal is the slow process of eating them, as it makes the snacking experience last a long time for the amount of calories. I spit the seeds out. My favourite are Spitz (a Canadian brand) is seasoned or chili-lime flavour. However, I am always really, really careful to seal the bag when not using, as cockroaches taste nothing like sunflower seeds.

Cooking wise, I save the seeds when cooking pumpkin or winter squash and roast them for snacks.  I will happily eat the tops of beets, steamed, with vinegar. When I peel and seed tomatoes I toss the seeds and peel in a bag for use when making soup stocks (along with the tough stems of dried mushrooms, random meat bits like chicken backs, feet and heads). I save the liquid from cooking dried beans, as it's great in soups, and adds rich flavour to vegetarian soups and stews. The whey left over from making paneer or yoghurt cheese gets used in soups or instead of water when making bread. I also save and strain bacon fat, the fat from roasting pork belly, goose fat and the better chicken fat for culinary use. The rind from parmesan goes into tomato soups. And stale bread goes into breadcrumbs, croutons, bread soup, bread pudding or bruschetta, depending on the type of bread.

And my own personal quirk is to eat the skin of lemons and limes.  I just like the taste.

bluebirds

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 05:25:06 AM »
Just saw this article on the parts we discard that might be good for us:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1325741/Eating-skin-fruit-vegetables-combat-cancer.html

Not sure I'd go as far as boiling banana peel and drinking the juice though...

Nora

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 07:05:36 AM »
Blarg: when you put the rind of Parmesan in soup, does it melt? Dissolve? Or does it just add flavor?
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.