Author Topic: Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce  (Read 1827 times)

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce
« on: June 19, 2007, 02:12:48 PM »
I got a small can of Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and now I don't know what to do with them.  I added a little to some mayo and yogurt for a dip, but now I don't know what to do with the rest of them.  Any suggestions?
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Psykogrl

Re: Chipotle peppers in Adobo sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 10:37:39 PM »
You can take a piece of one, put it with some plain BBQ sauce in your food processor... Viola, Chipotle BBQ sauce... You can do that with pretty much any sauce actually... Mayo, Ketchup, Ranch Dressing....

You can also puree them with a little of the sauce, and mix into ground beef to make into hamburgers, taco meat, meatloaf.... good for chicken fajitas if you mix it with a little sour cream...

when in doubt, go to foodtv.com or allrecipes.com and type in Chipotle and you can get all kinds of recipes :D

edenparadox

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 02:02:07 PM »
You can puree them and use them in a meat marinade or even add a bit to mashed potatoes for kick. Or put them in a stew. Think of them as seasoning and you can pretty much use them for anything. Except chocolate cake.

SkylerY

• I love my rat terrier!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 02:25:04 PM »
I know I'm a couple of months late responding to this, but I just saw this recipe in the Recipe Binder on Facebook and immediately recalled this discussion.  Here it is if you haven't used the peppers up yet!

Chipotle Shrimp

Description From Rick Bayless an easy dinner for a hot night. Add some cooked white rice and sliced avocado for luscious evening meal

Serves 3-4
Preparation Time 15 min
Cooking Time 15 min

Ingredients

1 14oz can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
2 chipotle chiles in Adobo
1 Tbl olive oil
1 lb shrimp 20-30 size, shelled and deveined
1/2-3/4 cup stock, fish, chicken or veggie
1 Tbl cilantro
1 tsp salt

Method

Put tomatoes and chiles with a little of the adobo sauce in a blender and blend into a smooth texture. Alternatively, blend two cups of a good roasted spicy salsa. Heat oil over a medium fire and when hot add tomato chile mixture. Cook until the consistency of tomato paste. Add enough stock to achieve a thick soupy consistency and simmer about five minutes. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp is pink, about 3-4 minutes. Remove shrimp with slotted spoon and serve over rice. Add a little of the sauce over top, sprinkle with cilantro and avocado slices and enjoy.

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 04:54:33 PM »
* Exported from MasterCook *

Turkey With Chipotle Sauce

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 4     Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : turkey

Amount  Measure       Ingredient -- Preparation Method
--------  ------------  --------------------------------

2          teaspoons  vegetable oil
  1              pound  turkey tenderloin -- (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick)
  3/4              cup  chopped tomato -- seeded, about 1 medium
  2        tablespoons  sliced green onions -- tops

CHIPOTLE SAUCE
  1/2              cup  plain nonfat yogurt
  2      tablespoons  chopped green onions
  1        tablespoon  chipotle chiles canned in adobo
  2      tablespoons  peanut butter -- creamy style
 1/8        teaspoon  salt

Prepare Chipotle Sauce; keep warm.
Heat oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Cook turkey in oil, turning once, until no longer pink, 8 to 10 minutes. Arrange on serving plate; top with Chipotle Sauce. Sprinkle with tomato and green onion tops.

CHIPOTLE SAUCE:Place all ingredients in blender container. Cover and blend on medium speed, stopping blender occasionally to scrape sides, until well blended, about 20 seconds. Heat sauce over low heat until hot, stirring occasionally
                                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 219 Calories; 7g Fat (30.3% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 71mg Cholesterol; 197mg Sodium.  Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat.

NOTES : Chipotle chilis are ripened, dried and smoked jalapeņo chilis. These wrinkled brown chilis have a smoky flavor and can be purchased in specialty food shops and in the gourmet section of many supermarkets.

*If turkey pieces are too thick, flatten each piece to 1/4- to 1/2-inch thickness between plastic wrap or waxed paper.

Casey

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 06:47:18 PM »
One tip- always seed chipotles. The seeds are tough and bitter, and removing them is easy. Just slice off the end, and press.