Author Topic: Treating a Celebrity Like a "Normal" Person  (Read 5977 times)

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
Re: Treating a Celebrity Like a "Normal" Person
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »

I think the crying is a bit over the top over an autograph, but maybe it was a straw that broke the hippogryph's back type thing. The comment about "You'll be seeing me all the time anyway" confused me. Does that mean that she will sign it later? 

I do think it was probably the last straw.  I can imagine being stressed, and having that unfortunate last person to ask me the same question set me off.   :-[ 

The comment I took to mean either that she would sign later, or to mean "You'll be seeing me all the time.  It's not going to be that exciting! I'll probably share my lab notes, that's a whole handwriting sample, way more fun!"   :P

I hope she's able to maintain a good line between personal and professional for herself.  It must be hard on her, especially at school after people have seen her as Hermione!

The thing is I suspect a lot of who ask for her autograph at college would be asking for a younger sibling.  They are not likely to get the lab notes,  and it might be a bit creepy if they did.  

I am sure it is hard, and there is a line but as you said it is between personal and professionally. She is paid very very well professionally, and yes i do think part of those big paychecks are intended somewhat as compensation for the consequences of the job.  She is paid to be bankable.  Bankable stars are well liked, you can only annoy so many fans before you are not as bankable.  Professionally there is a certain amount of fan interaction that is expected.

Where the line is. . . who knows.  I think autographs are fair,  following the person around like a stray puppy is not.    

I was thinking more along the lines of a "I'll probably see you in class, we could be lab partners, I'm not going anywhere" sort of sentiment, but yes, stealing lab notes would be creepy.  :)

audrey1962

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 05:01:06 PM »
I attended a party with members of a NFL team. No one asked for autographs. We just had some drinks and talked, just like any other party. IMO, that's the way it should be.

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 05:04:04 PM »
I see this as she is a student and her "job" is an actress. Just like a retail worker doesn't want to be out and about on thier own time and be expected to help random people in different shops find things she doesn't want to be "Emma Watson actress" when she is trying to do her chem homework.

Just because someone works as an actress doesn't mean she is required to give up her entire personal life for the whim of people who watch the movies.  My dentisit doesn't have to do spot exams at the nieghborhood block party either.
93 93/93

drebay

• drebay does not stand for Dr Ebay!
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2010, 05:14:24 PM »

Just because someone works as an actress doesn't mean she is required to give up her entire personal life for the whim of people who watch the movies.  My dentisit doesn't have to do spot exams at the nieghborhood block party either.

I do have a doctor friend that doesn't tell people that he is a doctor.  Too many people that already know his career ask him for medical advice. 

jimithing

• Super Hero!
  • Life Is Too Short to Wear a Bad Outfit!
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »
I see nothing wrong here.

I especially don't think that doing an interview with Vogue in any way gives up her right to a bit of privacy.  So I think that the "wants it both ways" is being very unfair to her. 

I did later say that perhaps that wasn't the best wording.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2010, 12:46:21 AM »
I see nothing wrong here.

I especially don't think that doing an interview with Vogue in any way gives up her right to a bit of privacy.  So I think that the "wants it both ways" is being very unfair to her. 

I did later say that perhaps that wasn't the best wording.

True, but others seemed to have picked up that outlook in the thread.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

nolechica

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2010, 06:24:43 AM »
It's tough enough to be a student normally, doubly so if you are famous, whether in the real world or on campus.  Asking for autographs or snapping pics is inappropriate regardless of where she is on campus.

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2010, 10:34:22 AM »
I think it speaks volumes that she's chosen to live in the dorm when she could easily afford to buy a house and live off campus.

hyzenthlay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 03:46:56 PM »
I think it speaks volumes that she's chosen to live in the dorm when she could easily afford to buy a house and live off campus.

I get the impression that unlike her two main costars she's not particularly interested in a career as an actor. So it certainly makes sense that with the last of the movies coming out she'd try to get into a 'normal' routine. But until the PR for Hallows Part 2 is done she's also got obligations to the studio, like giving interviews.

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2010, 10:27:12 PM »

Genuinely curious; speaks volumes about what?  I can think of several interpretations of that action.
"Its so fluffy I could DIE"

kansha

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2010, 10:53:39 PM »
that, as much as possible she wants to experience a 'normal' college life by living in a dorm?

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2010, 10:57:02 PM »
that, as much as possible she wants to experience a 'normal' college life by living in a dorm?

That happens to be my interpretation as well, I just couldn't tell what Carnation's interpretation was as worded.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2010, 12:20:43 AM »
Where the line is. . . who knows.  I think autographs are fair,  following the person around like a stray puppy is not.    

Autographs are fair any time or any place?  Is it ok for someone to accost her coming out of the bathroom?  Or while she's studying?  Is she that well compensated that she's entitled to no personal time at all?  She has to be available 24/7 for autographs?

My take: Autographs and all of that are fine when she's "on duty," at an event related to her work.  Any other time, she's "off duty" and shouldn't be approached for anything.

If it is a situation where it is fair to approach a normal person with a question (time, directions, etc.) that takes the same time, then it is fair.

I don't agree.

I have people approach me for the time and directions (happens in NYC often). It's not the same level of "intrusive" that asking me for something more personal is (an autograph is pretty personal, actually).

The time of day, how to find Rockefeller Center--those have nothing to do with me. There's a serious difference in the impact if you approach me on the street, in the coffee shop, and ask me something that's connected to ME.

Fluffy Cat

• Formerly MoretaTorene
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2010, 01:35:54 AM »
I agree with Toots, and I'm also used to being asked for directions on a regular basis.  There is a very significant difference regardless of the time involved with each request.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2010, 01:14:05 AM »
So if I was walking down the street in L.A. and I saw Willie Mitchell (my favourite hockey player), I couldn't ask him for his autograph?

:(
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.