Author Topic: Easy ways to clean cookie and baking sheets  (Read 3765 times)

Ms_Shell

Easy ways to clean cookie and baking sheets
« on: November 05, 2010, 03:45:37 PM »
So you know how, after you've had your baking sheets for a while, they all develop this brown film around the edges and in the corners?  Does anyone have an easy way to clean them off and make them look new again?  I've tried everything I can think of and it doesn't come off at all.  I'm reduced to placing foil over the top before I bake cookies, but I'd rather stop doing that because a) foil gets expensive if you're using it all the time, b) the shininess of the foil sometimes lead to overcooking.

Any advice? 
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
Re: Easy ways to clean cookie and baking sheets
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 03:47:55 PM »
I have no great idea for cleaning them but instead of foil I use parchment paper and it works great. You can use it several times before having to get rid of it.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »
I'd like to know.  
I use a cheap silicon sheet for the first batch and parchment paper after that.  It doesn't lead to overbaking.  

AdakAK

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:49:20 PM »
I've had good luck with the Dawn Power Dissolver.  I spray it on, leave it for a while and then scrub.  Sometimes it takes a few times if it's really bad.  Not that mine ever get really bad or anything...   ;)  

Ms_Shell

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 03:50:10 PM »
Ooh, great idea.  I never considered parchment paper because I thought it would burn in the oven.  I have used Magic Erasers on the sheets and it kind of works, but not very well.

ETA: I'll have to look into the Power Dissolver thing.  Thanks for the tip.
"I've never been a millionaire, but I just know I'd be darling at it." - Dorothy Parker

minky

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 03:56:45 PM »
Just use them the way they are.  Why do you have to cover them?  The brown isn't any different then the seasoning on a frying pan.  Do you find that the brown parts of the pan make the food cook unevenly?  I've never noticed that, but I mostly use my pizza stone for baking cookies.

Ms_Shell

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »
Just use them the way they are.  Why do you have to cover them?  The brown isn't any different then the seasoning on a frying pan.  Do you find that the brown parts of the pan make the food cook unevenly?  I've never noticed that, but I mostly use my pizza stone for baking cookies.

A pizza stone is on the Christmas wish list!  ;D  I didn't know you could use them to bake cookies too, is there anything you have to do differently when using one?

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 04:02:54 PM »

No kidding. I have a great pizza stone. I never thought of using it for cookies. I will have to try that. Thanks!

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 04:06:15 PM »
Do you, by any chance, use non-stick cooking spray like Pam?

I have found that Pam makes baking sheets and the like hopelessly gross when it gets baked on.

Parchment paper is good, though.  My grocery store sells rolls of it right near the waxed paper and the foil.

I actually have a brownie recipe that calls for lining the pan with wax paper.  I don't think I'd use wax paper in the oven for any other purpose, but it works for the brownies. :)

Ms_Shell

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 04:08:54 PM »

I have found that Pam makes baking sheets and the like hopelessly gross when it gets baked on.

Parchment paper is good, though.  My grocery store sells rolls of it right near the waxed paper and the foil.

I actually have a brownie recipe that calls for lining the pan with wax paper.  I don't think I'd use wax paper in the oven for any other purpose, but it works for the brownies. :)

Actually, I do.  You're right that it makes the sheets completely gross, but I've yet to find a way to get them looking nice again.  :'(

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »

Actually, I do.  You're right that it makes the sheets completely gross, but I've yet to find a way to get them looking nice again.  :'(

Me, I quit using Pam. :D  None of my baking sheets are worth a whole lot, so I just ignore the fact that they're a little gross.  I might be more torn up about it if any of them were particularly expensive or difficult to replace, but they're not.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 04:23:17 PM »
First, don't use Pam, it just makes cookware all gummy.  I only use it under lasagna and enchiladas.

Second, make a paste from dishwasher detergent and let it sit on the cookie sheets for a few hours before rinsing it off.  If you have enough room in your sink, soak the sheets there.  I've had good luck with this.  

Third, parchment paper is made for this.  It will not burn and cookies just slide off.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 04:26:00 PM by Scout Finch »
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Julep

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 04:32:34 PM »
I went out and bought five half sheet pans from a restaurant supply company for something like $4 apiece, and they're heavier than anything I've ever found at BB&B and the like. AND, they still haven't started doing that brown thing yet. I did find with my old ones that they did the brown thing faster if I ran them through the dishwasher.

You could always spoil yourself and go out and get a silpat!!!

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 04:47:51 PM »
This just made me realize my cookie sheet is 28 years old.

***Scurries off to buy Dawn Power Disolver***

Everlee

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 05:13:26 PM »
For the people who recommend a pizza stone, I wouldn't use it to bake pizza and deserts on the same one.  We use our pizza pan so much for pizza and garlic bread that I think baking cookies on it might give them a pizza taste.   :-X
I would buy two, one for the meals and one for the deserts. 

I never use Pam on my cookie sheets.  It makes them nasty.  I usually just leave them the way they are and nothing ever sticks to them.