Author Topic: Treating a Celebrity Like a "Normal" Person  (Read 5965 times)

McCutieBelle

Re: Treating a Celebrity Like a "Normal" Person
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 02:19:13 PM »
I think on one hand it may be one of the hazards of the job... but for me, since I have worked with "stars" and I HOPE to be one someday, I cannot imagine asking for autographs or anything like that, but that is just me.

I think actors have a right to want to separate themselves, and if she wants to go to school then she should be able to have that college experience! :) If she is getting upset at the people who are being too aggressive, she has every right to her feelings and she should want to control the situation if she can.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

TeamBhakta

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 02:38:01 PM »
If she's worried about people snapping towel only photos, maybe it's time to invest in a bathrobe. Or bring a clean outfit that she can wear from the shower room to her dorm room.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »
I see nothing wrong here.

I especially don't think that doing an interview with Vogue in any way gives up her right to a bit of privacy.  So I think that the "wants it both ways" is being very unfair to her.  The Vogue interview is an obligation of her job -- the fact that it involves some invasion of her privacy doesn't mean that she has to give up everything.  Despite our best efforts, everyone who works has to give up some control of ourselves to the job.  Hers might be more public than mine, but the principle is the same.

I'm fortunate (or unfortunate, depending on your point of view) to know a few celebrities IRL.  But I'm very careful to treat them as "regular people" when I interact with them.  It's all about the context: For me, they are parents-of-my-sons-classmate not successful-comedian-and-tv-producer.  We're going to talk about our kids' struggles and successes, not "can I have your autograph."  We might talk about their work, but as work, just as we might talk about mine.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Wavicle

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 02:49:25 PM »
If she's worried about people snapping towel only photos, maybe it's time to invest in a bathrobe. Or bring a clean outfit that she can wear from the shower room to her dorm room.

I think the point was that she shouldn't have to worry about people snapping photos of her mostly naked in her place of residence. Many girls walk around like that in their dorms/apartments and would be horrified if someone snuck a photo. I know it is kind of the norm for celebrities to have stuff leaked, but it still would be a violation and the fact that it could be prevented doesn't change the fact that it is a violation.

McCutieBelle

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 02:55:55 PM »
Art I agree,

I have gotten to meet many very well known actors, one day I was on the phone with my brother and walked by someone I know of from around town. I smiled and said "Hello!" he smiled back and gave me a gracious "hey bella how are you doing" I went back to my brother who asked who that was, I told him "such and such actor who I work with..' :) It was totally normal to me while my brother asked why I did not get his autograph.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

artk2002

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 02:58:00 PM »
I saw a little bit of the interview elsewhere - there was a part where she was discussing money, and it came out that her parents had put all she had earned in a trust or some other account and given her an allowance from it, instead of letting her have it all at once. When she was older, they told her about it, and she was shocked that she had made so much money.

I don't know about the UK, but a trust account is a legal requirement for minors working in entertainment in California.  See Jackie Coogan (among other things, Uncle Fester in the original Addams Family) and the California Child Actor's Bill (also called the Coogan Bill or Coogan Act.)  New York has a similar law (although California's went into effect in 1939 -- NY didn't get it until 2003!)  It's a sad world when the law has to step in to prevent a parent from robbing from a child.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

TeamBhakta

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 02:58:28 PM »

I think the point was that she shouldn't have to worry about people snapping photos of her mostly naked in her place of residence. Many girls walk around like that in their dorms/apartments and would be horrified if someone snuck a photo. I know it is kind of the norm for celebrities to have stuff leaked, but it still would be a violation and the fact that it could be prevented doesn't change the fact that it is a violation.

I understand that it's a violation of her privacy, but it just seems like common sense to go "I'm a celebrity. I'm walking down the common hall in a towel. Maybe that's not a smart idea."

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2010, 03:31:38 PM »

Actually I would say all the girls in the dorm need to worry to some extent about a pic being snapped of them.  The reality is it does happen to "normal" people. The difference being how desirable said picture is and how likely to be identifiable said pic is and how wide spread it likely is to become.

Given her status, She should realize that she is more likely to be a target and more in demand.  I do think she should either take steps to be more modest or adopt a "if it happens it happens" attitude and worry about it.

I think the crying is a bit over the top over an autograph, but maybe it was a straw that broke the hippogryph's back type thing. The comment about "You'll be seeing me all the time anyway" confused me. Does that mean that she will sign it later? 

As for pics.  Well I'd argue that they are treating her differently if they are so deliberately not posting pics of her.  I would think that at a normal college birthday party some of the guest would take pics, including with the GOH and some would post said pics. That seems normal to me.

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »

I think the crying is a bit over the top over an autograph, but maybe it was a straw that broke the hippogryph's back type thing. The comment about "You'll be seeing me all the time anyway" confused me. Does that mean that she will sign it later? 

I do think it was probably the last straw.  I can imagine being stressed, and having that unfortunate last person to ask me the same question set me off.   :-[ 

The comment I took to mean either that she would sign later, or to mean "You'll be seeing me all the time.  It's not going to be that exciting! I'll probably share my lab notes, that's a whole handwriting sample, way more fun!"   :P

I hope she's able to maintain a good line between personal and professional for herself.  It must be hard on her, especially at school after people have seen her as Hermione!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 04:10:36 PM »

Or even photos in a bathrobe or clean clothes but before she's in make-up with her hair done.

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2010, 04:11:27 PM »

I do think it was probably the last straw.  I can imagine being stressed, and having that unfortunate last person to ask me the same question set me off.   :-[ 

The comment I took to mean either that she would sign later, or to mean "You'll be seeing me all the time.  It's not going to be that exciting! I'll probably share my lab notes, that's a whole handwriting sample, way more fun!"   :P

I hope she's able to maintain a good line between personal and professional for herself.  It must be hard on her, especially at school after people have seen her as Hermione!

The thing is I suspect a lot of who ask for her autograph at college would be asking for a younger sibling.  They are not likely to get the lab notes,  and it might be a bit creepy if they did.  

I am sure it is hard, and there is a line but as you said it is between personal and professionally. She is paid very very well professionally, and yes i do think part of those big paychecks are intended somewhat as compensation for the consequences of the job.  She is paid to be bankable.  Bankable stars are well liked, you can only annoy so many fans before you are not as bankable.  Professionally there is a certain amount of fan interaction that is expected.

Where the line is. . . who knows.  I think autographs are fair,  following the person around like a stray puppy is not.    

artk2002

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 04:24:31 PM »
Where the line is. . . who knows.  I think autographs are fair,  following the person around like a stray puppy is not.    

Autographs are fair any time or any place?  Is it ok for someone to accost her coming out of the bathroom?  Or while she's studying?  Is she that well compensated that she's entitled to no personal time at all?  She has to be available 24/7 for autographs?

My take: Autographs and all of that are fine when she's "on duty," at an event related to her work.  Any other time, she's "off duty" and shouldn't be approached for anything.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »

Autographs are fair any time or any place?  Is it ok for someone to accost her coming out of the bathroom?  Or while she's studying?  Is she that well compensated that she's entitled to no personal time at all?  She has to be available 24/7 for autographs?

My take: Autographs and all of that are fine when she's "on duty," at an event related to her work.  Any other time, she's "off duty" and shouldn't be approached for anything.

Amen to that!

Squeaks

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 04:34:21 PM »

If it is a situation where it is fair to approach a normal person with a question (time, directions, etc.) that takes the same time, then it is fair.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 04:36:14 PM »
Not quite the same thing becaus ehe wasn't nearly as famous and his fame was related directly to the university but my sister did ask one fo the football players at U of M for his autograph when she saw him on campus.  He was a sweetheart who agreed to sign his autograph if she's post an advertisement for his church's gospel concert in her dorm and invite her friends to come.